Subject: New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 14 2004 @ 10:12 PM
By: HawgHunter

Content:

A guy at work claims someone caught a new state record crappie at 3 mile 4 to 5 weeks ago. I've heard nothing about it and have checked the DNR web site....nothing to back this up. Anyone heard any such rumors???

Replies:

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:31 AM
By: VikeFan

Content:

I've heard nothing on a crappie record. we did all hear about the 101 lb. blue cat caught in Council Bluffs.

As an aside, A guy I work with said a friend of his caught a 7 lb. bullhead somewhere in northwest Iowa over the weekend of the Fourth. This guy apparently is sure what he caught is a bullhead, not a channel cat or flathead. If so, it is a new state record. One problem: this guy did not bother buying a license, so he can't claim the fish.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:36 AM
By: phishy

Content:

Can't claim the fish, or doesn't want a ticket?

If you can still claim it, I think it would be worth the $50 or so ticket.

I guess now would be a appropriate time to ask....anyone know how much the ticket is for no license? Is it more if you have fish in your possesion?

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:38 AM
By: phishy

Content:

Oh wait, it just dawned on me that it was just a smelly bullhead.

Now we know who the true "King Bullheader" is.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:40 AM
By: dblthroat_patch

Content:

i may be wrong, but i think it is like a $120 fine even if you don't no have your licence on you.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:52 AM

Content:

I could be wrong, but I don't think a record-size fish caught by illegal means, such as fishing without a license, would be eligible for the record book. I also doubt that many tackle manufacturers and the like would be beating down your door for endorsements, even if the illegally captured record-sized fish were a "glamor" species like walleye or largemouth. So, no name in the book, and no cash payoff.

The fact that this doorknob blew his one chance at fame because he was too lazy to buy a license is, I think, punishment enough for breaking the law in this case. The odds of his catching another state record, with or without a license, are infinitesimal.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 11:45 AM
By: ahartung

Content:

I had a record 24" bluegill on my line Monday which mysteriously shrunk to 10.5" when I pulled it out of the water. Tricky bastards.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 01:00 PM
By: ayrhen

Content:

I would never fish without a license, but didn't it occur to this person (as it did to me when I read the post) to go buy a license immediately after he caught the supposed record? For $17 he could avoid the fine and claim the record by telling everyone he caught it shortly after buying said license (although it would be a bit underhanded).

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
By: Jefro

Content:

Heck, you could keep a bullhead alive in a bucket for a day or two. Catch the fish, buy a license, wait a day, turn it in. Buying alicense up front would be the preferable scenario of course. Smile

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 02:49 PM
By: Rippa

Content:

Funny thing happened a few years back behind L & D 15 on the Mississippi. I just pulled up to see a guy hauling in(I can't rember exact weight) a 9lb 2oz Brown Trout. Most people fishing there didn't even know what it was when I identified it to everyone. This is a very uncommon catch this far down the river to say the least.

Beings that I fish for Trout on occassion, I asked the guy if he had a Trout Stamp? After a huge eye opening pause, he said yes. I said well thats good, cuz otherwise you would have had to throw her back in. He left immediately.

My friend runs the tackle shop @ Credit Island where the fish was officially weighed. The catch was even reported & appeared in the Quad City Times paper too. The funny thing is, the guy bought the stamp from the same shop not even 5 minutes before weighing the fish in. Rolling Eyes

<,"}/>{ Rippa

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 03:28 PM
By: DuckMan

Content:

So, has anyone heared anything about this new record crappie????

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 05:34 PM
By: JRwIA

Content:

I'm not a trout fisherman but I thought you only need to possess a trout stamp to fish and keep fish from a designated trout water which doesn't include the mississippi. is that correct?

Regarding the crappie. DNR in Des Moines hasn't had anything submitted. Rumor has it that a fish that weighed just over 5 lbs. on some cheapo scale was taken from a pond in the 3 mile area. I talked to one person who saw it at the baitshop in Afton. The angler and the fish was last seen, supposedly heading to the post office to have it weighed but never showed up. So who knows what the deal was.

Maybe a cougar in blaze orange with an appetite for muskie happened across angler and fish and thought...... why not try these critters too?

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 08:05 PM
By: ahartung

Content:

I don't have a problem with the guy buying a trout stamp like that. He probably didn't know he needed one until you said something and tried to make amends by buying one right away. Hell, he didn't even know it was a trout.

This makes me courious, do they alwas check for the proper licenses when you claim to have a record fish?

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 08:36 PM

Content:

I am pretty sure you have to have a Trout stamp anywhere in IA to take trout. I didn't have a problem with him buying it after the fact either. I just thought that it kinda fit this thread. That Brown was a long ways from the state record. According to the DNR in Clinton, I guess a few trout are taken in this pool every year.

If someone did in fact have a 5lb Crappie in Iowa, I would have to really question the possibility that it was caught in deep, Southern waters, and then brought up here. From what I have read, that size of fish would be nearly impossible to achieve here. The length of the growth rate and season here in conjunction with a Crappie's reletively short life span sets off a BS alarm with me. I have seen a 4lb fish, but only in the South, and well before this time of year.

