Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:03 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Walleye Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Lake fishing for walleye?

|  Printable Version
Wapsi Willy
 July 05 2017 04:41PM (Read 10085 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My walleye fishing experience has been exclusively jigging below dams in the Mississippi, my question is how does one effectively fish for eyes in large lakes?
Anyone wish to share some knowledge?
Thanks,
WW

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 05 2017 04:46PM  
Regular Contributor

Whole books have been written on this subject, and it really depends on what body of water and what time of year. That being said, in most Iowa lakes I think the summer pattern is usually centered on trolling spinner harnesses and crankbaits. Thank you for starting the thread though, because I am looking to learn more on this subject from experienced guys on the site as well.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 July 05 2017 07:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

Depends on the lake. I fish Storm Lake mostly for walleyes, white bass, and crappies...in that order. Out there, the lake is shallow by comparison to say a classic "Minnesota" type lake like West Okiboji. At Storm Lake we are mostly using a twistertail or a rapala of some sort. However there are guys who like to be more casual and like to troll crankbaits with planer boards. When I am up in Minnesota on many lakes, we just use Lindy Rigs, Crawler Rigs, or a slip bobber with a leech for bait. On some lakes I've fished up there, we drift with jig n' minnow, covering an underwater point, reef, or hump. Up in the Boundary Waters, we take turns paddling as the "trolling motor" and we use lindy rigs/crankbaits to cover big sections of water until we start catching fish- then we zero in on them with a portable fish finder and then use either a jig tipped with crawler or a leech/slip bobber. No wrong way to fish for them in lakes.

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 05 2017 07:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the lakes I fish...but I've always found walleye exponentially easier to catch in a river as opposed to a lake.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 July 05 2017 07:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

For me the difference is the lakes seem to be more early to nite, vs the rivers are more 24 hours a day. The shallower lakes particularly seem to be daylight sensitive to the day nite cycle. My theory is it is about the movement of the bait fish. In the spring in fall the water often stays warmer, early evening, attracting and congrating bait fish. Walleyes and crappie have the benefit of attack from below with bait silhouetted in the shallows.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Wapsi Willy
 July 05 2017 09:21PM  
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the tips, I believe I'll give it a whirl this week.

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
Will999
 July 05 2017 09:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

The secret is to find a lake that has walleyes which is pretty difficult in Iowa. Now if you go to a place like BWCA or Northern Wisconsin you can just toss out any reasonably sized crankbait and troll around for a couple hours and catch a ton (or throw jigs, whatever). I've tried all the same stuff around here for years and it's pretty discouraging. Saturday my wife showed up to pick me up at 9:15 and in the 15 minutes it took to motor back to the boat ramp, I caught 2 walleyes and 2 Northerns, the last walleye was over 27 inches. (and an bizarre number of fish throughout the day!)

Clear Lake, Storm and the Okobojis can be pretty good (relative to places like Big Creek and the major reservoirs) also but their walleyes numbers have tanked in the last few decades if you dig up the survey information. Long story short, you can drive yourself crazy here in Iowa, the difference is huge. I don't want to be discouraging, I'd just rather encourage folks to make a weekend of it if they can and hit actual walleye lakes. (if it's walleyes they are after) If you look at tournament results from even the best places in Iowa vs actual walleye lakes the numbers are astonishing.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=998976&mode=&show=5&page=4

Quote by: Will999

This got me wondering, what kind of fishing effort do walleyes take in Iowa? It would be really neat if you had some information on the interior rivers from tournaments but like musky tournaments at Big Creek, I'm not sure they would even be worth having.

So I started thinking about the top fisheries and if they had tournaments, like the Iowa State Championship-Okoboji, two day walleye tournament, surely some experienced anglers in nice boats that definitely know what they are doing in arguably the top walleye fishing lake in Iowa.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/pdf_files/05gnwc_iowa_champ.pdf

So 29 Teams of 2, fishing for two days, so 928 dedicated man hours of walleye fishing for 85 fish. So that's 11 hours of fishing per walleye? (only one team hit a limit both days) and the average weight was ~1 lb.

The bottom 10 teams picked up 4 walleyes (as in 4 total!) in 320 hours of fishing... (sounds more like my luck Razz )

Then you think about a place like Devils Lake: http://masterswalleyecircuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Devils-Lake-Final.pdf?x48874

So the top 2 teams caught as many lbs of walleyes with the same 10 fish limit as the entire Okoboji tournament!? 145 Limits caught, nearly every team. (and really that doesn't do it justice right because if nearly every team had a 10 fish limit they would have been culling like mad to get top weight!) The top team's average weight would have been around 6lbs per fish on day one, ALL of which would have been bigger than the largest fish caught at Okoboji in 928 hours of fishing. A 5 fish limit of walleyes weighing 30 lbs is basically inconceivable to me as an Iowan. We only 'kind of' have walleyes here. Smile

