Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 06:06 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Boating New Topic Post Reply
 Boat Floor

|  Printable Version
northwoodsbucks
 April 22 2017 09:26AM (Read 1582 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Since I got my new boat I let my old 14' alumacraft go into heck. I am thinking that I want to redo her to have as a river boat since I wont be taking my larger boat on small rivers.

What is the best material to use, standard marine plywood and carpet, aluminum, that vinal decking material?

Profile Email PM
Wildcats789
 April 22 2017 09:55AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I went with aluminum when I extended my bow deck on my 16' tracker. Marion iron cut it to shape and broke a 1" lip on it for $118 material and labor. This was 2 years ago.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=45&showtopic=966850&highlight=Extending%20bow%20deck

Profile Email PM
WhiteMoose
 April 24 2017 10:45AM  
Forum Senior Member

When I bought my jon boat, it had marine plywood with astroturf glued on that was only a few years old, and the the marine plywood was totally rotten. I re-did it with standard plywood (not marine) with 3 coats of Thompson water sealer, and marine carpet just stapled on the back side of the plywood (not glued). Don't glue down the carpet and the wood will dry out faster when it gets wet. Been 10 years and my floor is still solid. Yes, the carpet gets muddy, but it power washes off easy enough and is way more comfortable to stand on than metal IMO.

Profile Email PM
BuckFever86
 May 17 2017 04:49PM  

Quote by: WhiteMoose

When I bought my jon boat, it had marine plywood with astroturf glued on that was only a few years old, and the the marine plywood was totally rotten. I re-did it with standard plywood (not marine) with 3 coats of Thompson water sealer, and marine carpet just stapled on the back side of the plywood (not glued). Don't glue down the carpet and the wood will dry out faster when it gets wet. Been 10 years and my floor is still solid. Yes, the carpet gets muddy, but it power washes off easy enough and is way more comfortable to stand on than metal IMO.

2nd on the plywood with Thomson Water Seal.

Profile Email PM
hemann
 May 17 2017 08:18PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I would try to keep boat lite for the river and use the vinyl or Thompson's if you are going to fish for cats. They get the carpet pretty slimy.

Profile Email PM
Tin Roof
 May 18 2017 06:18AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'd look into HDPE sheeting. Sometimes called Marineboard or Seaboard. I just learned about this item while doing a search for something similar for a project at work in a corrosive environment. I ended up going with aluminum because I could source it locally and couldn't wait a week to get the HDPE. The aluminum was over double the cost of the HDPE. Most of the sites I looked at and/or called would custom cut to size. One of the vendors I called has a branch in Des Moines, Interstate Plastics.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24607

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Hdpe-Marine-Board-White-Sheet-HDPWEM~SH.php

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 06:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.51 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com