Me thinks a fish story has been born!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 09:21 PM
By: d00buck

Content:

Rippa, I will have to disagree with you. The state record crappie stands at 4lbs 9oz. I have personnally seen one close to this. Why is it so hard to believe there is a 5lb'er swimming in the waters of IA somewhere?

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 09:37 PM
By: banjo50

Content:

Why not a world record of 8+.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 09:53 PM
By: dtniday

Content:

Up until this year you didn't need a trout stamp to fish for trout only keep them they changed it this year so you have to have a stamp to even fish for trout.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 10:10 PM
By: lebruce

Content:

Ripa, There's huge crappie in the northern states too.Iowa has a state recordof 4.9 and that out runs or runs with most of the southern states.Minnesota has a 5 lb. crappie listed you can see the list here .I think most people would be surprised by how big the fish can get in Iowa.Is there someone to contact in the IDNR that could tell us what the largest crappie they have shocked up in the state ?

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 15 2004 @ 10:27 PM
By: shaley

Content:

I have personly caught 19" crappies and seen a few over 20" taken from pits in west central IA and places that shocked me even held fish.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 01:08 AM

Content:

I asked about the guy who allegedly caught this huge bullhead--he ate it before it occurred to him that he could buy a license and claim the fish. Apparently, he is not the brightest light on the tree. Of course, this is a second-hand account I am relying on, so the whole thing could be bogus. Cool

As for the trout caught below Lock and Dam 15, it is not as outrageous as it sounds at first. In southern Minnesota and northern Iowa, plenty of trout streams dump into the Mississippi. Up there, it is not unheard of to catch trout in the river when the water temps are below seventy. The biggest trout I have ever caught (a 19" brown), I caught in the mouth of a trout stream where it dumped into a Mississippi backwater in southern MN. The backwater was connected directly to the main channel--that trout could have reached the Mississippi in five minutes with no trouble. I don't know how many trout streams enter in to the river around Davenport, but a big trout could have been washed down from further north. So long as the water was cool enough for it, as it is from October to April on the Mississippi, a brown trout would do fine there.

I have no idea of whether a crappie can grow to five lbs in Iowa. However, the five lb. Minnesota record is almost certainly a fraud. It was taken many years ago when standards for certifying a state record were looser, and no photograph of this fish exists. The record was granted on the testimony of the angler and his friend the baitshop owner who weighed the fish, which no one else saw. Supposedly, they ate the fish. It was allegedly caught on the Canadian border, where crappie almost certainly do not have the growing season to get that big. No crappie close to that size has been taken anywhere that far north. This doesn't mean crappie can't get that big in Iowa, though.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 06:13 AM
By: whiterook

Content:

The Iowa state record crappie is held by Ted Trowbridge of "rural" Marshalltown. I met him a couple of months ago while out scouting for coyote territory to hunt on. He told me he caught it using a small jig on a bobber on a windy day. He's a nice elderly man. As mentioned earlier, there are many "things" that are hard to believe.

The biggest crappie I've ever caught was 13."

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 07:44 AM
By: Stomper

Content:

The Iowa record was caught in 1981

Minnesota 1940

They dont get that big very often in this area.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 11:43 AM

Content:

To all,

I wish I could remember where I read the detailed reports about the growth rate combined with a Northern Climate, and the mortality rate concerning panfish for our state. I took a keen interest to this subject when I wass thinking of becoming a biologist for Iowa. Not to mention, to hold either record is definitely one of my dreams!

This study showed that to achieve a Crappie, or Bluegill that is larger than 3.5lbs in states that normally have Winter periods in excess of two months (where the temperatures are commonly below freezing) is highly improbable.

The study listed the expected life span of Crappie and Bluegill in our state. I believe the maximum was 8 years. The probability of a fish surviving the length of time required to achieve such an immense size would surpass this length of time, and the probability of this occuring was less than 1%.

This study also questioned whether the IA, & MN records concerning Crappie(IA & MN) and Bluegill(IA)were actually genuine. The record Bluegill was never geneticly checked, and cross breeding was highly suspected. It stated that in so many words, these records may never be broken in modern times.

This report, combined with all of my years of mainly focussing on panfishing are what I based my statements on. My biggest caught in Iowa to date, has not surpassed the 3lb mark, but I do know where some of those monsters are at. I am not saying it is impossible to break our records, just VERY unlikely.

The Bullhead story I think could be true. I have caught them in Ottertail Lake MN in excess of 3lbs several times. I even caught a 2.38lber (Black Bullhead) out of Brush Creek while Trout fishing.

On the Trout in the Mississippi. There are trout streams that feed this river within 50 miles of me. The closest that I am aware of, is in Bellvue after the Big Mill & Little Mill creeks have joined. That pool of the river is much deeper, and probably cleaner than here in Davenport. That is why I was so surprised of this catch. I guess that Trout are even caught in the river down by Muscatine too!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 04:21 PM
By: manho

Content:

Go to the DNR station at Brighton (Lake Darling) they have a mounted crappie that would have been 5lb+ (according to DNR) but the guy hauled around out of water for a day looking for an official scale. I was told by DNR guy that he caught it at Lake Darling trolling crankbaits for bass.

New Ia Crappie Record??

Posted on: July 16 2004 @ 04:38 PM
By: stitch

Content:

It's 60, I know, I got one this year because I lost my license.

Iowa Sportsman - Forum
http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=59533