Subject: Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 01:45 PM
By: crappii

Content:

Any of you guys use them?? I am thinking about giving it a try this spring or summer. I have seen guys use pvc for their poles. What diameter and length works best? I think it would be fun to put the boat in the river and camp out on a sand bar. Any one have any tips or techniques that work well for you??

Replies:

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 01:51 PM
By: Tony

Content:

What is a ditty pole?

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 02:00 PM

Content:

I think they are also known as throw lines. Usually they are softwood sticks or pvc poles stuck in the bank along the river for catfish. I have never tried it but have seen them while floating the river. I checked the Dnr site and you can use 5 poles with up to 15 hooks per person. Maybe I spelled ditty wrong???

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 02:29 PM
By: Coach

Content:

I am not quite sure what the exact diameter of the pvc that we use is, but it is about as small as you can find. We cut them in 5 ft. lengths, and drill a hole at one end. We tie on braided nylon anywhere from 6-8 ft. in length, and tie that to either a steel leader or even a snap swivel will work. For bait we use mainly sunfish. Good times!

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 02:52 PM

Content:

thanks Coach,

Do you use weight on the line?? What kind of depth do you look for? I would assume that you would look for a current break, like down river of a log pile?

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 03:06 PM

Content:

hmm, are these meant to be like trotlines where they are left unattended for a certain period of time?

I'm not following the "15 hooks per person". Do you mean each ditty pole can have 15 hooks?

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 03:28 PM

Content:

Tony, Here are the rules on ditty poles or trotlines. I found this on the Iowa Dnr site:

Trotlines" as used in this section refers to those lines commonly called "tagged lines," "throw lines," "bank lines," "ditty lines, " "ditty poles" and other names.

You can use trotlines in all rivers and streams of the state, except those in Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Fayette, Clayton, Delaware, Dubuque and Jackson counties. Trotlines may be used in the above nine counties only in the following stream sections: Maquoketa River, mouth to Backbone State Park dam; North Fork Maquoketa River, mouth to Jones-Dubuque county line; Turkey River, mouth to Elkader dam; and Upper Iowa River, mouth to the first dam upstream in Winneshiek County.

A valid sport fishing license is needed to use "trotlines".

You can use one to five "trotlines".

All the "Trotlines" you are using can have a total of 15 hooks. For example:

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 04:17 PM
By: Driftless

Content:

Very interesting,

Here's a drawing I found of a trot-line.

http://www.geocities.com/woodycats/trot.html

Is this what y'all are talking about?

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 04:37 PM

Content:

Yeah, that's kind of it. The main difference is I think the "ditty pole" is meant to be more portable that a standard trotline. I could be wrong.

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 26 2002 @ 07:15 PM

Content:

Here is my redneck lingo:

A diddy pole is a limber stick or pvc pipe stuck in the bank with only one hook.

A trot line is several hooks, up to 15, on one line, usually tied to a exposed log or tree stump.

Noodlin' is hand fishing for the big boys!

Giggin' is spear fishing for bullfrogs.

Juggin' is usually reserved to turtle fishing with bleach bottles in ponds. We have also had a lot of fun tying lines to 2 liter pop bottles, throwing them in, and following them down stream. This is for catfish.

As far as weight for the diddy poles, we do both. Egg sinker if we want it down a few feet or we use no weight at all and let the bait swim near the surface.

We set the diddy poles on cut banks with current breaks, log jams, eddies, etc... Anywhere you would fish for catfish with a long pole. Tying a line to a branch of an overhead tree works well also.

Very relaxing and enjoyable time on the water with good friends!

Make sure to mark your diddy poles or lines with proper ID.

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 27 2002 @ 12:18 PM
By: Wolf

Content:

You got it Coach. We use pvc or river willow sticks. We usually set the poles with a sunfish and depending on the current, a weight. Ditty poles work great on slow moving water at the edge of a deep hole. When those flatheads start their prowl, they can't resist that sunfish.

Good fishing to you.

Terry

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 28 2002 @ 10:29 AM
By: ty515

Content:

The jugging that coach speaks of, is it legal in Iowa? I was always told it was illigal. I would just like to know b/c it is alot of fun. We jug fish on bull sholes in the ozarks. It is a ton of fun to watch those cats pull the jug around with you in chase.

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 28 2002 @ 11:00 AM

Content:

We asked a DNR officer about the legality of 'juggin' and were told that as long as we didn't exceed our line or hook limitations, we were legal.

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 28 2002 @ 11:02 AM

Content:

I forgot to add that we do this on small interior rivers, not in lakes or reservoirs. That may be a totally different story.

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: February 28 2002 @ 11:36 AM

Content:

Juggin' is a bit different. Because the jugs aren't attached to shore and float free you can only have two jugs and only two hooks-per-jug (same as with a regular fishing rod).

Ditty poles on the river

Posted on: March 15 2002 @ 10:44 AM
By: oly

Content:

I grew up doing bank poles on the iowa river (thats what we call them) Are you guys sure we can jug fish in iowa? I can't find any info to support this!

Iowa Sportsman - Forum
http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=555