Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:13 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Walleye Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Lake fishing for walleye?

|  Printable Version
BullBlueGill
 July 17 2017 09:34AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: Agronomist_at_IA

I don't think Iowa is at all terrible for fishing walleye. However with that being said I'm also fishing the lakes in the NW area which aren't to bad and getting better with the dredge operations going on.

I mean sure the walleye aren't easy to catch like Blue Gill. However with some effort and time they can be caught. Also, don't expect a lot of big walleye "eater size" 14in are to be more expected in the put & take lakes.

Big gills, meaning 9+ are hard to find. a big gill is just as hard to locate and catch as walleye's in my opinion. Maybe not down in Iowa...but in WI, big gills are 8+. you guys have a lot of lakes you get 9.5+ as a norm. here we do not.
It's like walleye's here, it's really nothing to catch 50 walleye's in a half day. It's like bucks down in Iowa, you got have plenty and are big. WI has some but far and few in between per capita.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 17 2017 10:01AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I'b be glad to trade a 50+ walleye outing for a 50+ bluegill outing any time. There are lots of farm ponds where 9" average is the norm with 10+" fish common as well. My late best friend was from Wabasha, MN, and he used to love to come down and catch big gills down here.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 July 17 2017 10:46AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: CRIA1576

I'b be glad to trade a 50+ walleye outing for a 50+ bluegill outing any time. There are lots of farm ponds where 9" average is the norm with 10+" fish common as well. My late best friend was from Wabasha, MN, and he used to love to come down and catch big gills down here.

Not sure how excited i am about farm ponds, but like i said, You take for granted the resources that abundant in your area. We can go to green bay and boat 100 walleye's in 6 hours or less. It's fun but get's old. I haven't even fished it in 2 years. I have other things better i'd rather do. Scout, shed hunt, food plots, catch perch, gills etc. 30+ inch fish are fairy common out of GB and caught often..... or let me put it this way, they are not rare at all. I personally see 10 fish a year that are 11-12 lb range. that's not including pics others send or caught.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 17 2017 10:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'd trade all of whats been talked about to have good pheasant hunting again.

*starts stopwatch to see how long before someone from NWIA tells me how easy it is to limit on roosters every weekend*

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 17 2017 12:02PM  
Regular Contributor

Bull- farm ponds aren't the only place to catch big gills, and I consistently get 9-10" fish out of some area lakes under 100 acres, especially this time of year when the big fish are located on deep water structure. However, there is one farm pond in the area that 11-12" fish are a reality as well.

I also agree with you that catching one species does get old, and fortunately this time of year I usually find nice crappies and gills located on the same deep water haunts. In northern IA you can also get into some nice perch in the same areas, but south of US Hwy 30 there are very few lakes that hold consistent numbers of perch IME.

Speng- The eastern 1/3 has really been suffering from low bird numbers for several years. In this part of the state (west central) assuming we don't get an extended drought the remainder of the summer, numbers should be very good this fall. Many of the farmers both north and south of Hwy 141 are reporting very large brood numbers. I also have been receiving reports from 3 county road maintainers in Carroll, Greene, and Guthrie counties that they are seeing a sharp increase in broods so far. My fingers are crossed for the rest of the summer!

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 July 17 2017 12:16PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: CRIA1576

Bull- farm ponds aren't the only place to catch big gills, and I consistently get 9-10" fish out of some area lakes under 100 acres, especially this time of year when the big fish are located on deep water structure. However, there is one farm pond in the area that 11-12" fish are a reality as well.

I also agree with you that catching one species does get old, and fortunately this time of year I usually find nice crappies and gills located on the same deep water haunts. In northern IA you can also get into some nice perch in the same areas, but south of US Hwy 30 there are very few lakes that hold consistent numbers of perch IME.

Speng- The eastern 1/3 has really been suffering from low bird numbers for several years. In this part of the state (west central) assuming we don't get an extended drought the remainder of the summer, numbers should be very good this fall. Many of the farmers both north and south of Hwy 141 are reporting very large brood numbers. I also have been receiving reports from 3 county road maintainers in Carroll, Greene, and Guthrie counties that they are seeing a sharp increase in broods so far. My fingers are crossed for the rest of the summer!

[/b]

Oh I know, i have buddies that live there. they fish ponds and catch plenty in the lakes.

Profile Email PM
Will999
 July 17 2017 02:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Well.......Went out with two buddies on Friday morning at a local lake.

We caught 23.75, 22.5, 2-18, 3-17, 14.75, 5-14 for walleye by noon.

Also caught 3 20-26 in catfish, A 10in crappie, and 3 clams.....lol.

Didn't think that was to bad.

It's mid summer live bait spinners in the deep water.....no to hard to figure.

Clamming ain't easy!!!!

As far as the picture or report everyone is bagging on...or at least some people. What's the deal??? That picture is a normal day in wisconsin on winnebago or the bago chain. Don't go to Lake-link.com then, you'll crap your pants and be calling everyone a liar.

Lol, yes we believe you it IS a normal day in Wisconsin which was part of the original point. Smile

Profile Email PM
Agronomist_at_IA
 July 17 2017 08:44PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: speng5

*starts stopwatch to see how long before someone from NWIA tells me how easy it is to limit on roosters every weekend*

With the amount of CRP that went in on Prime farm ground where it had zero point of being besides high payments to the land owner........it should help the bird populations come back.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 July 17 2017 09:27PM  
Forum Senior Member

With the amount of CRP that went in on Prime farm ground where it had zero point of being besides high payments to the land owner........it should help the bird populations come back.

What????Your saying the government and all its employees do not know best?

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 17 2017 09:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

What part of the state are you referencing?

