Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
07/21/2017 @ 03:33 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Crossbows

|  Printable Version
stevenoak
 July 03 2017 06:38PM  
Forum Senior Member

A bill to allow x bow for bow season is on the Governors desk in Illinois. He is expected to sign it.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 July 03 2017 09:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stevenoak

A bill to allow x bow for bow season is on the Governors desk in Illinois. He is expected to sign it.

Yes She is. Wink

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
3.5 tens
 July 04 2017 07:08AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Whip

I remember when the first compound bows came out and the debate if they should be allowed. (For the record I was a die hard recurve man) I argued it would bring lots of new hunters in and more pressure on big bucks during the rut. However I have since changed my mind and realize that the future of hunting depends on new hunters and barriers to participation need to be examined. So this debate will continue and eventually it will be decided. I personally hope that my grand kids will be able to enjoy hunting 40 years from now whether they use a longbow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow or AR I really don't care just so they have the opportunity and do so in a fair chase manner.

yes-----------you make a great point

no man is closer to the beginning of all things than when he is familiar with a marsh.

Profile Email Website PM
northwoodsbucks
 July 04 2017 07:28AM  
Forum Senior Member

I really hate the xbow debate. To be honest my bow of choice this year will be a long bow that I made myself from a hickory tree that I cut in the land behind my old house, although I am working on a maple bow I cut at my cabin that might win out, depends on how good I do on this build. I also likely will do some hunting with my PSE long bow, my PSE recurve, my old hoyt alphamax and my hoyt carbon matrix. My xbow likely wont see the woods but it is entirely possible that it will take a deer from the deck (at my cabin in WI, so dont jump all over me).

All of the bows mentioned have positives and draw backs. Weight, speed, length, all are trade offs between them. Who really cares what someone else shoots.

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 July 04 2017 08:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

Dictionary defines a "gun" as a tube or barrel. Closed on one end, that sends a projectile with explosive material. A" bow" as a strip of wood or other flexible material with a string attached to each end to shoot a projectile. I tend to agree with Mr. Webster. Some day they will improve the x bow, then x bow hunters will complain about them. Wink

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 04 2017 09:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Who really cares what someone else shoots.

Because deer hunting mentality has gotten so stupid, most not in favor of crossbows are that way because they think someone having an easier time shooting deer directly amounts to their someone literally shooting one out from under them. If you own your own private ground there is no reason to worry, only you and those you permit are hunting there. If someone 10 miles over on their own farm shot a nice one with a crossbow, chances are you wouldn't have shot it anyway. For those worrying about what your neighbors will do, tough nuggies, you cant control your neighbors. Hunt harder/scout harder/food plot harder if you're that worried about your neighbors. If you are real worried about what this will do to public land deer hunting because that's where you hunt, then go buy your own ground and quit whining.* I'd have a hard time buying an argument from anyone that crossbow legalization would negatively impact their individual hunting experience, specifically.

*An abrasive statement, no doubt, but I am only echoing sentiment I have seen pop up on here for years.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.15 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:33 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.19 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com