Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
08/19/2017 @ 09:07 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Newbie gear question

|  Printable Version
DaveFishes
 June 18 2017 06:06PM (Read 1306 times)  

I have been a casual fisherman for many years and am starting to spend more time fishing. I don't have a boat so I do shore fishing at Big Creek and Lake MacBride. I also do some trout fishing in NE Iowa.

I currently have two rod/reels both old (20 years at least) Berkely Lightning rods with equally old Shakespeare spinning reels. One is an ultralight set up for trout and the other is medium for everything else. I just got a gift from my kids to be spent on fishing gear.

My dilemma is this - my medium spinning reel is in bad shape and needs to be replaced (I might be able to repair it) but my ultralight works fine. Both however are old low end reels, when I was in the store checking out reels I was surprised at how solid the new ones feel with no play at all.

The gift I received is about enough to either buy one decent quality rod/reel (thinking Fenwick HMG/Pflueger President or Purist) or two reels to use with my existing lightning rods.

I am really not sure which way I want to go. Any suggestions?

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 June 18 2017 06:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Check the rod eyes and wrappings. The lightening was a descent. You want a open or close face spinning reel?

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 June 18 2017 06:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

Speaking as someone who has both a Fenwick and a Pfleuger President, you wont be sorry with either.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
DaveFishes
 June 18 2017 06:34PM  

I guess I should have mentioned that I am currently looking for open faced spinning reels.

A little back story. I used to fish a lot in high school, smallmouth, catfish, trout, and fly fishing for carp (don't judge -- it was the 1970s). Today I spend a couple of days a week working in Des Moines (I live in Cedar Rapids) where my mom lives. She is well into her seventies and loves to fish but doesn't really have anyone to take her so I try to take her out once a week and we've been having a great time.

The only place we have gone in the Des Moines area is Big Creek. We've gotten some crappie and striped bass along with lots of small walleyes but no keepers. Any suggestions for other Des Moines areas with shoreline access (she can't walk too far) would be greatly appreciated. We are both experienced trout fisherman but not terribly sophisticated when it comes to other species.

Most importantly, fishing gives me a connection with my mother and lets us spend hours together ... I had forgotten how great it is!

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 June 18 2017 06:50PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

Speaking as someone who has both a Fenwick and a Pfleuger President, you wont be sorry with either.

Agree. You can't do wrong with with. I would lean to Pflueger xl.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
hunter94
 June 18 2017 08:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

I love my fenwick hmx and pfleuger president combos so much I have 3!

Profile Email PM
slater1
 June 19 2017 08:22AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Try the many different ponds at the parks in Ankeny. The DMACC pond would be worth a try too. Look at when Petocka Lake in Bondurant and Banner Lake near Indianola are stocked with trout in the urban trout program and give them a try. Will have to wait till fall till they stock again.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!

Profile Email PM
iowavf
 June 19 2017 09:24AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have a couple Pflueger spinning reels and they are hard to beat for the money. One was a combo and the other I paired with a 6 1/2" Bass Pro light action rod for crappie. Decent pole for not much money and allows me to cast a little further from the shore. I've caught several bass on it along with about a 25 lb flat head that took my road runner. I think i would go with a nice reel and new rod.

Profile Email PM
LundImpact1675
 June 19 2017 09:48AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I currently own 5 Pflueger Presidents from the 6920 to the 6930, and i wouldn't spend more money on a spinning reel. Rock solid construction, very smooth drag, confident anit-reverse, etc... I was a Shimano and Quantum guy for years, but I don't plan to go back anytime soon.

Regarding rods, I think the St. Croix Triumph series are a great value and offer the right level of sensitivity and backbone for the majority of people. When I was in my 20s I would have never thought about purchasing a $100 rod, but after I bought my first one I couldn't believe what I had been missing. My old Rhino rods were relegated to catfishing only. Wink

***EDIT***
I forgot to comment on your Berkeley Lightning rod question. Depending on the model, weight, etc..., some of these were pretty decent rods. I owned one 20 years ago that had an IM 6 or 7 blank and had stainless inserts in the rod guides. At that time it was one of my best rods until a buddy snapped off the tip and about 8" of the rod pulling the boat into his garage. Angry

Profile Email PM
DaveFishes
 June 19 2017 09:57AM  

Thanks for all the info. I finally decided to go with the Fenwick HMG and Pflueger President. I want to see what it is like to fish with a 100% modern updated setup Smile

Also thank you for the advice on places to fish. My mom and I will try DMACC this week.

Profile Email PM
gofishN
 June 19 2017 09:55PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Had about every rod known to man, over the last few decades, Some are better than others, in different ways. Overall, I prefer Fenwick, today. Good Rod for price. St Croix is great, slightly overpriced for what you get, Loomis is most sensistive but I will never own another, Break to easily and too often. Reels one can hardly go wrong with shimano, for toughness and longeviity, but Pflueger president is my prefered reel.Supremes are great too, Xt or LE series for both, Not a fan of the Patriachs, had too many issues with them not holding up and giving me frustration.

FOr fishing spots, try the ponds just west of southridege mall, Lake ANita is pretty area nd easy to get too but one must drive for an hor to get there.

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 June 20 2017 11:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

I like the president for a spinning reel. For rods there are many options. I am a big fan of the St Croix eycon series and avid x but my wife runs abu venteda and is really happy with them.

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 July 13 2017 07:39AM  
Regular Contributor

This thread is a little old but I thought it would be nice to let people know that Dick's has a Flash Sale going on today. Some fishing stuff up to 50% off. The Pflueger spinning reel is about $10 off and selling for $49 but the best deal is the Pflueger combo that's selling for the same price. I'm sure the rod isn't that great but you're basically still getting the reel on sale and the rod for free. Fantastic deal.

Profile Email PM
Bobio
 July 13 2017 08:52AM  

Quote by: scherrman

This thread is a little old but I thought it would be nice to let people know that Dick's has a Flash Sale going on today. Some fishing stuff up to 50% off. The Pflueger spinning reel is about $10 off and selling for $49 but the best deal is the Pflueger combo that's selling for the same price. I'm sure the rod isn't that great but you're basically still getting the reel on sale and the rod for free. Fantastic deal.

I'll chime in with a deal as well. Cabela's website has Pflueger spinning reels on sale right now for $39.99.

Profile Email PM
oaxaca
 July 17 2017 08:16AM  
Regular Contributor

Ponds west of Southridge mall?

Chap

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.53 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 09:07 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.58 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com