Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/24/2014 @ 01:42 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Mushroom Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Re: Re: Morel Mushrooms! Widespread April 30th.

|  Printable Version
Weather Hunter
 April 25 2011 11:37AM (Read 2866 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yup. That's my forecast. It's still early, and the recent cool pattern has set us back. But "little greys" are beginning to fire up and if the weather cards are delt right on Thursday, Friday and Saturday... I'm expecting the first good showing of White Morels (little greys) and even some of the Common Morel (Yellow Morels) this weekend! The best locations will be southern, central and western Iowa and south/east facing slopes. I'll be updating more info on my blog so take a look http://www.myabc5.com/Global/link.asp?L=458909 There is a whole lot of experienced hunters on this forum... What are your thoughts?

Please Visit My Blog; How Weather Affects Hunting & Fishing http://www.myabc5.com/link/458909/chris-outdoors-blog

Profile Email PM
cyclones30
 April 25 2011 12:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

It's just getting started in the southern part of the state. I've been looking at some good early spots from past years here N of DM and haven't seen a thing yet though so it's still a bit early by what ive seen. The forecast does look good though and hopefully they'll be popping soon.

Go Big or Go Home

Profile Email PM
revup
 April 25 2011 01:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

You just gotta know where to look Wink
Little bro found these on Friday, the 22nd.
He and some buddies ran into about 80+

getwildoutdoors.com

Profile Email Website PM
Weather Hunter
 April 25 2011 02:15PM  
Regular Contributor

OH buddy, this is fantastic! I am getting really excited about this week. I might go do a bunch of looking after this rain and before the overnight low's get pretty chilly wed/thur.... thanks for the picture! Just for reference the 4" soil temps have climbed from the upper 40s to lower 50s in the spots that are producing... north of Des Moines is still in the mid 40s. But that doesn't mean you wont find those small secret spots that often get overlooked. Sunshine in the morning that hits a south facing hill, or some terrain with limestone chunks often heat up faster than surroundings, making them a better choice. I'll find them along log jams on a river bank that faces south sometimes weeks before the grand finale! Here's a link to that soil temp map again: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/agweather/

Please Visit My Blog; How Weather Affects Hunting & Fishing http://www.myabc5.com/link/458909/chris-outdoors-blog

Profile Email PM
cyclones30
 April 25 2011 02:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yep, I've been paying more attention to that map for planting timing lately but it hasn't been cooperating for that lately either... Neutral

Chris you didn't happen to be a t.a. in the entry level meteorology class at ISU before did you?

Go Big or Go Home

Profile Email PM
Weather Hunter
 April 25 2011 02:42PM  
Regular Contributor

Aw hell... what did I do Big Grin You got me Cyclones 30! One of the Meteorology profs put me up to it! That was 3 years ago!

Profile Email PM
cyclones30
 April 25 2011 03:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Haha nah you didn't do anything. I'd wondered from some of your other previous posts about weather but never thought much of it. You were probably one of the better T.A's I had while I was there and from your blog etc it sounded like you. Glad to hear you're still around and thanks for filling us in on the details every once in a while. Sounds like we won't be planting in the area for a while still if this rain in the forecast holds up...

Go Big or Go Home

Profile Email PM
crappiechaser
 April 25 2011 04:03PM  
Forum Senior Member

Nice blog
there was frost yesterday (Sunday) morning in Boone county
the vehicles and rooftops were coated solid white until the sun came up
I live in the upper elevation for this area so I wonder how cold it actually got down in the riverbottoms

Profile Email PM
Weather Hunter
 April 25 2011 05:12PM  
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm just a weather nerd who loves the outdoors... I'm so lucky to stick around home -I'm originally from winterset area- so it's really good to be here. Crappiechaser, we measure temperatures from a 2meter (6ft) height... sometimes the temp can be radically cooler if you even go just 2 feet down. River bottoms could have been in the upper 20s!Not good for morels!!! Friday night aught to be a great one for them to pop, even up in the Boone area Smile I might go check out the middle section of south facing hill sides for mushrooms even up there though... Not quite the top, and not all the way at the river-bottom. Sometimes the topography will make a very subtle wind that might stir up the air enough to prevent frost and possibly create an isolated area fit for Morels. I'd start looking this week, but don't waste too much time if your honey holes dont produce. Better conditions are just around the corner! Good luck! Here's another link to a graph of the Growing degree days and precipitation in the Boone area http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/coop/acc.phtml?station=IA0807&syear=2011&smonth=4&sday=1&eyear=2011&emonth=4&eday=24 Basically ever since the rain started, Growing degree days have steadily declined and for the last week we've been falling below average for the month.... The bottom should be this Wednesday, then mostly up from there Wink

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 2.17 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 01:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 2.79 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com