Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
08/23/2017 @ 06:19 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Hunters able to finally carry

|  Printable Version
beniah1066
 May 08 2017 10:19AM (Read 3472 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It looks like we will finally be able to carry a handgun while hunting outside of when you can hunt with one.

This was an update in the upcoming NRC meeting. This is the old/new excerpt which is changing.

(OLD) It shall be unlawful for a person hunting with a bow license to carry a handgun unless that person also has a valid
deer hunting license and an unfilled transportation tag that permits a handgun to be used to take deer.

(NEW) A person in possession of a valid permit to carry weapons may carry a handgun while hunting.
However, only the handguns listed in 106.7(3) shall be used to hunt deer and only when a handgun is a
lawful method of take.

I am a fan of this, as when I am sitting with a muzzleloader, I sometimes wish I could be carrying in case something gets messy out there. Bigfoot, etc.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 May 08 2017 02:50PM  
Forum Senior Member

I'd be in favor of that. I'd be likely to take a poke at more coyotes if I had a handgun with me.

Profile Email PM
ActionJackson
 May 08 2017 03:42PM  

Quote by: IaCraig

I'd be in favor of that. I'd be likely to take a poke at more coyotes if I had a handgun with me.

X2. Would love to take a crack at a yote with my .40 cal

Profile Email PM
maxx
 May 08 2017 03:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

I am cool with this but it is more for the 2 legged creatures than the 4.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Strings
 May 08 2017 07:12PM  
Regular Contributor

I glad to see this as I always worried about coming across a critter with rabies or something.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 May 09 2017 09:38AM  
Forum Senior Member

I am going to guess the same lead projectile restrictions will still remain in non-tox areas.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 May 09 2017 10:52AM  
Forum Senior Member

Great news! But honestly, I probably won't carry on the ground I bow hunt. If I were on public or in an area with a high level of Methheads I would consider it.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
mr.icefishing
 May 09 2017 12:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

Thank goodness. Now I'll finally feel safe when I'm out hunting. Lol!

Profile Email PM
iowavf
 May 09 2017 03:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: mr.icefishing

Thank goodness. Now I'll finally feel safe when I'm out hunting. Lol!

Ironic, that's what the Indians use to say too! Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 May 09 2017 08:03PM  
Forum Senior Member

This was actually discussed about a month and half ago so it has been in the works for several weeks now. Definitely a good change IMO.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=998051

So what does this mean for people who participate in urban deer hunting programs? Are there going to be any issues with carrying while hunting deer in town or at the various public parks where this is allowed? Actually I would say you are probably better off carrying while hunting in town as weird things are more likely to happen in these areas!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Strings
 May 09 2017 10:22PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: kenhump

I am going to guess the same lead projectile restrictions will still remain in non-tox areas.

Hmmmm... That's a good point.

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 May 10 2017 07:15AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Strings

Quote by: kenhump

Hmmmm... That's a good point.

The non-toxic shot applies to hunting and target shooting (if that is even allowed in any area which has the non-toxic shot requirement). I don't think it would apply in this case as the handgun would be expressly prohibited from hunting.

I wouldn't want to get into the messy situation where I am "hunting" something with the item which I am carrying for self defense. Would only use it in dire straits.

Profile Email PM
wolflb2
 May 10 2017 09:39PM  
Regular Contributor

I like it, once as I was walking out from bow hunting I bumped into two dogs, one a pitbull with no collar, they startled me from 30 yards and came snarling at me. These were not local dogs, no one within miles had either of the two. Fortunately they didn't finish the attack.

Profile Email PM
Flidas413
 August 10 2017 01:42PM  

I like this as well, Never know what is in the woods. Been far to many people/ hunters talking about possible mountain lions in the area.

Profile Email PM
WapelloMark
 August 10 2017 02:41PM  
Forum Moderator

Its the same as before, just worded different, Still can't carry in bow season, or, under just a bow tag. Nothing changes.

Owner and Operator of MockingBird FireArms Instruction NRA Certified in-home mobile and impromptu carry classes and re-certifications

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 August 10 2017 03:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Under the "Archery" section on p. 31 of the newly released 2017-18 hunting regulations it clearly says that "[h]unters may not carry a handgun while hunting under an archery tag, unless they have an unfilled transportation tag for a season that allows handguns or a valid permit to carry." Seems like a pretty clear change in the law to me. I am not a lawyer, but I interpret this as meaning if you have a permit to carry then you can now carry any type of handgun while bow hunting. This doesn't mean you can hunt deer with said handgun, only that you can carry it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 August 11 2017 08:59AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Under the "Archery" section on p. 31 of the newly released 2017-18 hunting regulations it clearly says that "[h]unters may not carry a handgun while hunting under an archery tag, unless they have an unfilled transportation tag for a season that allows handguns or a valid permit to carry." Seems like a pretty clear change in the law to me. I am not a lawyer, but I interpret this as meaning if you have a permit to carry then you can now carry any type of handgun while bow hunting. This doesn't mean you can hunt deer with said handgun, only that you can carry it.

I agree with tcyclone. Looks like a change to me. Maybe I'm wrong?

Any shoulder fired weapon is NOT archery.

Profile Email PM
WapelloMark
 August 11 2017 09:00AM  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Ok cool, I stand corrected, a lot of hunters will appreciate the change.

Owner and Operator of MockingBird FireArms Instruction NRA Certified in-home mobile and impromptu carry classes and re-certifications

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 06:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.40 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com