Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/17/2017 @ 09:56 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Catfishing New Topic Post Reply
 Freezer burnt fish for bait?

|  Printable Version
bhilligas
 June 16 2017 04:10PM (Read 1652 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Has anyone ever used old fish fillets for catfish bait? I have quite a bit of fish from 2 or 3 yes ago that's just sitting in the freezer. I figured I could cut them up and try using some for bait.

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 June 16 2017 05:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

Myself I wouldn't waste my time with it. Oils and everything is all dried out. Thats why I use fresh cut. Got a 5 lber first thing this morning with that set up.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 16 2017 06:02PM  
Forum Senior Member

I had that exact thing happen once. Left some fish around too long and used it for bait. My buddy had fresh cut and he caught 5 while I managed one. Im convinced I couldve done better with crawlers.

If you trap though it still smells so you can use it for that. I've gone that route with old fish and the coons dont seem to mind. Keep in mind it will dry out fast though.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 June 19 2017 10:44AM  
Forum Senior Member

How come bass fishermen don't ask, "Hey I found my grandpa's old tacklebox. I am not sure what the lures are, or how they work. The hooks are missing or very dull and rusty." All the spinner baits won't spin as they are way too rusty and gummed up. The plastics in the tackle box are one big worm because they melted, BUT do you think I can still catch a bass on this stuff?"

IMO that is they same type of question with the same answer for both.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 June 19 2017 01:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

Too bad it doesn't work better.

That is one of the reasons I don't freeze very much fish, it tends to end up in the freezer a bit too long and it does get freezer burned fairly easily. Another reason is that when the wife wants a meal if fish, if there isn't any in the freezer it gives me an excuse to go fishing. Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
#HawkNation
 June 19 2017 02:31PM  

Couple winters ago had a real good ice fishing trip. Had a bunch of good sized blue gills and crappie I filleted and stuck in the fridge day before the superbowl. Ended up having a family emergency and had to leave town the next morning. By the time I remembered that fish was sitting in the fridge it had been about a week.

Rather than throw it all out I divided into a few different zip lock bags. Thawed some out over memorial day weekend and gave it a try, no luck. I did notice there wasn't much smell to it. Added some garlic to one of the bags and gave it a try couple weeks ago, ended up catching a couple decent channel's. I'd say give it a try, but don't expect too much.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 June 19 2017 10:19PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: oldstylelight

How come bass fishermen don't ask, "Hey I found my grandpa's old tacklebox. I am not sure what the lures are, or how they work. The hooks are missing or very dull and rusty." All the spinner baits won't spin as they are way too rusty and gummed up. The plastics in the tackle box are one big worm because they melted, BUT do you think I can still catch a bass on this stuff?"

Because you could probably still catch a bass off that old garbage! Catfish are as easily fooled.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 June 20 2017 10:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Because you could probably still catch a bass off that old garbage! Catfish are as easily fooled.

The average angler like myself thinks about fishing every day, but only has a half day on the weekend and maybe an hour or two one day after work. My point being, in that limited time, use the right crap!

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 June 22 2017 06:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Not to get off topic but I have found that freezing fish in a solid block of ice prevents freezer burn. Still I usually eat within 6 months though.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 June 22 2017 10:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

The average angler like myself thinks about fishing every day, but only has a half day on the weekend and maybe an hour or two one day after work. My point being, in that limited time, use the right crap!

I mistyped my point....I was trying to be witty but I lost my pun via autocorrect. I meant to say catfish aren't as easily fooled. I agree, if you are going to go out you might as well use the best stuff you can.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 June 22 2017 10:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Not to get off topic but I have found that freezing fish in a solid block of ice prevents freezer burn. Still I usually eat within 6 months though.

I agree. Or vacuum packing it. But if I ha e a bowl full of filets it is easier to put them in a gallon zippy full of water than getting out the vac packer

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 June 23 2017 01:01AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

I agree. Or vacuum packing it. But if I ha e a bowl full of filets it is easier to put them in a gallon zippy full of water than getting out the vac packer

Ziplock bag and water is my method also. Usually use a sharpie pen and mark what and the date on them.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.34 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 09:56 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.38 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com