Subject: Arrowhead Found. Need Information.

Posted on: May 07 2012 @ 12:48 PM
By: oltrapr65

Content:

I'm a newbie to the forum but have spent quite a bit of time reading all of your posts over the last 2-3 years.
Last December I moved out to the Saylorville Lake area. While moving some dirt around this last Saturday with
my son messing around while I was doing the work I hear him yell out "Wow!! Now this is a real arrowhead".
Did not think much of it till he came over and really did have an arrowhead in his hands. I have some pictures of it
I was hoping someone might be able to post and then maybe others might be able to provide some information on it.
Like how old it might be and what group of people it might of been made by and used for? Thanks.

Replies:

Re: Arrowhead Found. Need Information.

Posted on: May 07 2012 @ 07:47 PM
By: Prime_Focus

Content:

Welcome to the site! I always like to see another artifact hunter join in. Here is a link that shows you how to post pictures. It's really easy once you've done it. Basically, just upload them to a free site like Photobucket then link them to your thread here on Iowa Sportsman.
If you have trouble figuring it out, send them to me and I'll post them for you.

Re: Re: Arrowhead Found. Need Information.

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 05:21 PM

Content:

Here are a couple of pictures of the point that James' son found. It looks like quartz to me but not sure. It looks like it's pretty worn but a lot of my quartz pieces look that way. I'm not sure what type it is. Can anyone hazard a guess?

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 06:21 PM
By: cal

Content:

oltrapr65, Nice find! Sorry can't help on the rest.

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 08:04 PM
By: Tomcat

Content:

Welcome to the site!

Nice find!! I'd like to hear the same answers, as I found one very, very similar a few years ago! Prime, may I also send you a pic of mine, it is made out of white quartz with some pink on one side. Remakably similar!!

Tomcat

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 08:26 PM

Content:

Sure, send it to me. I'll post it.

Re: Re: Arrowhead Found. Need Information.

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 09:53 PM

Content:

Here is a picture of Tomcat's point.

Here are Tomcat's and James' points together. They are very similar. Still not sure what type of point. Maybe someone could chime in.

Posted on: May 08 2012 @ 10:45 PM
By: traveler

Content:

Durst comes to mind but I'm not an expert by any means Wink

http://projectilepoints.net/Pages/Searches/Points/Durst.html

Posted on: May 09 2012 @ 07:09 AM
By: oltrapr65

Content:

Tom thanks for posting the pics for me!!!! Tomcat that is amazing they look very similar and I think Traveler may have hit the nail on the head!!!! Tomcat what area of the state did you find yours in? Since my boy found that one he has been wanting to go out and dig that corner of our front yard up!!!! I have lived in Iowa all my life and have trapped, hunted and fished since I was a boy and I have never found one before. I was pretty surprised when my boy reached down and pulled it out of the ground!!!! Cool stuff!!!!

Posted on: May 09 2012 @ 12:48 PM
By: Tomcat

Content:

I found mine in Keokuk County near the bottom of a south facing slope on the north side of the South Skunk River. I was taking a walk in the mud after a night of rain with the DNR director at that time, Paul Johnson. I had just mentioned to him minutes earlier that this would be a likely spot to find a point, and lo and behold, right in front of me, there it was in all it's glory!! It never ceases to amaze me how similar some points are, and I feel sure they were made by the same tribe, and made a certain way for specific purposes. Congrats to your son for the find, now he's bitten by the bug! And of course thanks to Prime for posting up my pic!

Tomcat

Posted on: May 09 2012 @ 05:22 PM

Content:

You're welcome. I'd have to say that Traveler has hit the ID pretty close. If that really is a Durst then it is approx 2500 - 3000 years old. Those were made before Christ lived.

Iowa Sportsman - Forum
http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=742722