Subject: DIDDY POLES IN PONDS

Posted on: July 21 2009 @ 12:08 PM
By: jhuyser

Content:

Any of you use diddy poles in farm ponds for cats? if so do you use the same basic set ups as river diddy poles? Looking for different opinions...

Usually jug farm ponds but i do not have a boat at this time..

Replies:

Re: DIDDY POLES IN PONDS

Posted on: July 21 2009 @ 12:11 PM
By: klub222

Content:

ussually use jugs too but i would think that you would use the same stuff as a river

Posted on: July 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
By: BigDud1983

Content:

I just have a question real quick, what would be the point to use diddy poles in ponds. Im asking merely out of pure curiousity b/c i thought the point was to run the river with them to bag some huge boogers. Not that they wouldnt get that big in a pond, but wouldnt it be more fun to just catch them on rod and reel. Just curious as to what the incentive is?

Dustin

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 08:28 AM

Content:

I generally jug ponds but i am without a boat so figured i would set some diddy poles instead. Jugging and diddy poles both kind of the same style of fishing "lazy". Smile The more lines you have in the water the better your odds.

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 12:44 PM
By: FranktheTank

Content:

Im pretty sure that its illegal to set diddy poles on ponds and lake!!! There has to be moving water like the res or a river or creek. Trust me on this ive been busted by the dnr on a lake and its cost me 100 bucks a line. Eek!

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
By: walleyegolfer

Content:

I would assume you cannot use them on ponds,

From the Iowa fishing regs:

"Trotlines" are lines commonly called "tagged lines," "throw lines," "bank lines," "ditty lines, " "ditty poles" and other names.

You can use trotlines in all rivers and streams of the state, except those in Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Fayette, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque, and Jackson counties. Trotlines may be used in the above nine counties only in the following stream sections:
Maquoketa River, mouth to Backbone State Park dam
North Fork Maquoketa River, mouth to Jones-Dubuque county line
Turkey River, mouth to Elkader dam
Upper Iowa River, mouth to the first dam upstream in Winneshiek County
A valid sport fishing license is needed to use "trotlines". You can use one to five "trotlines". All the "Trotlines" you are using can have a total of 15 hooks. For example: You can have one "trotline" with 15 hooks or 5 "trotlines" with three hooks each.

Each separate "trotline" must have a tag attached, plainly labeled with the owner's name and address. You must check each "trotline" at least once each 24 hours.

You cannot use "trotlines" in a stocked lake, within 300 feet of a dam or spillway, or in a stream or portion of stream, which is closed or posted against their use.

One end of the "trotline" must be set from the shore and visible above the shore waterline. You cannot set the "trotline" entirely across a stream or body of water. Untagged or unlawful lines can be confiscated by any conservation officer.

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 01:01 PM
By: bowtechbandit

Content:

pretty sure in a farm pond, as long as you have the owners permission, you can do whatever you want

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 01:23 PM
By: walleyegolfer

Content:

Bowtech, you maybe right. I just try to stay away from what I call "grey areas" in the regulations.

Was just trying to help. Smile

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
By: BigDud1983

Content:

you CANT USE diddy poles on your own private pond???? that just makes no sense, and when i read the regs i didnt see anything about that. It just doesnt seem to make any sense for them to tell you how to fish your own personal pond that you paid for. ESPECIALLY if you privately paid to have it stocked.

Dustin

Posted on: July 22 2009 @ 03:28 PM
By: scouter

Content:

Quote by: walleyegolfer

I would assume you cannot use them on ponds,

You cannot use "trotlines" in a stocked lake, within 300 feet of a dam or spillway, or in a stream or portion of stream, which is closed or posted against their use.

One end of the "trotline" must be set from the shore and visible above the shore waterline. You cannot set the "trotline" entirely across a stream or body of water. Untagged or unlawful lines can be confiscated by any conservation officer.

I think it means you cannot set them within 100 yds of a dam or spillway. It's not saying you cannot set them in a private pond at all.

Posted on: July 23 2009 @ 09:59 AM
By: notimeforit

Content:

My take on the subject-
Public waters and private waters are seperate in regulations. Example; the new panfish regs don't apply to private waters.