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 July 18 2017 07:36AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Well in NE iowa, the spot i bow hunt....the guy got paid big bucks to plant all CRP. it's like 150 acres of wild grassess, clover is in there etc. I hear birds cackle from time to time so there are birds around. I bet his habitat could support a dozen birds or so as it sit's now. i'm sure it will help and i'm sure others are planting more CRP. I'm excited because the farm was all crops but so it all the neighbors. Now we have huge bedding and food all around.

Isn't this a fishing thread??? Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email PM
Agronomist_at_IA
 August 02 2017 07:41AM  
Regular Contributor

I don't know about all parts of the state, but one can assume that things played out similar. In NW Iowa a fair amount went into CRP and the government paid big money. The program was suppose to put CRP onto ground to help clean up some of the nitrogen & other water issues we have. Since the government didn't have specifics on where the CRP and payments went, It went on some really high quality ground that didn't even have water on or near it. However since the CSR was high payments were high.

So what happened is older farmers that came off the best 5 yrs of farming they'd ever seen then looked at the future of lower prices and thought.......time to retire. So instead of renting it out to a younger guy to get started or to make a living they used the government CRP program to secure rediculously high payments for 10-15yrs from the government. Entire fields went into CRP that will not do much good for the community or water quality besides a retired guy getting a check to not work. In a lot of cases they were straight square fields that were flat, with no waterways or creeks on them.(which is ground that should be farmed). I guess the one good thing is it should help the pheasant population for hunting........at least for 10 if not 15years.

Profile Email PM
bandhunter
 August 02 2017 08:45AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I don't know about all parts of the state, but one can assume that things played out similar. In NW Iowa a fair amount went into CRP and the government paid big money. The program was suppose to put CRP onto ground to help clean up some of the nitrogen & other water issues we have. Since the government didn't have specifics on where the CRP and payments went, It went on some really high quality ground that didn't even have water on or near it. However since the CSR was high payments were high.

So what happened is older farmers that came off the best 5 yrs of farming they'd ever seen then looked at the future of lower prices and thought.......time to retire. So instead of renting it out to a younger guy to get started or to make a living they used the government CRP program to secure rediculously high payments for 10-15yrs from the government. Entire fields went into CRP that will not do much good for the community or water quality besides a retired guy getting a check to not work. In a lot of cases they were straight square fields that were flat, with no waterways or creeks on them.(which is ground that should be farmed). I guess the one good thing is it should help the pheasant population for hunting........at least for 10 if not 15years.

Little do you know I guess. CRP isn't just about water quality....... CRP stands for Conservation Reserve Program which was set up to improve environmental health and quality.

The environment doesn't just consist of water..... One of the biggest whole field programs you are seeing is the CP42 (Pollinator Habitat). This program was implemented because our pollinator populations are on drastic declines, but why would anyone care about pollinators we only grow corn and beans.....

Well 30% of food crops are dependent on insect pollinators, and I know for a fact you eat more than just food that is sourced from the C/SB supply chains.

I see no problem with these acres going in at all. In some of these areas you could literally drive 5+ miles and the only potential cover you would see are mowed/baled ditches that all happens before the legal July 15 date or manicured acreages that look like golf courses. I'm all for things looking nice and all but geesh....

JUST BEING GREAT

Profile Email PM
speng5
 August 02 2017 10:17AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Well in NE iowa, the spot i bow hunt....the guy got paid big bucks to plant all CRP. it's like 150 acres of wild grassess, clover is in there etc. I hear birds cackle from time to time so there are birds around. I bet his habitat could support a dozen birds or so as it sit's now. i'm sure it will help and i'm sure others are planting more CRP. I'm excited because the farm was all crops but so it all the neighbors. Now we have huge bedding and food all around.

Isn't this a fishing thread??? Laughing Out Loud

Any thread if left open long enough (not locked or moved to the battlefront) will eventually devolve into farming practices, landless peasants carping about landowner tags, waterfowl season dates, or catch and release walleye fishing.

Profile Email PM
eye
 August 03 2017 07:59AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

X2

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the lakes I fish...but I've always found walleye exponentially easier to catch in a river as opposed to a lake.

Profile Email PM
kel
 August 03 2017 03:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

There are no mountain lions in Iowa!

Profile Email PM
speng5
 August 03 2017 04:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: kel

There are no mountain lions in Iowa!

I know a guy who hammers the crap out of blue cats in Davenport

Profile Email PM
Agronomist_at_IA
 August 04 2017 09:00AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: bandhunter

Little do you know I guess. CRP isn't just about water quality....... CRP stands for Conservation Reserve Program which was set up to improve environmental health and quality.

The environment doesn't just consist of water..... One of the biggest whole field programs you are seeing is the CP42 (Pollinator Habitat). This program was implemented because our pollinator populations are on drastic declines, but why would anyone care about pollinators we only grow corn and beans.....

Well 30% of food crops are dependent on insect pollinators, and I know for a fact you eat more than just food that is sourced from the C/SB supply chains.

I see no problem with these acres going in at all. In some of these areas you could literally drive 5+ miles and the only potential cover you would see are mowed/baled ditches that all happens before the legal July 15 date or manicured acreages that look like golf courses. I'm all for things looking nice and all but geesh....

I don't disagree with some of your statement.

However, there are a lot better places that would have made much bigger impacts to improve the enviornment and health of it. With a lot less cost to our taxpayers. You may not have any problem with these acres going in, but you really don't understand or know the specifics. When 90% plus of people in the area shake their heads at just how foolish this program was, but take the money anyway it should tell a person something. It's a little off putting when your trying to talk down to me and explain what CRP is for, I'm very well aware of what it is for. You come across has a liberal with the way you positioned your statements, and some of your ignorance and preconceived notions are way off base.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:13 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.76 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com