Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 06:03 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Update blue cat

|  Printable Version
stick500
 July 31 2017 07:14AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It's the winters that are the limiting factor on the blues range. We are at the upper end, but that doesn't stop them from taking a summer vacation trip if they want.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 July 31 2017 11:08AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stick500

It's the winters that are the limiting factor on the blues range. We are at the upper end, but that doesn't stop them from taking a summer vacation trip if they want.

They travel quite a ways up the mighty mo as there is nothing to stop them. That is why you hear of huge fish being caught on Iowa's western border of sizes that blues get 20,30, 40 50, 60 plus lbs. Every time that someone on the Mississippi above Keokuk says they catch one, it is a small fish (because I am saying it is a male channel cat. )

The keokuk dam is not your typical roller dam where fish are clear to swim through at any time. The only way that a fish could get upriver from there is by locking up. Possible, sure, probable, no.

Still waiting to write a $100 check to the first person that wants it.

Profile Email PM
Hornhntr
 July 31 2017 12:34PM  

If I remember correctly from my college days in my fisheries class the only way to tell the difference for sure it to count the rays in the anal fin. I would have to get my book out though to remember the number that a blue cat and channel cat have. But you can't tell by color.

Profile Email PM
Dirt17
 July 31 2017 04:45PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: oldstylelight

They travel quite a ways up the mighty mo as there is nothing to stop them. That is why you hear of huge fish being caught on Iowa's western border of sizes that blues get 20,30, 40 50, 60 plus lbs. Every time that someone on the Mississippi above Keokuk says they catch one, it is a small fish (because I am saying it is a male channel cat. )

The keokuk dam is not your typical roller dam where fish are clear to swim through at any time. The only way that a fish could get upriver from there is by locking up. Possible, sure, probable, no.

Excactly^^^ I argue this EVERY YEAR around the quad cities that there are NO BLUE CATS up this far..... I just end up quit trying to educate em.... Sure there are Blue colored Channel cats but that's all they are... Male Channel cats usually Post spawn/Dog days of summer... Either way enjoy what your fishing for and I guess ignorance is bliss..... Big Grin

Profile Email PM
speng5
 July 31 2017 08:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

When I catch mine over at Muscatine I want cash. Mr. Green

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 July 31 2017 09:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

FWIW. The S.D. Record was just shy of 100#, and came out of the Big Sioux near Sioux City.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 August 01 2017 12:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

When I catch mine over at Muscatine I want cash. Mr. Green

No problem, but for you in pennies or ones.

Smile

Profile Email PM
Wallyman
 August 01 2017 01:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

This was a previous post about blue cats in Keokuk. Has a pic of one as well.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=580121

Profile Email PM
maxx
 August 01 2017 03:04PM  
Forum Senior Member

Is there any difference between a blue and a channel's meat? I know flatheads are typically a whiter flakier flesh.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Wallyman
 August 01 2017 03:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

Is there any difference between a blue and a channel's meat? I know flatheads are typically a whiter flakier flesh.

My buddy goes to Cape Girardeau, Mo. every year fishing for blues and flatheads. He leaves the blues behind for the locals and takes the flatheads. He said they taste like channel cat.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 September 21 2017 08:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: %23HawkNation

Nonexistent - not quite. But they are obviously caught much less frequently. I have caught quite a few in Lee County out of the Mississippi, even a few out of the Skunk close to where it dumps in. Awesome fish though!

I have a challenge for you if you want to take me up on it. From now to the rest of the summer you have to fish in that pool above keokuk, hawknation. The next time you catch a blue out of that pool, from keokup upriver to Burlington, get it verified by D.N.R. and I will give you $100. If you fail by Oct 1, then you have to give me $10 (just to keep it an honest bet). If you contact anyone to get a fish verified in that time and it is a male channel cat, then you owe me $1,000.00. Sounds like an easy $100 for you. I would love to lose, I've got an extra bill.

Let the records show that no one has taken $100 from me yet and they have had 2 months to do it of prime catfish time. The offer continues.

Profile Email PM
tomme boy
 September 22 2017 03:52PM  
Regular Contributor

I have talked to Jeremiah the fisheries biologist @ the Cordova nuke plant. He is one of the Illinois state biologist. We talked to great lengths about this. In the 45+years they have done netting samples they have NEVER seen a blue above Keokuk.

R.I.P. Bear. My best friend of 7 years. 5-22-2010

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 September 22 2017 04:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

Challenge is over. You said the rest of the summer. It turned to fall this afternoon.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
speng5
 September 22 2017 04:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

Challenge is over. You said the rest of the summer. It turned to fall this afternoon.

Dang. So when i catch one thru the ice on the backwaters it won't count??

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 September 22 2017 07:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

I can't tell him how to spend his money. He might say it's good forever, I don't know.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 06:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.73 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com