Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:09 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling New Topic Post Reply
 Volunteering & Project Aware

|  Printable Version
Fishin General
 May 17 2017 09:27AM (Read 722 times)  

My company is offering two days of volunteering time off and I was hoping to find some trout stream conservation projects to help with but haven't had any luck do any of you know of anything?

Recently I heard about the Iowa DNR Project AWARE and was thinking about putting my time towards that. Have any of you participated? How was it?
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Things-to-Do/Canoeing-Kayaking/Project-AWARE

Profile Email PM
Bobio
 May 17 2017 10:09AM  

I've used company volunteer time to do the Des Moines river cleanup offered through River Stewards.
http://riverstewards.org/
I've done both cleanup from a boat and walking along the shore. It beats a day at the office, but be prepared to work. We've pulled some nasty stuff out of the water, so make sure you're not too concerned with getting your boat/kayak/canoe dirty. I'd recommend brining gloves and plenty to drink. It's still my favorite way to use volunteer time and you meet some great people while doing these events. It's a lot of fun if you can get some friends or coworkers to volunteer with you.

Profile Email PM
jalariso
 May 18 2017 11:42AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: Fishin+General

Recently I heard about the Iowa DNR Project AWARE and was thinking about putting my time towards that. Have any of you participated? How was it?
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Things-to-Do/Canoeing-Kayaking/Project-AWARE

Click on the dnr link and at that site, click on the Flickr: "Project AWARE 2016 Pictures" link and it should give you a very good idea what it is about. My wife and I and family have participated for many years and we won't miss it.
Be prepared to get as dirty as you like on the trip. Wink You may call me for questions if you like. My home phone number is in the Cedar Rapids directory.

Profile Email PM
gellar
 May 19 2017 07:50AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Northeast Iowa RC&D and Trout Unlimited usually sponsor events to help with Japanese Knotweed on Paint Creek.

Profile Email PM
Fishin General
 May 19 2017 10:31AM  

It always amazes me what ends up in our rivers. Last weekend I was kayak on the Cedar River and saw a metal bed frame/springs in the river. Sadly the tires, wheels and random metal are no surprise with how common they are.

I will be sending in my registration for Project Aware this weekend and will be participating Wednesday and Thursday. Should be interesting to see how different the river is than here in Cedar Rapids.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 May 19 2017 11:46AM  
Forum Senior Member

This sounds like a really cool project. Hope to be able to participate sometime if it is ever in my neck of the woods.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Fishin General
 May 19 2017 12:33PM  

Another really cool thing about it is they offer a shuttle to and from Des Moines and Iowa City. They also have a ride forum to find rides to help with carpooling/shuttling.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.31 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com