Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:03 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Panfishing New Topic Post Reply
 Best rod for throwing light crappie and bluegill jigs

|  Printable Version
LundImpact1675
 June 20 2017 08:43AM (Read 2225 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

All- looking for recommendations on the best crappie/bluegill rod for throwing light jigs. I currently use a ML 6' St. Croix Triumph and 6925 Pflueger President with 6# mono, and it works fantastic for lures and baits 1/8 oz and heavier and for slip bobbing in all conditions. However, it does not throw 1/16 oz and lighter jigs very well.

I have a Pflueger President 6920 that I would like to match with a rod that can sling light jigs without having to wind it up and throw my shoulder out whipping it. I assume I need a longer UL, but the ones that I have handled at Wally World and BP feel low quality and too whippy. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Profile Email PM
walleye jim
 June 20 2017 09:40AM  
Regular Contributor

I would suggest changing line.. nanofil excels at throwing light lures/jigs..

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 June 20 2017 09:42AM  
Forum Senior Member

An ultralight is going to feel 'whippy' - that's part of what lets you cast the lightweight jigs. I picked up a 7' UL Shakespeare at the Fisherman's Factory outlet for $5 a couple weeks ago, and I've got a 7.5' UL Cabelas rod with a Pflueger President and 4 lb mono as my go-to panfish rod.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
LundImpact1675
 June 20 2017 11:49AM  
Regular Contributor

I will take a peek at the nano line.

Does that 7.5' UL have enough backbone to get a solid hookset on the occasional bass?

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 June 20 2017 12:28PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Here are a couple to consider.
http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmg/fenwick-hmg-spinning/1363884.html#prefn1=ZZSERIES&prefv1=Fenwick%252520HMG&start=2

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmx/fenwick-hmx-spinning/1405243.html#prefn1=ZZSERIES&prefv1=Fenwick%252520HMX&start=1

Nice rods and not as "wimpy" as one might expect. I've handled eater size walleyes without too much problem. I am partial to the Fenwick® HMX® Spinning Model#HMX76L-MFS-2

Profile Email PM
Loomis13
 June 20 2017 03:29PM  
Regular Contributor

Why not look at the St.Croix panfish series rods? The 7" Light and the 6'9" UL would be great options.

Profile Email PM
LundImpact1675
 June 20 2017 09:47PM  
Regular Contributor

Thank you for all the recommendations guys.

Regarding the St. Croix's, I know they make fine rods, and I was interested in seeing if there was an alternative out there with similar performance for less than $100. I spent a lot more on lower quality reels before I bought my first Pflueger. Wink

Profile Email PM
Loomis13
 June 21 2017 07:57AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: LundImpact1675

Thank you for all the recommendations guys.

Regarding the St. Croix's, I know they make fine rods, and I was interested in seeing if there was an alternative out there with similar performance for less than $100. I spent a lot more on lower quality reels before I bought my first Pflueger. Wink

Got it. I would look at Fenwicks then like someone else mentioned.

Profile Email PM
iowapackfan
 June 21 2017 08:08AM  

a good 61/2-7 ft UL should do the trick, but I would suggest 4 lb. test . I have 2 Tica Cetus series reels that are awesome with a UL set up. Big Grin

Profile Email PM
ahawk100
 June 21 2017 09:01AM  
Regular Contributor

The 7' UL Shakespeare mentioned previously is very well priced if you ask me. I bought one and I am extremely pleased with it. Also as mentioned before change the line, change the line. I run 2 lb test on my reels crappie fishing. Sometimes I will drop to 1 lb. I throw a 1/32 and 1/64 jigs without a bobber which when I was running with 4 lb test I couldn't get it out over 6 feet. The lighter the line the farther you will be able to cast your turn.

Profile Email PM
ahawk100
 June 21 2017 09:06AM  
Regular Contributor

That St Croix panfish rod runs 99 dollars while that 7' UL Shakespeare (UL = micro lite) runs 19 dollars. You can buy a nice ultra lite reel with the 80 bucks you just saved. Don't get me wrong I have nothing again St Croix rods, I have two of them I use for worming while bass fishing. I just can't see spending that kind of money for a crappie rod, just my opinion.

