Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/31/2014 @ 03:34 PM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > General Banter New Topic Post Reply
 Iowa handicap/disabled hunting,fishing association?

|  Printable Version
huntntrap
 November 09 2007 06:23PM (Read 1294 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Do you guys know if there is such a thing in Iowa?

I guess very honestly my wife and I have been somewhat lax here with our recent school as or principal has been awesome with my daughter. She will be entering 7th grade this next year and we are already off to a not so good start with the new school. I have been told I can be a hot headed Irishman (not me), but I am her advocate (politically correct word for I am willing to stand up for her when she can't herself).

I got to thinking, is there a handicap/disabled hunting & fishing association in Iowa that helps promote hunting, fishing (accessible blinds, accessible fishing docks, etc.) in Iowa that anyone knows about?

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 November 09 2007 08:18PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Tim I believe there is a group Shaley works with I believe.

"Suppose you were an Idiot and suppose you Were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself". Mark Twain

Profile Email PM
ducky
 November 09 2007 08:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

you might email BigJake on this site, he may know of some.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Be Ice Fishing There Too

Profile Email PM
d00buck
 November 09 2007 08:31PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Ken, I think that one is called Hunters Helping Hunters. Not sure how much they deal with public access? Would be worth checking into tho!

Colo-central IA

Profile Email PM
huntntrap
 November 09 2007 08:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

Dale,

I checked Huntershelpinghunters.org website, seemed all events for 2007 were happening in Indiana(?)

Shaley and Bob, can you shoot me an email if you know of somthing, if not, can an Iowa DNR official shoot me an email and perhaps we can get (I will need help) something going?

I think at least accessible fishing docks would be really nice!

Profile Email PM
OU812
 November 09 2007 09:06PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

You might try to contact Al Smith, from the Iowa National Wild turkey Federation, he is the coordinator for the Wheelin" Sportsman programming in Iowa. They hold some outdoors events for the physically impaired outdoors person. He may have some other info on other national orgs also.

Profile Email PM
Chuck S
 November 09 2007 09:29PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Iowa does provide for handicapped hunters and fisherman. Contact DNR. I have bad knees and I am applying for a special hunting & fishing permit.

Chuck S

If your being passed on the right side, your in the wrong lane! .

Profile Email PM
bigjake
 November 09 2007 10:49PM  
Forum Senior Member

I know there are some groups, but I don't hear much abut them. I haven't looked for them either, but the IDNR does provide some benefits. I have a lifetime fishing license and a permit to drive my vehicle on game management areas. There is also a hunting license available for disabled hunters. I have never requested the hunting license as I like to pay my on frieght on some of these things, but there are options and they are great for those who want to use them. I think they might be perfect for your daughter.

The disabled deer hunting season runs concurent with the youth deer hunting season. I will probably take advantage of that one of these years as I don't like the cold weather so much anymore, but then again my buddies hunt later and I like being with them.

Some things I have done to be able to hunt and fish are, buy a pontoon boat, use ramps with docks, and a ground blind for deer and turkey hunting. I am able to shoot trap easily enough so I can get some practice time.

I have truly been blesed with friends who like to fish and hunt and go with me when I do. Many of them are farmers who have land of their own and their neighbors. A network of friends has been the most important part and I have been very lucky. People are patient and willing to help me get set up. A couple years agio when we had the big snow storm on opening day of fiirst shotgun season my friends got me out into the timber, get my blind set up, and pulled my van out with their trucks when the day was done. It is because of these wonderful people and people just like them who I have met here on this site that I have never found it necesary to get help from an organized group, soi I am sorry, but I really don't know who they are. I have found members of the IDNR are very helpful and they want to be helpful in these situations. They have been very nice to me.

I would suggest talking to the IDNR, Vocational Rehabilitation of Iowa, and searching the web for names of Iowa organizations who do this type of thing. Our local Whitetails Unlimited leader has taken it upon himself to do a project where he takes disabled people hunting and fishing. That's how I got my first turkey. Roger Taylor is his name and he lives here in Fort Dodge.

When you are in my situation you want to be as independent as possible and you avoid that kind of help when you can. There are situations however, when you simply have to rely on someone and ask for help. I've never been afraid to do that and have made a lot of friends because of it. Right now your daughter is lucky because she has you, but depending upon her needs getting hooked up with one of these groups could be very helpful for her. I wish you all the luck in the world. If I discover something I will let you know immediately. Your daughters life will be enhanced immeasurably by your push to get outdoors. You deserve a lot of credit for doing that.

Remember, when I finally get over this dang seige of beig laid up for almost a year, you and your daughter are welcome on my boat any day and time.

All the best.

Bob

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
bubbaboy
 November 10 2007 09:03AM  
Forum Senior Member

i help out with a group called syc(special youth challenge ministries)we do a youth deer and turkey hunt every year,up in nw iowa every year.let me know i'll give you a number to some guys that can help

got the best job,i get paid to talk about hunting and fishing all day

Profile Email PM
Habitual_eyer
 November 10 2007 09:20AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I know some lakes have handicap fishing docks, such as at brushy creek. I would call IDNR and see if they have a list of them.

barb

Always forward, Never straight!!!!

Profile Email PM
bowtechbandit
 November 10 2007 09:20AM  
Forum Senior Member

i think wheeling sportsmen is another organization, not sure how much, if any events they have planned in iowa

Profile Email PM
bowmaker
 November 10 2007 09:56AM  
Forum Senior Member

Al Smith does headup the Wheelin Sportsman group in Iowa. Al is located in Ottumwa and is part of the Ottumwa area NWTF group and is always ready to give help, advice, or support to hadicapped sportsmen and women, so get in touch with him.

Profile Email PM
huntntrap
 November 11 2007 07:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thanks guys for your insights and some contact names.

I managed to hunt all day Saturday, so at least wore a few frustrations out from last weeks not so pleasant events (me feel better).

Heading off to do some online research now Smile

Profile Email PM
iowabuckhunter
 November 11 2007 08:50AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Al Smith is working for Outdoors Without Limits now. We are just starting a chapter in Van Buren County. Seems like a good program. We had a deer hunt during the handicapp season and 5 hunter harvest 2 bucks and 2 doe. There will be a turkey hunt in April but if anyone needs a guide for a hunt i think we have many volunteers more than willing to help out.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 2.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 2.56 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com