Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
05/28/2017 @ 10:54 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Crossbows

|  Printable Version
Loomis13
 May 18 2017 10:27PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: maxx

Quote by: Loomis13

Do you guys actually see less movement than regular bows? The only way I could see it, is if you hold the bow at all times, which I doubt many do. Or the fact that you can get the bow before the deer gets as close as it does with a regular bow? Just kinda playing the devils advocate, I wouldnt give up my bow and do not think they should be legal during bow season.

So you see a deer a few hundred yards away and you know you want to shoot it. Do you grab your bow ASAP or wait until you are ready to shoot. You grab it right away. When deer gets in range you have to put your bow up and draw.

With a crossbow you simply lift and squeeze so yes less movement.

For the record I cannot remember the last time I had trouble drawing on a deer. I think a lot of it is based on how our stands are set up.

Yeah, thats what I figured the response would be. Just checking. My dad has a crossbow due to a bicep injury, and while I do think its easier with a crossbow, I don't think its that much easier. I wouldn't want to seem them legal for normal archery season, but am o.k. with the other seasons.

Profile Email PM
iowavf
 May 19 2017 07:11AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: jafergesen

Quote by: iowavf

In my instance, I personally can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with a bow, but give me a crossbow and pretty sure 30, 40 yards would be very doable. To have a chance to hunt deer during the rut, heck yes I'd have a crossbow. Do I think it needs to be made legal during the regular bow season, no.

Pretty sure or sure? Have you tried hunting with or shot a crossbow before?

Yes I have shot one and wasn't that hard holding it steady on a rest and putting his red dot on the target squeezing the trigger.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 May 19 2017 09:34AM  
Forum Senior Member

I wouldn't support crossguns being used during the archery season

Any shoulder fired weapon is NOT archery.

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 May 19 2017 09:39AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: papadude

Quote by: stevenoak

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Legalize them. I see it coming sooner than later. I think that the allowing of straight wall pistol cartridged rifles will open the door for all kinds of new weapons. I am all for it.

I will jump on the whipping post with you. I have a buddy that is full time in the archery industry. I asked him how many bow hunters would he guess recover 50% of the deer they hit. He guessed less than half, and regularly hears of hunters recovering way less. There are some very good archery hunters. Then there are ones that shoot junk or don't practice. Then there are the ones that have what he refers to as LOFT. Lack of f#@%ing talent. I am for any increase in the humane harvest % of an animal. The higher the percentage recovered, the less deer wasted. If hunters recover more of what they shoot, they don't have to stick as many. I also see more acceptance by older hunters with worn body parts, that don't care to be classified handicapped to keep hunting. You might be surprised what a partial tear in a rotator does to your ability to hold a bow steady.

I have to agree, I hear every year about how someone lost two or three deer during the season because of poor shot placement. I also know that a crossbow is very accurate and if going to a crossbow prevents the loss of deer than I say use them. Because of injuries and old age I am able to use a crossbow and know first hand about their use. You still have to get those deer in range and we all know those big boys don't just walk up and say "shoot me". You still have to use your skills as a hunter to be successful.I started bow hunting in 1968 with a Bear recurve then in 1986 I went to a compound. A couple of years ago I could no longer pull back my Mathews so I had a choice of giving up bow hunting or go to a crossbow.
Needless to say I was not about to give up deer hunting at the young age of 70. Yes it is a little different, but I keep my shots at the same range I used my compound at, 40 yards and under. The weight and awkwardness of the crossbow erases their advantages over the long bows. So overall I say if they help get a few more hunters enjoying the sport and prevent the loss of some deer, Lets use them during the regular bow season.

Also when you give into your family members to quit climbing trees. Hunting from the ground kind of offsets and advantage of a crossbow.

Profile Email PM
berettadouble
 May 19 2017 11:49AM  
Regular Contributor

This thread is fine evidence why I won a bow but refuse to call myself a bowhunter. Don't tell me how difficult it is to bowhunt when you have the full rut to work with, I could kill a rutting buck with a cinder block dropped from a tree.

I think the truth is crossbows would get more people hunting, and for all the lip service we give about getting more people into the sport- when it comes to doing it selfishness takes over...

Profile Email PM
Whip
 May 19 2017 04:01PM  
Forum Senior Member

I remember when the first compound bows came out and the debate if they should be allowed. (For the record I was a die hard recurve man) I argued it would bring lots of new hunters in and more pressure on big bucks during the rut. However I have since changed my mind and realize that the future of hunting depends on new hunters and barriers to participation need to be examined. So this debate will continue and eventually it will be decided. I personally hope that my grand kids will be able to enjoy hunting 40 years from now whether they use a longbow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow or AR I really don't care just so they have the opportunity and do so in a fair chase manner.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 19 2017 05:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: JA

A Sea Horse is not a horse and a Cross bow is not a bow!