Profile Email PM
RGR175
 June 21 2017 09:55AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: walleye+jim

I would suggest changing line.. nanofil excels at throwing light lures/jigs..

I've got nanofil on my panfish rig and I really like it. It's my sniper rifle of light fishing tackle. I've got an 8' Eagle Claw fiberglass rod and it slings light tackle across lakes. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email PM
crusher61
 June 21 2017 11:22AM  
Regular Contributor

I've been very pleased with a 6 1/2 foot, medium light action, Berkeley Lightning rod I bought on a trip to Minnesota a couple years ago after I broke an ultra light. It is rated for 6 to 12 lb line and 1/16 oz to 1/2 oz lures. It is my favorite crappie rod. It has a little backbone and I really believe I can cast light baits better with a little bit stiffer rod than one that is really whippy. I use 4 lb test Stren mono on a Pflueger Trion TRI25 reel and you can really cast 1/16 oz jigs easily. It's about the only crappie rod I use. It is well worth the $35-$40 I paid for it.

Profile Email PM
outdoorsron
 June 22 2017 12:09AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Hello: I agree you don't need an expensive rod for Crappie and gills. If a Scheels store is close check some of the Scheels brand rods. My experience with St. Crap , I mean St. Croix is their rods are way over priced for what you get and their customer service sucks. Good Luck. O - R

Profile Email PM
delmuts
 June 22 2017 06:32AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have a Shakespeare 6 1/2 but in a light action nice rod. Mine is paired up with a president 6730 and 2/8 braid ( with flouro leader). Had to much trouble with no control of fish ( not good on the Miss.) and hook sets with the UL. The line DOES make a world of difference for casting. This set up has handled 5 lb. northern and 3 + smallies. They were a hand full,( and fun!) but got them in.

Profile Email PM
gone bassin
 June 22 2017 07:06AM  
Regular Contributor

I don't know if they still offer it - But check out the Cabela's Crappie Rod by B & M. I have a 8 foot model that is amazing for slinging light jigs. I can launch a 1/16th jig 50-60 feet easily. It also has enough backbone to stick the occasional bass or walleye.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 June 22 2017 10:06AM  
Forum Senior Member

I've switched all my spinning rods over to the Elite Techs. It's the best combination of comfort, sensitivity, durability in a rod I've ever used. For gills, crappies, trout etc. I use the MODEL # ERR69L-FS-2. It's good at throwing light lures but still has enough backbone to land big fish. Not to mention Fenwick has a stellar customer service and warranty department. Buy once cry once.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-elite-tech/fenwick-elite-tech-river-runner-spin/1365086.html#start=13

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
LoewDog
 June 22 2017 10:49AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I was always a St. Croix guy but I think they have really dropped off over the last 10 years. My newest rod is an UL by them and I am not real happy with it.

Other than that UL I have switched all my rods to HMGs and I could not be happier. Will switch to the HMG UL when finances permit.

Always done the shorter ULs though, and you guys seem to be pretty consistent with longer ones.

Maybe I need a short and a long...which means I need a new rod now Laughing Out Loud

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Profile Email PM
VScott
 June 23 2017 12:09AM  

I really don't care for UL's. After my garage was broken into several years ago that was one outfit I didn't bother replacing. For the small stuff I have a Light 5'9" Falcon and use 4# XL with it, a pretty sweet little outfit. IMO longer rods in that weight seem kind of "whippy". I do go with longer rods for ML. All the comments about Fenwick kind of surprises me. I have two rods that sometimes I think about replacing, both HMG's. Most of my other stuff is either St. Croix or Falcon, much nicer rods I believe. Of course I haven't purchased a rod for over ten years so I'm sure things have changed.

Profile Email PM
Jason26
 June 23 2017 09:11AM  
Regular Contributor

6'6" or 7' on piece St. Croix avid. Love mine. I have a parish series too and not near as nice. I won't buy any St Croix unless it is the sclll graphite or better because the entry level St Croix rods are heavy and not sensitive for the $ paid. Much better options at that price point. You near Waterloo? If so I would meet up with you some evening so you can try my 6'6" avid and see what you think.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.21 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.25 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com