Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
05/28/2017 @ 10:54 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Fishing Colorado

|  Printable Version
speng5
 May 17 2017 01:49PM (Read 1352 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Anyone ever fished CO? I may be finding myself later this summer in the central/Nort Central CO region, from Leadville north to Fort Collins. Wondering what the fishing is like as you really don't hear much about it. Getting into some trout would be fantastic and my top goal should it be feasible. But would like to hear more about fishing in general there as well, hence me posting this here. Any and all info is appreciated.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Torby1958
 May 17 2017 02:33PM  

North Park area near Walden would be a good choice especially The Delaney Butte Lakes.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 May 17 2017 02:35PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have carp fished with some friends of my brothers while I visited. Top notch Carp fisheries Mr. Green

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 May 17 2017 03:43PM  
Forum Senior Member

Leave it to Asgrow to pollute a perfectly good trout fishing thread!! Mr. Green Mr. Green

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 May 17 2017 04:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

Hey now, this is in the "general fishing" forum! Carp fishing is perfectly acceptable here! Mr. Green

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
speng5
 May 17 2017 04:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

Edit:

About the only fish I wouldn't make a special trip to fish for would probably be carp Mr. Green

exceptions made for bowfishing I suppose.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 May 17 2017 04:33PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Hope you have a good trip.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 May 17 2017 05:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

Edit:

About the only fish I wouldn't make a special trip to fish for would probably be carp Mr. Green

Elitists

Profile Email PM
speng5
 May 17 2017 06:04PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Edit:

Elitists

I like to think of my Oakleys, Simms fishing polo, Orvis waders, and Fenwick rod as just "looking the part"

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 May 17 2017 06:36PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Edit:

Elitists

Yes, yes we are Mr. Green

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 17 2017 06:57PM  
Forum Senior Member

Lots of trout in Colorado. Good news is that Trout fishing is a big deal out there and there is a lot of info around as far as methods and fishing areas are concerned. Other good news is, you can as ELITIST as you want and still fit in. Big Grin

I had a house in Old Colorado city (Colo Springs) for awhile and caught a pile of trout. Mostly Brookies, because they are fun and tasty. Big Grin And they happen to inhabit the most out of the way places where the "crowd" never finds you.... Mostly Beaver dams on backroads in N.F. areas.

Most "trout streams" out there are small rivers here, takes some getting used to, but plenty of space to work a fly rod Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
speng5
 May 17 2017 07:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Lots of trout in Colorado. Good news is that Trout fishing is a big deal out there and there is a lot of info around as far as methods and fishing areas are concerned. Other good news is, you can as ELITIST as you want and still fit in. Big Grin

I had a house in Old Colorado city (Colo Springs) for awhile and caught a pile of trout. Mostly Brookies, because they are fun and tasty. Big Grin And they happen to inhabit the most out of the way places where the "crowd" never finds you.... Mostly Beaver dams on backroads in N.F. areas.

Most "trout streams" out there are small rivers here, takes some getting used to, but plenty of space to work a fly rod Big Grin

That's awesome, brookies are my favorite fish. Hopefully I get a chance at some out of the way spots. Neither contact is much of a fisherman so I will probably have to do some research.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 17 2017 07:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

Do some Google work and look for small flows on public ground. Almost every little trickle with a good pool has a few Brookies hanging around. We used to cruise N.F. roads and turn off on a two track to find some virgin ground for camping and small stream trout fishing.

Been 25 years and I still miss that state. Rough country, but beautiful at the same time...

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Iowa Hunter
 May 17 2017 10:19PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Give me a PM, fellow Iowan that lives in Fort Collins and works in the mountains each day for the past 5 years. Kinda sick of the mulies, elk ,and trout, miss my walleyes, crappies and whitetails! Big Grin Have a month off this summer and would be more than happy to have a fishing buddy!

Profile Email Website PM
IATOGA
 May 18 2017 08:08AM  

Hey Speng - I have always had good look on the Poudre. It is north of Fort Collins. Very busy on the weekends, but not bad during the week. Lots of placed to camp along it. There is also a couple of lakes a little farther north of there, but i cant remember the name. I will find it and let you know.

Profile Email PM
IATOGA
 May 18 2017 08:46AM  

Speng - Finally remembered the name of the lakes. Hohnholz Lakes. There are three lakes together. Rainbow, Brown and an occasional cutthroat. Best fished with a tube, but you can also fish from shore. It has been 15 years since i have been there, but always had good luck. During the week not much pressure at all. Small county campground nearby.

Profile Email PM
MizInIA
 May 18 2017 09:16AM  

I have taken a fly rod and fished Clear Creek at Georgetown. lots of trout.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 May 18 2017 10:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it, lots to think about. Also Iowa Hunter thanks for the shout, you have a PM

Profile Email PM
Mengo
 May 18 2017 02:55PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I'd second Poudre Canyon, outside Ft Collins. A lot of river there and many places to pitch a tent.....the sky is unbelievable at night if it is clear. I'd also suggest the streams in Rocky Mountain National Park also. Quite the scenery there also. If you've never been to Rocky Mtn Natl Park and are even close to the area, I'd really recommend going there for a day at least.

You can fly fish or spin fish in both.......really all over Colorado. My cousin has lived in Ft Collins for 30+ years and still spin fishes and does quite well.

Have fun and let us know how the trip goes.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 May 19 2017 09:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Go north of FT Collins about 1 hour and fish the lakes west of Laramie on the plains. But you will be in WY. Wink

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.87 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 10:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.91 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com