Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/23/2017 @ 11:42 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Update blue cat

|  Printable Version
kenhump
 July 15 2017 12:12PM (Read 5729 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

I remember a thread long ago, that blue car didn't just didn't exist in the Missouri River in the Iowa stretch. This is from the DNR fishing report this week.
"Missouri River (Sioux City to Little Sioux)
Flathead Catfish - Good: Use rod and reel and trotlines with live bait off the tips of wing dikes and rock structures. Evening or after dark is best. Blue Catfish - Good: Use fresh cut bait fished off the bottom in or near the current. Channel Catfish - Good: Use worms, chicken livers, cutb ait and dip baits near wing dams, brush piles and along the rock revetment. " DNR fishing report 13 July 2017.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 July 15 2017 10:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

Who said something crazy like that?

The first part, I mean. Blue cats run up the Big Sioux

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
dsmav8r
 July 16 2017 09:12AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

No kidding. I catch them just as frequently as Channels and Flatties out of the big Muddy. You can find them in any tributary until the first point of resistance in the interior rivers (Big Sioux, Little Sioux, Boyer and the Nish).

Let them live to fight another day. Practice Smallmouth CPR!

Profile Email PM
stick500
 July 18 2017 11:56AM  
Regular Contributor

how far do they run up the Mighty Miss?

I don't think we have them here in Dubuque, although they have some monster Blues on display at the River Museum

Profile Email PM
dsmav8r
 July 18 2017 01:40PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: stick500

I don't think we have them here in Dubuque, although they have some monster Blues on display at the River Museum

From my understanding, Blues are almost non-existent on the Mississippi in Iowa. Supposedly, the population really starts to drop off above St. Louis.

Let them live to fight another day. Practice Smallmouth CPR!

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 July 19 2017 02:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: dsmav8r

Quote by: stick500

From my understanding, Blues are almost non-existent on the Mississippi in Iowa. Supposedly, the population really starts to drop off above St. Louis.

They are definitely in Iowa on the Mississippi river. There was a catfish tourney in Canton, MO in June where the big fish was a 40# blue. Several others in the 10-25# range.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
moresnow
 July 21 2017 10:53AM  

Definitely Blues in a local trib to the Miss. near me. Watched one get cleaned last weekend.

Profile Email PM
#HawkNation
 July 21 2017 12:47PM  

Nonexistent - not quite. But they are obviously caught much less frequently. I have caught quite a few in Lee County out of the Mississippi, even a few out of the Skunk close to where it dumps in. Awesome fish though!

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 July 21 2017 02:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: %23HawkNation

Nonexistent - not quite. But they are obviously caught much less frequently. I have caught quite a few in Lee County out of the Mississippi, even a few out of the Skunk close to where it dumps in. Awesome fish though!

I have a challenge for you if you want to take me up on it. From now to the rest of the summer you have to fish in that pool above keokuk, hawknation. The next time you catch a blue out of that pool, from keokup upriver to Burlington, get it verified by D.N.R. and I will give you $100. If you fail by Oct 1, then you have to give me $10 (just to keep it an honest bet). If you contact anyone to get a fish verified in that time and it is a male channel cat, then you owe me $1,000.00. Sounds like an easy $100 for you. I would love to lose, I've got an extra bill.

Profile Email PM
#HawkNation
 July 21 2017 02:32PM  

Quote by: oldstylelight

Quote by: %23HawkNation

I have a challenge for you if you want to take me up on it. From now to the rest of the summer you have to fish in that pool above keokuk, hawknation. The next time you catch a blue out of that pool, from keokup upriver to Burlington, get it verified by D.N.R. and I will give you $100. If you fail by Oct 1, then you have to give me $10 (just to keep it an honest bet). If you contact anyone to get a fish verified in that time and it is a male channel cat, then you owe me $1,000.00. Sounds like an easy $100 for you. I would love to lose, I've got an extra bill.

I would love to take you up on that offer, however I moved to the Des Moines area in 2015 and don't get to fish back home much. I miss the fishing back home, up here just does not compare. Last summer I visited some friends and on my one and only day on the river I caught a blue (along with about 2 dozen channel cats). I plan to go back down sometime this August. I'm not much of a gambling man, but if I do catch another I will be sure to post it for you all to see I'm not full of s*** haha.

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 July 21 2017 05:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

I know what you mean oldstylelght. After spawn those channels can get as Blue as can be. But I'm not a betting man.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 July 22 2017 10:23PM  
Forum Senior Member

You know, I throw this bet out to anyone fishing above Keokuk this entire year. I wanna give someone $100. Or collect mine. Just add your name to the list right here....

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 July 23 2017 01:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

They are in pool 20 in good numbers. No reason to think they are not in 19. If I fished it anymore I'd take the bet just for giggles. When we ran lines at Montrose we would get one every now and then. Channels are more prevalent in pool 19, but in 20 I'd speculate there are just as many blues as flats based on tourney results.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 July 23 2017 09:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: medicdano

They are in pool 20 in good numbers. No reason to think they are not in 19. If I fished it anymore I'd take the bet just for giggles. When we ran lines at Montrose we would get one every now and then. Channels are more prevalent in pool 19, but in 20 I'd speculate there are just as many blues as flats based on tourney results.

I really don't think so. I will go even farther and offer $100 to even a commercial fisherman above Keokuk that catches a documented blue this summer. I am a man of my words.... someone take my money. It would be really cool to see.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 24 2017 01:29PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: oldstylelight

Quote by: medicdano

I really don't think so. I will go even farther and offer $100 to even a commercial fisherman above Keokuk that catches a documented blue this summer. I am a man of my words.... someone take my money. It would be really cool to see.

What'll ya give me if I haul one in at Muscatine? Usually I throw them all back but now that there's money on the line... Mr. Green

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Runngun675
 July 24 2017 01:41PM  
Regular Contributor

I was skeptical until I saw picture but my friend caught a blue in the Miss by Fort Madison area. I thought he was identifying it wrong but it definitely was a blue. Caught a few weeks ago wasn't big maybe 6-7lbs but they are in there

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 July 24 2017 01:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Speak up if you are in. Just remember you owe me $1,000 if your fish is mis-identified as a male channel. Gotta be honest. I am.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 July 24 2017 05:12PM  
Regular Contributor

I got no horse in this race, but to those of you interested, below is a link on how to tell the difference between a blue and channel cat, and color is not conclusive. You need a steady hand and probably a magnifying glass to count the rays in the bottom fin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+catfish+identification&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS752US752&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNlfnR96LVAhXmwFQKHVkoB9cQsAQIZg&biw=1280&bih=894

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
river
 July 24 2017 08:42PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CRIA1576

I got no horse in this race, but to those of you interested, below is a link on how to tell the difference between a blue and channel cat, and color is not conclusive. You need a steady hand and probably a magnifying glass to count the rays in the bottom fin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue+catfish+identification&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS752US752&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNlfnR96LVAhXmwFQKHVkoB9cQsAQIZg&biw=1280&bih=894

And the overall shape does provide a clue. Squared off or not. Have fun and catch a biggun..

River

You want to catch a fish, you gotta' think like a fish.

Profile Email Website PM
Oldbear
 July 24 2017 08:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

I think if da fish can swim he can go bout anywhere he wants in der waters.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.71 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com