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 July 06 2017 12:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have had the best luck lake fishing for walleyes at dusk using a jig tipped with a worm although they have been caught under a bobber as well. I think what makes fishing for walleyes on lakes a bit more difficult than on rivers is that it can be harder to locate the fish.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 06 2017 01:16PM  
Regular Contributor

Trap- Agree with you on the last one. On a river you can keep hitting riffles, holes, and runs until you locate them and you can cover ground more efficiently. In a lake you can troll contours, toss cranks and jigs at structure, etc..., but I don't think you can cover the same amount of water as fast.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
walleye jim
 July 06 2017 01:45PM  
Regular Contributor

well many questions.. are you fishing from shore or in a boat on the lake? what time of year are you targeting?... walleyes move throughout the season.. most would tell you and i am included that if you want to catch them, try below the dams in spring and fall.. otherwise if you are fishing from shore, try a necked down area or current flow area ..it ain't easy to say where there is a magic spot..

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 July 07 2017 05:41AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

The secret is to find a lake that has walleyes which is pretty difficult in Iowa. Now if you go to a place like BWCA or Northern Wisconsin you can just toss out any reasonably sized crankbait and troll around for a couple hours and catch a ton (or throw jigs, whatever). I've tried all the same stuff around here for years and it's pretty discouraging. Saturday my wife showed up to pick me up at 9:15 and in the 15 minutes it took to motor back to the boat ramp, I caught 2 walleyes and 2 Northerns, the last walleye was over 27 inches. (and an bizarre number of fish throughout the day!)

Clear Lake, Storm and the Okobojis can be pretty good (relative to places like Big Creek and the major reservoirs) also but their walleyes numbers have tanked in the last few decades if you dig up the survey information. Long story short, you can drive yourself crazy here in Iowa, the difference is huge. I don't want to be discouraging, I'd just rather encourage folks to make a weekend of it if they can and hit actual walleye lakes. (if it's walleyes they are after) If you look at tournament results from even the best places in Iowa vs actual walleye lakes the numbers are astonishing.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=998976&mode=&show=5&page=4

This got me wondering, what kind of fishing effort do walleyes take in Iowa? It would be really neat if you had some information on the interior rivers from tournaments but like musky tournaments at Big Creek, I'm not sure they would even be worth having.

So I started thinking about the top fisheries and if they had tournaments, like the Iowa State Championship-Okoboji, two day walleye tournament, surely some experienced anglers in nice boats that definitely know what they are doing in arguably the top walleye fishing lake in Iowa.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/pdf_files/05gnwc_iowa_champ.pdf

So 29 Teams of 2, fishing for two days, so 928 dedicated man hours of walleye fishing for 85 fish. So that's 11 hours of fishing per walleye? (only one team hit a limit both days) and the average weight was ~1 lb.

The bottom 10 teams picked up 4 walleyes (as in 4 total!) in 320 hours of fishing... (sounds more like my luck Razz )

Then you think about a place like Devils Lake: http://masterswalleyecircuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Devils-Lake-Final.pdf?x48874

So the top 2 teams caught as many lbs of walleyes with the same 10 fish limit as the entire Okoboji tournament!? 145 Limits caught, nearly every team. (and really that doesn't do it justice right because if nearly every team had a 10 fish limit they would have been culling like mad to get top weight!) The top team's average weight would have been around 6lbs per fish on day one, ALL of which would have been bigger than the largest fish caught at Okoboji in 928 hours of fishing. A 5 fish limit of walleyes weighing 30 lbs is basically inconceivable to me as an Iowan. We only 'kind of' have walleyes here. Smile

Not difficult at all in Iowa to find and catch walleyes. Use the dnr website to locate and find lakes with walleyes. There is some excellent walleye fishing in our prairie lakes. Was out yesterday with 2 friends and caught a nice limit of walleyes in a shallow lake. Lake is chock full of weeds only method to fish it was a slip bobber and piece of night crawler or leech. lake is really clear and we caught them in middle of the day. Don't know how to post pics but we had 15 nice 14 to 17 inch eyes. Love shallow lakes.The fish grow fast and the lakes are easy to fish. If no weeds trolling would be my go to tactic. Also only 1 other boat on lake. Heading out today to give it another try. Mn has nothing on Iowa in walleye fishing just different types of lakes more of them and maybe scenery. But the lake we were on had a loon by us all day waiting for us to discard a gut hooked perch and a bald eagle swooping down now and then to pick up an easy meal. was worried about the loon eating a perch with a hook in its gut. This loon was very socialized it wasn't his first rodeo on easy meals.

Profile Email PM
Will999
 July 07 2017 06:06PM  
Forum Senior Member

Not difficult at all in Iowa to find and catch walleyes. Use the dnr website to locate and find lakes with walleyes. There is some excellent walleye fishing in our prairie lakes. Was out yesterday with 2 friends and caught a nice limit of walleyes in a shallow lake. Lake is chock full of weeds only method to fish it was a slip bobber and piece of night crawler or leech. lake is really clear and we caught them in middle of the day. Don't know how to post pics but we had 15 nice 14 to 17 inch eyes. Love shallow lakes.The fish grow fast and the lakes are easy to fish. If no weeds trolling would be my go to tactic. Also only 1 other boat on lake. Heading out today to give it another try. Mn has nothing on Iowa in walleye fishing just different types of lakes more of them and maybe scenery. But the lake we were on had a loon by us all day waiting for us to discard a gut hooked perch and a bald eagle swooping down now and then to pick up an easy meal. was worried about the loon eating a perch with a hook in its gut. This loon was very socialized it wasn't his first rodeo on easy meals.

