Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
07/21/2017 @ 03:42 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Terrova anchor lock issues

|  Printable Version
CRIA1576
 July 14 2017 09:01AM (Read 1079 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey guys, for anybody that has a Terrova or Ulterra with anchor lock, does it actually hold you in place? I have an 80# unit on my Lund 1675, and it doesn't matter if its windy or calm, the anchor lock still lets the boat swing wildly and seems to only be accurate +/- 10 yards from where I engage it. Obviously if you're on a brush pile, hump, or rocks in the middle of a lake, this lack of precision doesn't really add much value. More often than not I simply toss a marker and deploy front and rear anchors to remain in position.

Is there a way to recalibrate the motor or other solution to this issue in your experience?

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
henpopper
 July 14 2017 09:39AM  

10 yards is probably about right. the newer model is like 5 feet. a drift sock may help your boat from swinging around. i had the new version of the terrova out last weekend and it worked flawlessly. i also fish places with current which helps with boat swing.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 14 2017 11:24AM  
Regular Contributor

Mine is a 2014 and do you know if there is some kind of software upgrade in the brand new units? I would agree that current could help, but in lieu of that I always point the bow into any availalble wind before I engage the lock. If 10 yards is the best it can do, that is pretty underwhelming. I will also contact MK and see if they have any tips.

Thank you!

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 July 14 2017 11:57AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have one I bought last summer and it works pretty darn well. In super high wind it will swing a bit but even then keeps me in a pretty tight area. Its an 80' terrova. Not sure if the fact that it is set up with my hummin bird makes a difference or not in how the spot lock feature works.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 14 2017 11:59AM  
Regular Contributor

I have the 80# with iPilot but not iLink. The motor should manage the GPS coordinates pretty tightly and keep you in place. However, I am going to doublecheck with the MK website.

***UPDATE***
I just checked the website and new hardware and software were implemented on iPilot and iLink motors for fall of 2016. These innovations significantly improve the spot lock feature's precision. Any of us with the older motors will have to leverage drift socks or the old standby, real anchors, to stay on structure.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
henpopper
 July 14 2017 02:54PM  

my new 80lb ipilot link came with an external heading unit that had to mount to the boat. thats why it is more exact than the older units. talks to the motor through blue tooth

Profile Email PM
Stickman
 July 14 2017 08:38PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CRIA1576

I have the 80# with iPilot but not iLink. The motor should manage the GPS coordinates pretty tightly and keep you in place. However, I am going to doublecheck with the MK website.

***UPDATE***
I just checked the website and new hardware and software were implemented on iPilot and iLink motors for fall of 2016. These innovations significantly improve the spot lock feature's precision. Any of us with the older motors will have to leverage drift socks or the old standby, real anchors, to stay on structure.

I have a terrova that is probably 6 years old and I would say where I lock it the head of my trolling motor will keep me with 10 feet. Obviously its not capable of knowing where the back of the boat is at the time of the lock so it does swing around when there is no current or wind. I think in the owners manual for my older motor is says 10 feet. 10 yards is not acceptable in my book. I would call Minnkota and tell em your issue.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 July 14 2017 10:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Spotlock works great.....but you have to read and be able to understand its abilities and the way it was designed to use it to its full potential. It will move you back into GPS location that you "SPOTLOCKED" on after it drifts 5 feet away. Your Terrova trolling motor has no way to tell how hard the wind is blowing or what direction it is blowing from or what the current speed is or direction of that either so do no expect it to correct for those conditions....it simply knows that the craft has moved over 5 ft from postion and it needs to move back to that direction to correct itself. The trolling motor if mounted on the front has no way to control the back of the boat so do not expect it to either. This motor linked to a couple of "birds" is a extremely powerful and effective tool if you learn to use it properly and efficiantly.

Profile Email PM
grizzwald660
 July 15 2017 11:47AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm not really impressed with mine either.

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 July 15 2017 12:49PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: twdenney

Spotlock works great.....but you have to read and be able to understand its abilities and the way it was designed to use it to its full potential. It will move you back into GPS location that you "SPOTLOCKED" on after it drifts 5 feet away. Your Terrova trolling motor has no way to tell how hard the wind is blowing or what direction it is blowing from or what the current speed is or direction of that either so do no expect it to correct for those conditions....it simply knows that the craft has moved over 5 ft from postion and it needs to move back to that direction to correct itself. The trolling motor if mounted on the front has no way to control the back of the boat so do not expect it to either. This motor linked to a couple of "birds" is a extremely powerful and effective tool if you learn to use it properly and efficiantly.

And, you have to keep in mind, the accuracy of consumer-grade GPS is about 2 meters. Anybody that advertises better than that without a correction source is lying to you. Not knowing how the system works, if it needs a 5' drift to start correcting itself, coupled with the ~7' accuracy of GPS, you're already over 10' of drift. Worst case, if you're sitting in the back of an 18' boat that is swaying, you could be looking at nearly 30' of error to your position.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
northwoodsbucks
 July 15 2017 02:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

Just throwing this out there but when I have used an anchor there is some movement as well. Both from the angle of the line allowing it to move and from wind causing the anchor to drag. Over a 30 minute span your position changes. Now to be fair I did not often use 2 anchors because the 2nd was a hand crank, I am sure that makes a difference.

With spot lock though for as long as I keep it on I stay within 10 or so feet of my target.

