Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/23/2017 @ 11:37 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Cleaning your keep

|  Printable Version
JoeJoe
 May 18 2017 03:58PM (Read 1631 times)  

Hi all -

I'm getting back into fishing, have lurked around this board for quite awhile but am not one to do much speaking up/speaking out. But after getting out a couple weekends ago here in central IA and finding a handful of nice sized keeper panfish, I was curious how everyone handles clearing their fish. That is, do you tend to clean them once you get off the water where you are fishing, or how do you go about transporting them home if you are not cleaning them at your fishing hole?
The lake we fished did not have a fish cleaning station on site, so we drained the livewell at the lake, left the fish in the livewell, and made the 30ish minute drive home. Which seemed ok with temps being reasonable outside, but depending on length of drive in the future, and as temperatures heat up outside, I'm not so sure that will be the best plan going forward. Should we be putting the fish on ice and then cleaning them later? Should we plan on just cleaning fish on site (regardless of fish cleaning station)?

Appreciate any info, tips, feedback and pointers that you can provide. Thanks in advance!

Profile Email PM
IA 9249 AY
 May 18 2017 04:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

If I need to travel a ways with unprocessed fish I will drain the live well (at the ramp) and add a bag of ice at the first gas station.

Profile Email PM
littlealfet
 May 18 2017 04:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

I only have an average of 15 minutes from lake to home. I carry a large cooler in my truck half full of tap water to transport my fish in. If for some reason I am going to be delayed I stop and put a bag of ice in the cooler with the fish. I have cleaned my fish by the boat ramp area, but it is messy and have to discard the cleanings somewhere.

Profile Email PM
m sauer
 May 18 2017 07:04PM  
Forum Senior Member

I do like IA does or if I plan on keeping fish before I leave I will take a cooler of ice and throw the fish in there straight from the lake instead of the live well.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 May 18 2017 07:37PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Live well should be empty when you leave ramp. I like to throw a half gallon or gallon full of frozen water in cooler if I will be transporting fish. It's enough fish cool until home.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
delmuts
 May 19 2017 06:03AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm another one that uses a cooler. Most times, ( unless it is really cool!) I carry a cooler with and ice jug ( half gal. milk jug frozen. cleans up easily afterwards )

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 May 19 2017 08:08AM  
Forum Senior Member

My live well is mostly used for storage. I keep a cooler with ice in the boat.
Down side: would be the room a cooler takes up

Up side: chilled fish are way easier to fillet, and I would guess better tasting if they are cooled down right away.

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Big Zamer
 May 19 2017 08:16AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

If I can, I will bleed the fish prior to leaving the lake. Use a pair of scissors or a knife to make a slice just below the gills and let the fish bleed out. As the others have said, drain the live well (state law) and either throw a bag of ice in for the drive home or transfer the fish to a cooler with ice.

Profile Email PM
JoeJoe
 May 19 2017 09:13AM  

I appreciate all the ideas and feedback! We've always pulled the livewell plug in the parking lot when we go to strap the boat down for transport, but I did happen to look into the Iowa Fishing Regs last night and noticed for the first time it states to Drain water before leaving a waterbody. We'll make sure to start pulling that as we are getting ready to put the boat on the trailer.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.57 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com