Real bows come without training wheels Big Grin Not to even mention sights, whisker biscuits, over draws, and releases.????

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
HugeRod
 May 19 2017 06:34PM  
Regular Contributor

My dad hunts with a crossbow, and has killed a few bucks with it, nothing huge just descent. I have shot it at a target, and also watched it being shot. Can't remember how many fps it travels, but it is much faster than any of our compounds. Arrow travel cannot be seen, unless you fire it over 40 yards. I have no problem with him hunting during regular season, we generally don't pick up our bows until after rut, because of combining and working cows and calves.
I say each to their own, let hunters hunt, in their own seasons.
Good luck to all, Rod

Profile Email PM
sep0667
 May 19 2017 06:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

No support for it from me. Xbows have their time and place, when you are physically not capable to draw a bow.

Passing up a small buck today grows a bigger buck tomorrow...

Profile Email PM
bigA
 May 19 2017 07:58PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: berettadouble

This thread is fine evidence why I won a bow but refuse to call myself a bowhunter. Don't tell me how difficult it is to bowhunt when you have the full rut to work with, I could kill a rutting buck with a cinder block dropped from a tree.

I think the truth is crossbows would get more people hunting, and for all the lip service we give about getting more people into the sport- when it comes to doing it selfishness takes over...

I don't know if you were trying to be fecious or not, but your assertion that you could kill a buck during rut with a cinder block is ridiculous. I have shot some studs during the rut, but it is far from a slam dunk. You still need to be in the right place at the right time, hunting all day is no easy task. You need to put in the time and research to find the best spot to set up. You DON'T just sit out there and rattle a few times and magically get a big deer to come in. I could name a dozen variables that prevent a buck from coming in, but you probably wouldn't understand.

Profile Email PM
bigA
 May 19 2017 08:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: berettadouble

I don't know if you were trying to be fecious or not, but your assertion that you could kill a buck during rut with a cinder block is ridiculous. I have shot some studs during the rut, but it is far from a slam dunk. You still need to be in the right place at the right time, hunting all day is no easy task. You need to put in the time and research to find the best spot to set up. You DON'T just sit out there and rattle a few times and magically get a big deer to come in. I could name a dozen variables that prevent a buck from coming in, but you probably wouldn't understand.

Profile Email PM
BrownItsDown
 May 20 2017 02:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

I have no interest in trying to legalize crossbows for normal archery season in fact I am completely against it.

What I don't get is how you cant use them during Youth season, shotgun 1, 2. What are the steps to go about changing this?

I agree that crossbows should be allowed during all youth and muzzle loader deer seasons, but not during shotgun or rifle (gun) seasons. If they were to be allowed during gun seasons, I'd say that crossbow hunters should have to wear blaze orange, same as gun hunters, and should not be allowed to hunt from elevated positions off of the ground.

I consider crossbow hunting archery, and do believe crossbows should be allowed during archery seasons, without a disability permit requirement. There is still plenty that can go wrong, just like bow hunting, and a bow actually provides a much better opportunity at a followup shot vs a crossbow.

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 May 20 2017 03:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have used bow and crossbow during WI archery season. While the shot it's self is easier at some ranges its not significantly so. I dont see large differences between one and my compound and if anything shoot the compound better. And I am not a guy who shoots the compound all the time all year. I mostly retired the xbow due to it being so much heavier and more ackward in the woods. I 100% think they should be legal though.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 May 20 2017 04:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

Real bows come without training wheels Big Grin Not to even mention sights, whisker biscuits, over draws, and releases.????

I agree. I started with a long bow in 1950s, then graduated to semi-recurve early 60s. Uncle Sam interrupted my bow career for a couple decades. When I got into compounds, it just wasn't the same. My question. How many compound hunters could shoot accurately without all the bells and whistles?

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 20 2017 04:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: kenhump

Quote by: Brad+Phillips

I agree. I started with a long bow in 1950s, then graduated to semi-recurve early 60s. Uncle Sam interrupted my bow career for a couple decades. When I got into compounds, it just wasn't the same. My question. How many compound hunters could shoot accurately without all the bells and whistles?

Oh, I have a compound set up for Carp. I would rather shoot my Louie Armbruster, just seems like we get along better Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 10:54 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.31 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com