Based on your description I think you might have actually gotten lost and were fishing in Minnesota... Laughing Out Loud But that's why I posted the Iowa walleye tourney results, there are several you could find but I'm pretty sure you guys could have won a good bit of money (and easily had taken 1st place) if that's a typical outing for you in Iowa. Anyway it would be silly to argue "Mn has nothing on Iowa in walleye fishing", I think any DNR officer would confirm that. I've asked several about why it's so dismal and they say Iowa just can't hold a candle to all of those natural glacial lakes Minnesota has.

The will say that we do well with other species, I've heard our rivers referred to as 'catfish factories'.

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 July 08 2017 09:21AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Well it was another good day as we limited out again. There were 4 boats on lake today talk to one boat they had there 3 man limit of 15 and some nice perch. We had our 2 man limit and the boat next to me I watched them catch 10 to 12 walleyed and a couple of 5 lb+ bass. Plus the loon was still there. Like I said MN has nothing on Iowa. I believe you ll be able to catch these fish all yr. and it will only get better. Also bull frogs as big as your fist am trying to figure out how to get a few of these for frying pan any suggestion would be appreciated.

Profile Email PM
bigbuckhunter88
 July 08 2017 10:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: SADIEHAWKINS

Well it was another good day as we limited out again. There were 4 boats on lake today talk to one boat they had there 3 man limit of 15 and some nice perch. We had our 2 man limit and the boat next to me I watched them catch 10 to 12 walleyed and a couple of 5 lb+ bass. Plus the loon was still there. Like I said MN has nothing on Iowa. I believe you ll be able to catch these fish all yr. and it will only get better. Also bull frogs as big as your fist am trying to figure out how to get a few of these for frying pan any suggestion would be appreciated.

Night time gigging. Or use a topwater hollow body frog used for bass fishing. They will jump on them like crazy and you can hook them

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 July 08 2017 01:46PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: bigbuckhunter88

Night time gigging. Or use a topwater hollow body frog used for bass fishing. They will jump on them like crazy and you can hook them

i've heard red yarn on a fly rod. don't know much about limits or whats legal a legal way to harvest

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 July 08 2017 05:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

There are lots of ways to fish for walleyes in the summer. Cranks are one way, pulling spinners(crawler harnesses) is another. Jigging works, slip bobbering leeches is a good way also. Minnows will catch fish in the summer but they are a blessed nuisance to keep alive sometimes.

Hunting frogs at night with a head lamp and an open sighted .22 was a blast when I was young. But a frog will grab anything small enough to fit in his mouth you have to be slightly heartless to do that to a cute little frog. You wouldn't hook a bunny in the mouth.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
ducksandbucks
 July 09 2017 02:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

I was there! 20 inch crappie were abundant as well. Bluegill the size of hubcaps.

Hope you really are on that good of fishing. I can only think of a couple shallow lakes in iowa where a day of walleye + 5 lbs bass + perch is even a possibility more less typical fishing. Would love to see pictures...

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 09 2017 06:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: ducksandbucks

I was there! 20 inch crappie were abundant as well. Bluegill the size of hubcaps.

Hope you really are on that good of fishing. I can only think of a couple shallow lakes in iowa where a day of walleye + 5 lbs bass + perch is even a possibility more less typical fishing. Would love to see pictures...

I was there too, and the reason its hard to catch a limit of eyes, 5 lb bass and perch is because when I filleted the 50" muskie I caught there it was full of all the above.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Agronomist_at_IA
 July 09 2017 10:12PM  
Regular Contributor

I don't think Iowa is at all terrible for fishing walleye. However with that being said I'm also fishing the lakes in the NW area which aren't to bad and getting better with the dredge operations going on.

I mean sure the walleye aren't easy to catch like Blue Gill. However with some effort and time they can be caught. Also, don't expect a lot of big walleye "eater size" 14in are to be more expected in the put & take lakes.

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 July 09 2017 10:24PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: ducksandbucks

One thing I do not do is bs. What's the point As I said before I did not catch the bass the boat next to me did. I do have pics of The 15 wall eyes on our first trip. Will be taking a pontoon up Tuesday me and about 5 other guys and am completely confident we will catch ourv25 wall eyes. We are averaging about 10 wall eyes a hr. Beleive what you want don't mean squat to me. I was just stating you don 't have far to go to catch eyes in Iowa. I can name numerous lake that are 5 to 10 ft deep that you can catch eyes about every time u go. Don t know how to post pics but if I did I would.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.92 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.96 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com