Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
06/27/2017 @ 07:12 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Salvaging A Failed Euro Mount Attempt

|  Printable Version
hunter94
 June 15 2017 07:23PM (Read 1106 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I attempted to do my own euro mount this year. After I power washed/ boiled it twice in baking soda, I appeared to have got everything cleaned off/out of it but it still has a funky odor. In frustration, I didnt use to the Creme developer 40 vol to bleach it and just put it on my work bench in the garage. Well I'm tired of moving it around now and want to try to salvage it to put in the house. How should I go about getting the stink out? If I use the hair salon stuff to "bleach" the skull will it seal in that smell or do I need to use something else first?

Thanks

This is what I bought to "bleach" the skull
http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SBS-760140,default,pd.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHO&cm_mmc=google-_-SHO-_-cpc-_-keyword&gclid=CM7DkriMwdQCFVU2gQodLMgFEQ

Profile Email PM
Some Guy
 June 15 2017 08:41PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I have "fixed" this for people before. I start a boil and turn the heat way down so the water stays hot, but not boiling. Let the bone soak for an hour. If the water is too hot, the nasal plates and nose guard can separate. The trick is to get the little tiny pieces of flesh out of the sinuses and brain cavity. I use a 3500 psi power washer. You would be surprised how much is left after you thought you got it all.
For whitening, I use Basic White powder lightener and 40 volume creme. Don't get any on the antlers, as it will turn them white, too. I cover mine with a Wal-Mart plastic bag to catch any that might fall on the floor overnight.

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 June 15 2017 10:43PM  
Forum Senior Member

I used borax to whiten and clean. Don't boil just get it hot get the brain cleaned out use a piece of wire to scrape it out.

Profile Email PM
King Eider
 June 16 2017 05:59AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Add Dawn dish soap to water you boil in.

I shot the banded one!

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 June 16 2017 06:23AM  
Forum Senior Member

Brake cleaner is what my taxi guy uses.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
spencer52356
 June 16 2017 09:07AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

drill a hole up inside the eye socket towards the nasal cavity on each side. That is where most fail to get clean and it will start to stain the bone as the oils seep through. Also make sure the brain cavity is clean. Then SIMMER in sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with Dawn until that stuff loosens up. Have a tote with Hot water and Dawn on stand by. As soon as you pull the skull from the simmer, stick it in the tote and grab your air gun from the compressor and start air boiling in every cavity including those 2 holes you drilled. Keep doing this even after you think you got it all. Then apply the Basic white and 40 volume creme and wrap with serain wrap I know that is spelt wrong...brain fart. and place it in front of a heater or use a heat gun. Heat is what makes that whitening powder/ creme work. Don't believe me? dab some on your finger then take another finger and rub it on your jeans until your finger is hot and dab some on that finger. Let me know how that goes. lol.

spenc

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 16 2017 10:22AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have done some smaller skulls to experiment but usually Dawn and Hydrogen peroxide do a pretty decent job. Put a mixture of the 2 in a bucket, drop your skull in it, throw out in the sun for a while. It will loosen everything right up and degrease at the same time. After a while take it out, manually remove what you can, then make a new batch of Dawn/peroxide mix and put it back in. After a while whats left of the real tough gristly stuff should be loosened as well. Not sure if there is science behind it or if I just have a mental thing about it but after it has soaked in the dawn and peroxide its last time, I put some extra peroxide on it and leave it out to dry in the sun for a day or two. I SWEAR it gets whiter that way but it could just be me.

I have done this with some coyote skulls and it seems like they look better than with boiling. Plus teeth arent cracking/falling out everywhere like after a hard boil.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
hunter94
 June 16 2017 05:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

thanks guys, I'll have to give it a shot when its not raining outside.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 07:12 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.16 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com