When I bought my new boat last year there was not a great way to attach an anchor where I wanted to. The solution was going to be to add a second back ladder platform and install on that. Well it took 4 weeks for the part to come in and during that time I decided it was not worth getting one based on my experience with spot lock. I dont even have one on my boat right now and have not missed it a bit. I troll and cast 80% of the time or more which might influence that but anyway.

Profile Email PM
m sauer
 July 15 2017 02:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

My spot lock runs about 10-15 +/- the spot, which is fine with me. You really can't expect it to keep spot on with all the factors. I love my Terrova with ipilot link....one of the tools I couldn't do without after having it.

Profile Email PM
drifty4
 July 15 2017 03:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

I guess you are using the wrong product....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5wZxVIWncI

Mr. Green Break out the greenbacks.

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genesis 27:3

Profile Email PM
m sauer
 July 15 2017 05:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: drifty4

I guess you are using the wrong product....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5wZxVIWncI

Mr. Green Break out the greenbacks.

I think these would kinda be a waste of money for most of us. They look cool on your boat but not gonna cut it when your vertical jigging in 20 ft of water.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 17 2017 09:40AM  
Regular Contributor

And, you have to keep in mind, the accuracy of consumer-grade GPS is about 2 meters. Anybody that advertises better than that without a correction source is lying to you. Not knowing how the system works, if it needs a 5' drift to start correcting itself, coupled with the ~7' accuracy of GPS, you're already over 10' of drift. Worst case, if you're sitting in the back of an 18' boat that is swaying, you could be looking at nearly 30' of error to your position.

This is exactly my experience. If it was just me sitting in the front of my boat, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I almost always have 4 people fishing in my boat. As a result, spot lock is only beneficial for the guy/gal in the front for the most part.

I started using a second anchor in the back during the last couple outings, and it works great and as advertised (LOL!). We "parked" upwind of a mid-lake structure in 25 fow on Saturday afternoon with a light breeze and didn't have to make any changes until we left at dark. BTW, in this SW Iowa lake the big crappies and big gills were suspended at 7' and crushing minnows. My wife, buddy, and I took home 40 fish with a 12" average on crappies and 9.5" on the gills. It was a great evening to be on the water, albeit a little warm.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 July 17 2017 09:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

there is an issue with 13-16 ipilots. their tech changed and it wonky'd up the spotlock. i've been in probably half a dozen boats with ipilot the last few years and i'll concede that some are crazy and some are not. no rhyme or reason.

my ipilot is version 1 ipilot and its about as accurate as can be. it stays within 5-10' really well.

i've seen some 2nd gens work just as well and i've seen some just be bonkers. spinning the boat around, rushing back to the spot at 10 (this is really fun when you are standing in the bow not paying attention)

a lot of factors obviously. i find in the dead calm, mine sometimes doesn't know what to do. but isn't really ever an issue. in super windy/heavy current/choppy water, it will drift a bit but not much issues.

the new terrova/ipilot is ridiculously accurate. i like the motorguides accuracy as well. and the jog funtion was awesome but the new MK has that now as well. i just prefer the MK as i like that their remote has information on it. the MG doesn't.

its funny listening to people gripe about their older ipilots that are for the most part working as intended (while completely acknowledging some are not working as intended). MK broke the mold with this tech. but as soon as 7 years is up and mg comes out with their own, now all the sudden its a pile of garbage. same guys were flaunting it 8 years ago.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 17 2017 10:05AM  
Regular Contributor

i've seen some 2nd gens work just as well and i've seen some just be bonkers. spinning the boat around, rushing back to the spot at 10 (this is really fun when you are standing in the bow not paying attention)

EXACTLY!!! Mine is of the wonky/bonkers variety... LOL! I am going to call and see what, if anything, can be done to try and correct it.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
henpopper
 July 17 2017 12:39PM  

Quote by: mskursh

there is an issue with 13-16 ipilots. their tech changed and it wonky'd up the spotlock. i've been in probably half a dozen boats with ipilot the last few years and i'll concede that some are crazy and some are not. no rhyme or reason.

my ipilot is version 1 ipilot and its about as accurate as can be. it stays within 5-10' really well.

a lot of factors obviously. i find in the dead calm, mine sometimes doesn't know what to do. but isn't really ever an issue. in super windy/heavy current/choppy water, it will drift a bit but not much issues.

the new terrova/ipilot is ridiculously accurate. i like the motorguides accuracy as well. and the jog funtion was awesome but the new MK has that now as well. i just prefer the MK as i like that their remote has information on it. the MG doesn't.

its funny listening to people gripe about their older ipilots that are for the most part working as intended (while completely acknowledging some are not working as intended). MK broke the mold with this tech. but as soon as 7 years is up and mg comes out with their own, now all the sudden its a pile of garbage. same guys were flaunting it 8 years ago.

with the new tech right on the remote there is a setting for boat scale. so if your motor is over sized for the boat like mine is, you can dial back how hard the motor kicks on. so instead of almost getting dumped outta my bow it just smoothly rolls into the power

Profile Email PM
Stickman
 July 17 2017 10:42PM  
Forum Senior Member

EXACTLY!!! Mine is of the wonky/bonkers variety... LOL! I am going to call and see what, if anything, can be done to try and correct it.

Report back to us what you find out please.

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 July 18 2017 06:47AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I too agree that some work fine and others are wacky. Fortunately for me, mine works just fine.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.14 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.19 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com