Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
07/21/2017 @ 03:44 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Panfishing New Topic Post Reply
 Best rod for throwing light crappie and bluegill jigs

|  Printable Version
BullBlueGill
 June 23 2017 09:51AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

First off I heard a lot of stuff here. Personally most of which i don't agree with. St Croix is not dropping off...whatever that means. St Croix rods are better now than ever, but they no longer made a "good" low end rod. The triumph's, Premiere's are absolute pieces of garbage for the money. that was not the case prior to computer generated actions. Back 12 years ago EVERY rod was hand made essentially, you could go through a rod bin and not one Premier was the same. you could find one that was more moderate, one that was kind of a close to Xtra fast but still labeled Medium Light Fast.

Personally i fish a ton of panfish, chase them more than anything. The rod does make a difference. Everyone thinks Ultra light, well if you are catching big fish, say gills 8.5+ or crappies that are 11+ you'll need some beef, yet sensitive and a tip that is not sloppy if you intend on casting a bobber. I can hit softball at 20 yards with a rocket bobber and the rods i use. you won't do it with a St croix panfish rod, those are a complete waste of money unless you plan on doing alot of small jig fishing on open water where accuracy is not an issue.

I am a st Croix guy through and through but i get them for 50% off....so for me to buy a $350 walleye stick isn't a big deal. On a budget though, one of the best rods (i'm not calling a panfish rod because it's not market as such) for panfishing i've used and are my absolute favorites for accuracy, ample back bone (pulling through weeds, out of canes and cattails) and sensitivity. A super sensitive rod will give you a great fight. The Fenwick HMG 6ft MLF is my absolute favorite gill and crappie stick. I have a few more but are above that $99 mark. The 7 ft HMG MLF is sweet too.

Sloppy Ultra Lights you should stay away from. Don't fall into the "generalization" that a panfish rod needs to be a 5'2" wip stick. If you are fishing bigger panfish they will make you their B!tch. Sloppy wip sticks are the last thing you want.

I agree with the Pfluger President 25 series, casts great, smooth drag and can be found online for $50-60. A brand new reel that I'm a HUGE fan of more than the president even is the new Diawa Revros. They are one of the best casting reels i've bought, even better than $100+ reels. I have 3, all used for walleye's right now, the light ultra light is how they classify them would be better. I have 3 of the 2500 series, you want to go down to the smaller size. i'm assuming it's the 2000 series.

I don't care what rods anyone runs and my opinion is just that. Brand makes no difference but I am adamant about rods that AREN'T sloppy and moderate actions. Faster actions give you accuracy and hook setting ability which you need on bigger fish. Quality of graphite and sensitivity will give you the good fight.

Profile Email PM
56bert
 June 24 2017 03:28PM  

My buddy & I have Fenwick Eagle gt ea66l-ml-2 as back up rods. A little bit heavy for 1/16 or 3/32 jigs with 2" twisters. We prefer 6'6" or 7' rods with a lure rating of 1/32 to 1/4 oz. No not put the smallest reel on that you can find the diameter of the spool affects casting distance. We also use a limp mono as in original Stren or Trilene xl 4lb. Spring & fall we target yellow bass & crappie. Been doing this for many years. Cheers Bert

Profile Email PM
gofishN
 July 15 2017 07:45PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

The problem with the "Super Sensitive" rods everyone always rave about, St Croix, Loomis etc. is they tend to bruise easily, then break at the bruise.
Example, Every Loomis rod I owned, fish two rods, oen i hand one resting on gunwale of anchored boat, fish hits the resting rod, lay down my hand rod quickly, not dropping it but not treating it liek fine porcelain china either. Rod bruises then when I do hook set a fish that is within 75% of rods ability, with proper drag set, 'break".

I simply got tired of lost fish. got so mad last time it happened, tossed the POS in the lake and gave every single loomis I had away to Father in law, Fiends and a couple of Nephews..

Shimano makes great rods but they are nto nearly as sensitve as Loomis or St Croix. Howeve,r they are darn near indestructable. Today, I fish all Fenwicks. Mostly Riverruner series but also have HMG, HMX, Eagle for the boy and various other rods.
BTW, with all that said, probably my absolute favorite rod, ever, is an old Mitchell rod and reel Combo that was a fishing show "Special"I picked up for $10. Bought that rod specifically for trudging through timber, brush, etc, to remote farm ponds.
It was bought with the intent to destroy it, over a more expensive rod. Got some scars, 30 years later, but still fishes great and casts like a dream. Gave it to my Boy, as his first fishing rod, after edxpaining all teh rods, their costs and h ow much I loved each adn this was my favorite. then told him to pick out any rod he wanted and we would start his rod collection with that one.

Bottom line, it was not the pen Mark Twain used, that made Huck Finn so memorable.
Agree with Pflueger reels and Diawa too. SHimano just seem to clunky. Cabela's had the president spinning reel on sale for $39. Just picked up a few for the kid, when I saw it. The patriarch has impressed me, at all. Too LIghtwieght and given me too many issues. Much prefer a Supreme Xt or even a President XT

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.26 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com