Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/17/2017 @ 09:55 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Love it....Hate it... New Topic Post Reply
 New to me truck

|  Printable Version
tkru
 June 14 2017 10:11PM (Read 3635 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking into getting a new to me truck and have been doing a lot of searching on the interweb and around Des Moines. I currently have a 2005 Dodge Dakota with 108k miles on it. Has some cancer on the fenders like most do. I am looking to get a full size to make it easier to pull a boat. I have found 3 that I am interested in. 2009 ram 1500 for 17900 with 84k miles on it said to be in hail storm but i cant see any dents. 2nd a 2009 f150 with 82k miles for 18900, and 3rd a 2007 f150 with 62k miles on it for 17000. All are crew cabs to fit a growing toddler and her enormous car seat.

What do you think the best deal is? I know it is hard without seeing them and getting all the facts, but I respect your opinions and most of you probably drive these trucks everyday. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

also posted in general banter before realizing it does not appear on homepage.

Tyler

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 June 14 2017 11:18PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I have a 2007 Ram 1500. 4x4. Crew can. Solid truck. Good mileage. FWIW. My stepdaughter has my 2000Dakota. 235k. Still runs great.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
tkru
 June 14 2017 11:26PM  
Regular Contributor

My Dakota has been a great truck! When pulling anything you definitely know it is back there. Also my wife doesn't like the rust.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 June 15 2017 05:55AM  
Forum Senior Member

None of them. Go find a Chevy Mr. Green

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
m sauer
 June 15 2017 07:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

Take a good, detailed look at the F150's cab corners and rockers. I had a 2009 that was really nice, that I took great care of and out of no where major rust ate the corners and rockers. From the research I did after the fact there is a history of issues with a design inside the corners where water can pool.

Profile Email PM
FuelTheFire_#6
 June 15 2017 08:01AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

The Ram. No doubt. The newer Rams are incredible trucks. The power and surprisingly good gas mileage of the Hemi is amazing. Plus the cabs are huge. One more thing is, they hold their value very well too.

Profile Email PM
firepoggy
 June 15 2017 08:11AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I've heard a lot of fords that develop some type of nasty engine tick around 100k. Not sure if its a known problem or the owners just beat the snot out of them.

I would recommend the Ram

Profile Email PM
copperyj
 June 15 2017 08:42AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

If your going Ford, get at least a 2011 or newer. The engines and trans are bullet proof, 100 more hp, and 5 mpg better fuel economy. I personally would stay away from the 5.4. The newer Rams are great also. There again, if you go newer you get a much better truck. Also with the new trucks have a much lower interest rate. If you are looking for a newer Ford or Ram PM me I may be able to help keep the price down and get you a newer truck.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 15 2017 09:10AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: copperyj

If your going Ford, get at least a 2011 or newer. The engines and trans are bullet proof, 100 more hp, and 5 mpg better fuel economy. I personally would stay away from the 5.4. The newer Rams are great also. There again, if you go newer you get a much better truck. Also with the new trucks have a much lower interest rate. If you are looking for a newer Ford or Ram PM me I may be able to help keep the price down and get you a newer truck.

x2. I have seen plenty of Ford trucks 04-09 that have more than their fair share of problems, at mileage just above what you are looking at. If you want one in that year range you better do a lot of research and really inspect it, or you are kind of rolling the dice. Your money, but I wouldn't do it.

Quote by: FuelTheFire_%236

The Ram. No doubt. The newer Rams are incredible trucks. The power and surprisingly good gas mileage of the Hemi is amazing. Plus the cabs are huge. One more thing is, they hold their value very well too.

x2. Last vehicle I bought has a Hemi. Better mileage, better power, and just like FueltheFire says you skyrocket your resale value. Any 4wd v8 truck is going to hold its value and have a higher bottom out point on value than any passenger sedan for example, but one with a Hemi is an even better investment.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 June 15 2017 10:00AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: medicdano

see, the thing is, he actually wants the truck to work Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email PM
jimney
 June 15 2017 10:19AM  
Forum Senior Member

I've had both types, but not that year. The Fords had issues with the engine lights always coming on, for every one I've owned. Sometimes it was nothing, sometimes it was a legit issue. Overall, they were very nice, and I had few problems with them. They can tend to have some timing issues when topping 100k in some years. The Dodge I drive now is a 2012, and, despite what has been said on here, the room is nowhere close to my Fords. The 4 door Ram has about the same room in the back seat as the 1/2 door Ford I used to own. My newer Ford had 4 doors, and it had tons of room. I totally agree with the Hemi love. I'm not all about having the most powerful truck or anything like that, but the Ram has far more power than the F150's I have owned. It also gets very good (relatively speaking) gas mileage.

