Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:08 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Panfishing New Topic Post Reply
 Sugema

|  Printable Version
Wapsi Willy
 May 11 2017 04:52PM (Read 2716 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Any Sugema reports?

Heading down there next week for a couple days!

Thanks!

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
jereseib
 May 11 2017 07:07PM  
Regular Contributor

Fishing there Monday all day, I will report back.

Profile Email PM
Wapsi Willy
 May 11 2017 08:20PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: jereseib

👍

Profile Email PM
hair&scales
 May 12 2017 12:39AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Been here all week fishing is good but size is bad. By that I mean you can catch all the 9 Inch crappies you want but any bigger is about 1 out of 50 fish. Gills are hit or miss on size. I myself would rather not clean 9 inch crappies so we haven't cleaned many fish. Bass are biting even though we haven't been targeting them we have gotten quite a few.

Work to hunt, hunt to live.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 12 2017 03:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: hair%26scales

Been here all week fishing is good but size is bad.

Still sounds way better than going to work. Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Wapsi Willy
 May 15 2017 09:29PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: jereseib

How was the crappie nite at Sugema? Or bluegill?
Heading down tomorows foe a couple days.
Thanks"!

Profile Email PM
Wolfdog
 May 16 2017 06:32PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

There all day Sunday,like as has been said great bite size is no good. Go over by the cleaning station and there are many,many crappie in the 9" range.Used to be a great lake to fish,now not so good.

As Long as it's in the outdoors

Profile Email Website PM
jereseib
 May 17 2017 01:40PM  
Regular Contributor

Ok, so I fished Monday and Tuesday night. My boat was not cooperating so I was relegated to the shore and that dock. Like others said, the crappie bite was great, just the size was pathetic, mostly 6-7 inchers. I don't know whats going on in that lake, 2 years ago you could catch an entire mess of eater size. I wonder if that idiot that introduced shad into there has completely destroyed the panfish growth now?

Profile Email PM
cowboy
 May 17 2017 01:53PM  
Regular Contributor

Could be, DNR found shad last year or the year before and have since stopped stocking walleyes and muskies. They plan on introducing Rotenone again to kill the shad as soon as they start having an adverse affect on the panfish. Hard to believe they could be affecting them already. I did catch a walleye there last Friday that barfed up a 5" shad in my livewell. Eek!

Shannon (Cowboy)

Profile Email PM
jereseib
 May 17 2017 05:05PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: cowboy

Could be, DNR found shad last year or the year before and have since stopped stocking walleyes and muskies. They plan on introducing Rotenone again to kill the shad as soon as they start having an adverse affect on the panfish. Hard to believe they could be affecting them already. I did catch a walleye there last Friday that barfed up a 5" shad in my livewell. Eek!

Well, that should produce some big bass and walleye, not so good for the panfish population in that lake.

Profile Email PM
Wolfdog
 May 17 2017 05:34PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I just think it is over fished. Same thing is going to happen at Lake Darling,was there when there was a group of 4 filleting 200 for one day fishing.

Profile Email Website PM
jereseib
 May 17 2017 06:16PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Wolfdog

I just think it is over fished. Same thing is going to happen at Lake Darling,was there when there was a group of 4 filleting 200 for one day fishing.

Could be, there is alot of boat traffic out there the last couple days. At least the bass fishing should be great with the slot limit, as long as idiots like a guy I met last summer dont keep illegal fish. I was staying in those cabins and the guy next to us comes over with a bucket of fish, 2 illegal bass that were within the slot limit. He told me he knows the rules but it was extremely slow all week and they are at least going to have one fish meal while they were there. Angry

Profile Email PM
skunkboy
 May 17 2017 07:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

I guess I'm confused, why would a shad population hurt the pan fish in a lake? they don't compete for food and shad don't eat the pan fish fry. Actually the opposite. At Pleasant Creek, when there is a good spawn of shad, you can count on bigger crappies and white bass the following year. As far as the DNR stopping the stocking of walleyes and Musky, that doesn't make sense to me either. If there was a good population of larger walleyes and musky, I would think they would help keep the shad population in check. I would think the more predator fish you have, the more the shad would be kept in check. Maybe they need a slot or at least a size limit on walleyes. How's the catfish population there? Catfish are shad eating machines.

I guess I just don't understand biology, just fishing.

L8R...Ken

HEY YOU DANG WOODCHUCKS, QUIT CHUCKIN MY WOOD!!! WE WE WEEE...PURE ADRENALINE...(snort) HE HE...WE WE WEEEE

Profile Email PM
lebruce
 May 18 2017 04:37AM  
Forum Senior Member

Bingo, same thing with other lakes and sand pits turned into public lakes. If you have people keeping limits after limits of big 10" + fish they run out quick. Then all you have is the nest to keep is 8-10" fish after a year or 2 of that whats that leave you. I know they say you can't fish them out and imo I say BS. It does't take a degree to notice/see the changes within a few years.

Catching is the result of finding, finding is the result of knowledge !!!

Profile Email Website PM
sadam
 May 18 2017 05:24AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Its already happening. Lake Darling has been getting piss pounded this year and the quality of fishing is down already compared to last year. Iowa apparently needs some more lakes.

Profile Email PM
cowboy
 May 18 2017 09:51AM  
Regular Contributor

I was afraid that would happen at Darling. I noticed last fall there was a lot of crappies in there, but no size. If people are filling buckets with 7-8" crappies they won't stand a chance to get any size.

Shannon (Cowboy)

Profile Email PM
Wolfdog
 May 18 2017 05:14PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Amazing what Greed{ that's putting it nicely} will do to people isn't it?

Profile Email Website PM
jereseib
 May 18 2017 06:50PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: cowboy

I was afraid that would happen at Darling. I noticed last fall there was a lot of crappies in there, but no size. If people are filling buckets with 7-8" crappies they won't stand a chance to get any size.

I dont understand people that want to keep every single fish even if they are small in the 7-8" inch range. It would take me at least 50 that size to feed my family even one meal. A 7 inch crappie has maybe 5 grams of protein once you get it fileted.

Profile Email PM
weave
 May 18 2017 06:54PM  

Years ago at Lake Geode the shad took over the lake. When they would spawn the shore line would be covered with millions of shad. They would ruin the bluegill and bass beds. The fishing for bluegill and bass just quit. I don't remember how the crappie fishing was effected but it wasn't worth a trip to fish the lake. They finally drained the lake to get rid of them. I don't know why a lake like Geode would get overcome by shad. I know the damage was that they ruined the beds of the preferred fish. You would have to see the millions of spawning shad to believe it.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.44 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:08 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.47 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com