Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
08/01/2014 @ 02:42 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
  Albino deer

|  Printable Version
bowsandreels
 July 15 2004 03:35PM (Read 7585 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I had always heard it was illegal to shot an albino deer, so I tried to find info on the DNR website with no luck, so I called a conservation officer today & he stated that it was true & shooting an albino deer was illegal. When I asked why that was he said it was because there wasen't that many & people would rather see them in the timber rather than shot.

I can see what he is saying to a point, yes they are rare & unique, but they are also a genetic woops and not as likely to survive. I guess I think it's a little silly to make it illegal. anybody have any thoughts?

Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard

Profile Email PM
Anonymous: jkratz
 July 15 2004 04:23PM  

All I know is that if they were legal to shoot there would be a rather large one hanging in my office right now. About 15 years ago when my father and I were in Wisconsin on a whitetail hunt we had a nice 12 pointer walk through, too bad it was an albino. I wish I would have had the camera with me.

As far as the genetic woops goes, I have heard that it is not that big of a deal, that usually they don't pass the genes on (otherwise there would be a lot more) and that is general these deer are just as healthy as the rest

Kratz

maxx
 July 15 2004 04:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

I don't think you can shoot an albino anything.

Saw a few squirrels in my day. Thought bout blasting but let them go.

If there is even the smallest of brown on it then it wouldn't be albino it would be a _____. Then you can shoot it. That is a test by the way to see if someone knows what a animial that is half and half is called.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Rooster
 July 15 2004 04:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yes I think it is silly. I always thought albino pheasants were ok. I have heard of a few people taking them and never heard anything about penalties.

Rooster

Profile Email PM
bowsandreels
 July 15 2004 04:35PM  
Forum Senior Member

What I ment when I said less likely to survive was that they have no natural "camo" & are less protected from predators as young, so therefore less likely to survive to adulthood.

I agree with you that they don't pass it on very often, I think I read somewhere that even if both "parents" have the resessive gene there is still only a 25% chance the offspring will be albino.

Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard

Profile Email PM
 July 15 2004 04:35PM  

Piebald, at least for deer i believe is correct

MyDogCarl
 July 15 2004 04:37PM  
Forum Senior Member

While it's not a true albino, still pretty cool. This deer was legally shot in South Carolina.

“Never underestimate the probabilities of a zombie attack… be prepared!”

Profile Email PM
 July 15 2004 04:40PM  

Who the hell shot my dog, oh I mean who shot the 30lb whitetail

Rooster
 July 15 2004 04:44PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yep Piebald is correct.

Profile Email PM
d00buck
 July 15 2004 04:46PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I like a little hair on my...oops, better not go there!

Colo-central IA

Profile Email PM
maxx
 July 15 2004 04:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Very good grasshopper.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Great White
 July 15 2004 05:09PM  
Forum Senior Member

I agree that making harvesting albino animals illegal is a bit far. I'd love to have an albino critter on the wall!

--albino hunter Whitey

"Man I hope this gets Danny off my back" --Jason Douglas White

Profile Email PM
bird
 July 15 2004 05:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

I was always under the impression that an Albino "anything" is usually sterile and cannot reproduce... Anyone know anything about this ?

bird

The dog will always prove you wrong !

Profile Email Website PM
bowsandreels
 July 15 2004 05:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

As far as I know albinoism should have nothing to do with fertility. All albinoism is is a lack of mellinomin (sp?)

Profile Email PM
Rooster
 July 15 2004 05:35PM  
Forum Senior Member

From what I have read they can reproduce. Check here.

http://www.kerrlake.com/deer/albino.html

I particularly like the bottom line in bold.

Rooster

Profile Email PM
bird
 July 15 2004 05:44PM  
Forum Senior Member

Thaks for the answer..... I appreciate it.

bird

The dog will always prove you wrong !

Profile Email Website PM
Ezzy333
 July 15 2004 06:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

An albino is a deer that got an albino gene from both parents. It is recessive so if they carry a color gene they will be colored. Except fot the problems of being colorless, which they are rather than white, they are just like any other deer. They breed, and since they have no other color gene they always pass the albino gene to their offspring. If those offsprings are colored they still carry the albino gene and if they happen to breed with another deer carrying the albino gene the 25% chance of an albino fawn being born is correct. If an albino deer breeds with a colored deer carrying the gene they have a 50% chance of producing an albino. Since there are very few deer that are carrying the gene it is very unusall to have one born and probably much more unlikely it will survive to adulthood.

So after all of that my opinion is protect them which they are in most states and have been for quite a few years. It just fun to see one once in a while.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you take in your life time but how many times something has taken your breath away! Have you noticed common sense isn't so common anymore.

Profile Email PM
zondy
 July 15 2004 08:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

My relative in Manitoba sent this picture taken near their home of an albino buck. I have serveral others of the same buck.

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=13442516/PictureID=285126929/t_=11685414

Profile Email PM
Rooster
 July 15 2004 08:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

May just be me but th address did'nt work.

If albinos are illegal to shoot, then are melanistic deer also illegal. I believe they are even more rare than albino. I think there was a picture of one on the site a few months ago but I can't seem to find it.

Rooster

Profile Email PM
Anonymous: whiterook
 July 15 2004 09:30PM  

Skin color is caused by the pigment called..... "melanin."

pigment...A color in plants/animals.

Content generated in: 2.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 2.94 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com