Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/18/2017 @ 03:24 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Deer hunters discuss CWD

|  Printable Version
TrapCyclone
 June 17 2017 09:00AM (Read 2097 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Theres an article on WHOtv that discusses the spread of CWD in Iowa and its potential impact on the deer herd and deer hunting in Iowa in general. Does anyone have any thoughts on how much CWD might spread and the potential impact it might have? I really don't know as I am not a wildlife biologist, but it sounds like it has people really worried.

http://whotv.com/2017/06/16/deer-hunters-discuss-the-threat-of-chronic-wasting-disease-after-supreme-court-ruling/

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
3.5 tens
 June 17 2017 09:18AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

[url]http://globegazette.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/court-rules-in-favor-of-clear-lake-couple-in-land/article_440a0a6c-f1c2-5931-b35b-e1f662606911.html

no man is closer to the beginning of all things than when he is familiar with a marsh.

Profile Email Website PM
nlar
 June 17 2017 06:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Im going to sit back and watch this one!!!!

Profile Email PM
ducksandbucks
 June 17 2017 08:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

As with most everything, this comes down to money. Too bad the state/DNR just dont step up and fund the containment of the property. I doubt the landowners would oppose the state/dnr pay for the containment

CWD in Iowa is inevitable unfortunately. Sad.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 June 18 2017 10:17AM  
Forum Senior Member

Here in Wyoming Wildlife farming is illegal because you can't​ depend on a private Enterprise to ensure public welfare if they don't face meaningful penalties. They go broke and essentially walk away. Yes cwd is probably inevitable it's now edemic here where I live. Started in research facility in Colorado spread to a neighbor wildlife farm that went broke and opened gates allowing all contained animals elk deer sheep to escape. Right on the WY CO border. It took 25 years to spread to most of the state. Where deer population was highest it spread the fastest.

Profile Email PM
FMB50010
 June 19 2017 08:32AM  
Regular Contributor

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 19 2017 08:46AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

i have a lot of respect for Don Higgins. i buy his beans....but the RWWP EHD campaign mineral mixes has nothing to do with CWD.

WI has CWD, it personally believe it's a crock of chit! They been killing and killing and kiiling them deer but no one has actually seen a sick animal. WI DNR just wants the deer gone and dead. I wouldn't worry, it's been out West for years...

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 19 2017 10:29AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: BullBlueGill

i have a lot of respect for Don Higgins. i buy his beans....but the RWWP EHD campaign mineral mixes has nothing to do with CWD.

WI has CWD, it personally believe it's a crock of chit! They been killing and killing and kiiling them deer but no one has actually seen a sick animal. WI DNR just wants the deer gone and dead. I wouldn't worry, it's been out West for years...

Out of curiosity, why does WI want all the deer dead if they aren't diseased? I get it HERE, Big Ag hates deer and so does the insurance industry. Both of which pull quite a few strings in this state, if not all of them. But in WI I don't see the reasoning behind decimating the herd? Just curious on why they would shoot themselves in the foot in terms of revenue for deer tags and local spending on deer hunting related stuff/hotels/gas/etc.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Whip
 June 19 2017 11:36AM  
Forum Senior Member

I will guess that they are attempting to stop the spread of CWD by killing all the deer in the area where it has been detected. When it was first discovered here where I live about 10 years ago the Game and Fish came and shot quite a few deer to determine the prevalence of the disease in the area. Once they had an idea of the number of deer infected they determined it was a waste of time to try and eliminated the disease here. I let them shoot several on my place that were coming to an alfalfa field. As a result we have CWD here in our deer and to some degree in our elk herd but much lower rate of infection in our elk. I get all of my deer and elk tested by the state game and fish to see if they are positive for CWD. You remove a lymph gland from the neck and send it in for analysis. If positive you don't have to utilize the meat. At first I was not too worried about it but more recently the new state veterinarian has been encouraging that you not consume any animals that test positive for CWD. If you're not testing your harvested deer you really don't know if it's an issue or not. Here in Wyoming the Game and Fish encourage all hunters to send in lymph nodes from harvested deer and elk to check for CWD. They also collect blood from elk to check for brucellosis. Once again it was first detected in Colorado at a research facility and then later at a neighboring wildlife farm that had sent animals all over the US. The wildlife farming industry was loosely regulated compared to the livestock industry prior to this issue being discovered. For those that are also livestock producers you know that if your livestock test positive for some restricted disease your going to suffer a huge loss and will have to in some cases have your animals killed and buried. Lose a cow to brucellosis and your herd will be eliminated no other choices offered.