Profile Email PM
sep0667
 June 15 2017 10:32AM  
Forum Senior Member

What are you guys with the Dodge ram 1500's that say they get amazing mpg getting? What year truck? I always figured the hemi got the worse mpg being one of the largest litered engines. Seems like 10 years ago or so they got terrible mpg.

Passing up a small buck today grows a bigger buck tomorrow...

Profile Email PM
jimney
 June 15 2017 10:35AM  
Forum Senior Member

I can only speak to mine. I have never been a "Dodge, Ford or Chevy" guy, but I do love my trucks. The older Dodges got crap mileage, no doubt, but my 2012 averages several higher than any Ford I have owned. I believe the newest Fords, with the new frames and lower cylinder options get "excellent" mpg, but I can't speak to it, since I've never owned one. I'm not a motor head, so this is all just from the experience of owning them.

Profile Email PM
sep0667
 June 15 2017 10:38AM  
Forum Senior Member

Can you put an actual # on it? 15mpg, 18 mpg etc.

Passing up a small buck today grows a bigger buck tomorrow...

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 15 2017 10:55AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Bob+Er

There was a time when I was a HUGE chevy truck fan. Late 90's through early-mid 2000s, when the 5.3L Vortec v8 was in most of their full sized trucks and SUVs (Silverados, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc). That engine was BULLETPROOF and lasted forever. About 6-7 years ago the guy I bought a Silverado from had 2 other ones he kept, one to pull cars on a trailer and the other as a plow truck. Both trucks I believe were 01s or 02's. Car hauler truck had 178k on it and the plow truck had real close to 200k, something like 194 or 196k.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 June 15 2017 12:06PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: Bob+Er

There was a time when I was a HUGE chevy truck fan. Late 90's through early-mid 2000s, when the 5.3L Vortec v8 was in most of their full sized trucks and SUVs (Silverados, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc). That engine was BULLETPROOF and lasted forever. About 6-7 years ago the guy I bought a Silverado from had 2 other ones he kept, one to pull cars on a trailer and the other as a plow truck. Both trucks I believe were 01s or 02's. Car hauler truck had 178k on it and the plow truck had real close to 200k, something like 194 or 196k.

I agree. I have 2006 with over 240k on it and it has required very little maintenance. That being said, it is the last model year of that style. I know a few people that had a 2008 Chevy and blew the motors at about 100k miles. Whatever you buy, never buy a truck in the 1st or 2nd year of a body style or drivetrain change. It always takes a few years to get the bugs out.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
mhock
 June 15 2017 12:22PM  
Forum Senior Member

I had an '03 Ram 1500 QCab. I believe it was the first year they put the hemi back in. Great pep and power but mileage averaged around 13 to 14. Traded for a diesel in '07 and have never gone back to gas.

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
tkru
 June 15 2017 12:34PM  
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the insight so far! Keep it coming. The Ram is a 4.7L not the 5.8L hemi. Does this change anything

Profile Email PM
FuelTheFire_#6
 June 15 2017 01:12PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Mine is a 2015 Ram Outdoorsman Crew Cab. Has the 5.7 Hemi and I get between 18-20 mpg all day everyday driving. I get about 13 mpg pulling a big camper and 15mpg pulling my boat 17'Pro V Lund. My previous F150 got 15 normal and 10 maybe pulling a boat. Not even a comparison in my book. Granted my Ford was an 03. I'll never switch away from Ram after owning this truck. I absolutely love it.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 June 15 2017 01:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

I had a buddy who just traded an 09 ram w/ the 4.7, it was a pile. Less than 90k miles, had 2 transmissions and traded it because it was in need of a third.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.33 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 09:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.37 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com