Not having run ditties for YEARS I am not sure how effective they would be on a pond.
A combination of jugs and ditties might be a better option. Tie the jug on the ditty pole and toss out in the water.
Just a thougt, I have never done it.

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 08:04 AM

Content:

ya i would be on a private pond Wink if you own it you can do anything you want to it Wink

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 08:14 AM
By: TeamAsgrow

Content:

You can always do anything you want, public or private, it just depends on how deep your wallet is.
Not to start an argument but regulations apply to private ponds as well. If you decide to take 15 bass out of your pond for the table and get on a roadway and are stopped by a DNR officerm whether you were on public or private land you are over the limit.

I always go by what my old man said, you cando anything you want, as long as you can afford it.

Just my 2 cents

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 01:41 PM
By: dmassner

Content:

Quote by: jhuyser

Any of you use diddy poles in farm ponds for cats? if so do you use the same basic set ups as river diddy poles? Looking for different opinions...

Usually jug farm ponds but i do not have a boat at this time..

Works just fine. Have caught lot's of cats this way. Only fish this way if camping at the pond with kid's.

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
By: TJ+Davis

Content:

............I stand corrected!

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 02:12 PM
By: TeamAsgrow

Content:

Fishing Private Waters
Much fishing in Iowa is done on private waters with consent of
the property owner. Iowa residents and nonresidents 16 years old
and older are required to have a valid Iowa fishing license to fish
farm ponds and privately owned lakes. Only owners or tenants of
land and their children under 18 may fish on such lands without a
license. All anglers on private waters must abide by rules and regulations
governing fishing, including bag limits.
Statewide length limits
do not apply on private waters.

Pg 18 of the Regulations.

Usually doesnt hurt to read the Regs, instead of trying to figure it out via online forums

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 07:45 PM
By: Stomper

Content:

So you think you can shoot all the hen pheasants you want on your own ground and drive around with them. Rules dont apply? Confused

Posted on: July 27 2009 @ 08:12 PM
By: FranktheTank

Content:

Ok Davis lets just say you caught 15 bass over the limit and drove down the road and get pulled over but the DNR. How you going to prove you caught those fish in a privite pond? Do you Really think hes going to believe you?! Confused If that was the case, anyone could go over the limit on public waters and lie to the DNR claming that you were at a pond. Just doesnt sound like it would work. Does it?

Posted on: July 28 2009 @ 12:25 PM
By: TJ+Davis

Content:

Ok guys i admitted i was wrong....big deal. In my defence though I have a point. I do know the Panfish limit does not apply to Private ponds and I had thought this stood for all species. My bad!

I never said i supported this I just was claiming thats how I understood the law. I rarely keep fish from ponds and If I do they are Crappies and Blue Gills. I would never keep a bass when we have Gills, Crappies, Walleyes, and Cats swimming in are waters!

Stomper, the pheasant comment is irrelevant.

Frank the tank.......When you catch however many gills you want and drive down any road. When you get stopped and the CO checks and sees you are over your limit on Blue Gills for Public waters, Yes you can just say you caught them in a private pond. I know it doesn't make sense but that is how the law reads. Same applies with length limits. Unless they have proof that a fish came from a certain body of water, there is no way they can enforce the law. I know this isn't right and I do not support it but that's the way it is.

Posted on: July 28 2009 @ 01:44 PM
By: nitro

Content:

Quote by: FranktheTank

Ok Davis lets just say you caught 15 bass over the limit and drove down the road and get pulled over but the DNR. How you going to prove you caught those fish in a privite pond? Do you Really think hes going to believe you?! Confused If that was the case, anyone could go over the limit on public waters and lie to the DNR claming that you were at a pond. Just doesnt sound like it would work. Does it?

What if I went to the Mississippi River and caught five, 14" bass and was stopped by the DNR on the way home. In Iowa you can only keep three and in most cases they have to be 15". My defense would be, "I caught them in the river" Not much the DNR could do. You're innocent until proven guilty (except on internet forums)

Iowa Sportsman - Forum
http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=426785