Here is a link to information from WY Game and Fish on CWD:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Wildlife-in-Wyoming/More-Wildlife/Wildlife-Disease/CWD-Disease-Info

Profile Email PM
FMB50010
 June 19 2017 11:40AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: FMB50010
https://www.realworldwildlifeproducts.com/ehd-expect-healthy-deer-technology/

Thank for the heads up bull

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 20 2017 02:26PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: speng5

Out of curiosity, why does WI want all the deer dead if they aren't diseased? I get it HERE, Big Ag hates deer and so does the insurance industry. Both of which pull quite a few strings in this state, if not all of them. But in WI I don't see the reasoning behind decimating the herd? Just curious on why they would shoot themselves in the foot in terms of revenue for deer tags and local spending on deer hunting related stuff/hotels/gas/etc.

Well it's all about Revenues in WI. they have the CWD zones and they have just been beating on the deer. I don't even know recently what they have found. I know the WI DNR couldn't care less about deer numbers, they manage license sales. If interest and hunter numbers are down, they come up with some BS, like holiday hunts and extra hunts to make people feel like it's easier. This year they legalized wearing HOT PINK so more women had the opportunity to choose. LMFAO, WI is a Effin joke. Next thing will be baiting will be legal, MARK MY WORD. If the gun hunters complain about no deer around and license numbers fall, they bow down and give them what they want. you should see how many people in WI are livid about the baiting ban. I'll eat my words but I'll bet if numbers fall low again and gun hunters complain, the DNR will lie again, say CWD is under control and allow baiting. I'm not even BS'n here, that's how crooked the WI DNR is. They do what needs to be done to drum up revenue. Just like the 10,000 of acres of public they are selling.....YES, I said ten thousand acres.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 20 2017 02:31PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

https://www.realworldwildlifeproducts.com/ehd-expect-healthy-deer-technology/

Thank for the heads up bull

Yeah, Expect Healthy Deer technology is targeted to help EHD. They claim it helps protect the deer from biting midge, lowers core temp and apparently results in game farms were daunting.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 20 2017 02:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

Well it's all about Revenues in WI. they have the CWD zones and they have just been beating on the deer. I don't even know recently what they have found. I know the WI DNR couldn't care less about deer numbers, they manage license sales. If interest and hunter numbers are down, they come up with some BS, like holiday hunts and extra hunts to make people feel like it's easier. This year they legalized wearing HOT PINK so more women had the opportunity to choose. LMFAO, WI is a Effin joke. Next thing will be baiting will be legal, MARK MY WORD. If the gun hunters complain about no deer around and license numbers fall, they bow down and give them what they want. you should see how many people in WI are livid about the baiting ban. I'll eat my words but I'll bet if numbers fall low again and gun hunters complain, the DNR will lie again, say CWD is under control and allow baiting. I'm not even BS'n here, that's how crooked the WI DNR is. They do what needs to be done to drum up revenue. Just like the 10,000 of acres of public they are selling.....YES, I said ten thousand acres.

How did a state with such a storied outdoor heritage hose it up so badly? During my grandpa's day WI was THE place to be to shoot deer, ducks, trap, fish, you name it. I have a feeling MN isn't far behind as the next northwoods paradise to screw itself.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 20 2017 02:56PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

How did a state with such a storied outdoor heritage hose it up so badly? During my grandpa's day WI was THE place to be to shoot deer, ducks, trap, fish, you name it. I have a feeling MN isn't far behind as the next northwoods paradise to screw itself.

First of all, the Mississippi Fly way has moved west for some reason, it no longer run down the heart of WI. there is no more going out and shooting limits on any lake you choose any more. Pressure on pretty much everything. Trapping isn't crap anymore, not many do it anymore....I don't do it so I really can't speak about it, just through what others tell me. WI was a paradise back when my pa was growning up. he shot roosters outside his house on 76 and layton, now it's a mall. there has been so much wild grasses area and no more habitat. Ducks are junk, Deer are WAY over pressured. Most of WI is lucky to be average except for West and SW wis where terrain and big money protect them. Sure, big ones are killed all over but 30 guys are hunting one 150 inch deer. Down in other parts of the midwest, there are 20 150's being hunted by 3 guys in a few thousand acres. There is nothing in WI besides fishing that is worth coming for IMO. THe fishing is great, some spots are better than 50 years ago, some were better 50 years ago but fishing is still great. If i had the opportunity to hunt the best stuff in WI, I'd still go to Iowa. Truth. I know Zero about MN, so I can't speak to it.

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 June 20 2017 11:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Well I have hunted WI and IA about equally for the last decade. For deer IA is better except for a few WI counties. Grouse, pheasant, bear, etc is better up there. Federal judges in CA disallowing wolf control killed deer hunting more than WI residents or the DNR.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 22 2017 11:59AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Well I have hunted WI and IA about equally for the last decade. For deer IA is better except for a few WI counties. Grouse, pheasant, bear, etc is better up there. Federal judges in CA disallowing wolf control killed deer hunting more than WI residents or the DNR.

I'll agree 100 on IA better for deer and WI better for bear and grouse, but roosters are better in IA even though it's not what it used to be. Native birds in WI are coming back a bit, but nothing like it was and not close to Dakoka's or Iowa in some places. Deer, there is no county in WI i'd hunt over the most average county in Iowa yearly. I'd find a less pressured spot in zone 2 better than pepin, buffalo or Crawford etc in WI. So we agree to some extent but not on all.

WI does have a better professional football team though. Big Grin

Who do you guys root for anyway, the Rams? Please don't tell me da bears! I'll accept the Vikings even....but not da Bears.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 22 2017 12:00PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I'll agree 100 on IA better for deer and WI better for bear and grouse, but roosters are better in IA even though it's not what it used to be. Native birds in WI are coming back a bit, but nothing like it was and not close to Dakoka's or Iowa in some places. Deer, there is no county in WI i'd hunt over the most average county in Iowa yearly. I'd find a less pressured spot in zone 2 better than pepin, buffalo or Crawford etc in WI. So we agree to some extent but not on all.

Who do you guys root for anyway, still the Rams? Please don't tell me da bears! I'll accept the Vikings even....but not da Bears.

Profile Email PM
sep0667
 June 22 2017 12:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

Who do you guys root for anyway, the Rams? Please don't tell me da bears! I'll accept the Vikings even....but not da Bears.

Hawkeyes

......also, I fear the great deer hunting IA is beginning to slide. Private land getting all locked up and regulation changes have begun.

Passing up a small buck today grows a bigger buck tomorrow...

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 22 2017 01:06PM  
Forum Senior Member

Sad to see what has happened to WI, not sure if the situation is unique to WI or is a trend of the upper midwest in general. Many parts of your first post I could have written myself. Yes the flyway has shifted west and IA sucks for waterfowling too, by and large. Due to the almighty dollar and yellow gold (corn) our land has been pillaged to the point that very few sections can support pheasants anymore. Yeah we used to be land of the giants and at least a good shooter buck behind every tree, but talk to most deer hunters and the glory days of the early 2000's are long gone - and it is a real coin toss what will happen with disease rearing its ugly head here....Honestly its all about perspective as I would probably personally forgo our straight crappy (at least in SE IA where I'm at) pheasant hunting and solidly mediocre to less than mediocre duck hunting to have a shot at grouse and bear....

Oh and pro teams varies a bit. Eastern Iowa from 80 south is a lot of bears fans but still quite a few pack fans. NE IA mostly pack. NC you get more vikes fans, south and west a smattering of Chiefs fans. Rams had a following when they were the greatest show on turf and had super bowl appearances, but since they went to LA I don't think there's really Rams fans here anymore. Most people are more invested in Iowa Hawkeyes or ISU Cyclones, or in recent years, the UNI Panthers.

I'd say my own affiliation but I'd just get laughed at.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 June 22 2017 01:07PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: sep0667

Hawkeyes

......also, I fear the great deer hunting IA is beginning to slide. Private land getting all locked up and regulation changes have begun.

I don't disagree with you. Outfitting ruins stuff. If folks lease to an outfitter, watch the age class on those farms go down. Eventually it turns into a killing camp. this happened to much of Pike Co Illinios. You can only run 12 guys through a property for so long and it becomes run down. I think Iowa is fine if they just keep us Non residents out. They should get rid of the Non res doe tags, that's a loop hole worth closing. If you don't have a buck tag, you don't hunt.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.34 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com