Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 04:11 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Saylorville Spillway-Wild West Days Continue

|  Printable Version
jereseib
 July 16 2017 09:41AM (Read 2380 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I had to revive a new version of this thread. Has anybody been out there lately? The wild west has returned indeed.

I wont even get into the garbage being left in the summer, thats a topic thats been beaten to death, but SNAGGING?Since I buy a license every year and read the regulations I know that snagging is illegal in that stretch of river.

What I witnessed tonight was appalling. Two guys upstream from me snagging everything from catfish to white bass, buffalo, and who knows how many carp. Loading their cooler up with every fish no matter the size or species. It was kind of easy to spot since nobody else was catching anything and they are reeling in a fish every cast. Yeah, it takes a lot of skill to launch a huge weight and 2 jigheads clear across the river and snap it across the bottom until you hit a nice 10lb catfish right in the stomach.

Absolutely sickening. Have you guys witnessed stuff like this going on? I have to admit Ive seen some sketchy stuff, but nothing like this that makes me want to call the DNR. Have any of you guys called them? Do they even care at this point? I always wonder why they dont put a full time office down there, the place is a free for all.

Profile Email PM
mbchilton
 July 16 2017 11:03AM  
Regular Contributor

My thoughts: you don't deserve to complain unless you do call the DNR. Sorry, I know that's a little harsh, but if it really upsets you, and it should, call.

Read my blog www.rodandrivet.com

Profile Email Website PM
jereseib
 July 16 2017 11:12AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: mbchilton

My thoughts: you don't deserve to complain unless you do call the DNR. Sorry, I know that's a little harsh, but if it really upsets you, and it should, call.

Well, thats why i asked. Im generally pretty tolerant of other fisherman but when I see something as blatantly obvious as that I wasnt sure what to do.

Profile Email PM
Aracpoe
 July 16 2017 11:20AM  

I always say something to people leaving trash around and doing anything like that, not to the point that I'm going to start something with them but can't just let it go. If you see people snagging or taking fish that aren't big enough to take, start filming them with your phone or something? I would defiantly call the DNR! Not trying to be a jerk but coming here is same as complaining about something on facebook...do something about it or nobody is going to change. Especially with all the cuts their about to have they need people to report to them. Don't assume they won't do anything about it. Its the same thing as watching somebody break into a house and not calling the police, they are stealing from people that do things the right/legal way. Again, your not the problem, but lets be apart of the solution!

Profile Email PM
WapelloMark
 July 16 2017 12:30PM  
Forum Moderator

It's all in the approach Cool

Owner and Operator of MockingBird FireArms Instruction NRA Certified in-home mobile and impromptu carry classes.

Profile Email PM
firepoggy
 July 17 2017 10:27AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

The spillway is under control of the Corps of Engineers. They have rangers on duty for nearly 20hrs a day during peak camping season. Someone is available 24hrs depending on the situation.

The non emergency number to the Polk County Sheriffs Office is 515-286-3333. They handle the dispatching of the rangers.

Profile Email PM
On.Iowa
 July 17 2017 11:42AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: firepoggy

The spillway is under control of the Corps of Engineers. They have rangers on duty for nearly 20hrs a day during peak camping season. Someone is available 24hrs depending on the situation.

The non emergency number to the Polk County Sheriffs Office is 515-286-3333. They handle the dispatching of the rangers.

The Corps of Engineers rangers are not peace officers and can't issue citations for fishing violations. All they can do is scare the offenders into leaving and/or call the DNR/Sheriff.

Profile Email PM
jereseib
 July 17 2017 02:55PM  
Regular Contributor

I'll just call the DNR next time I see something going on. I've got their hotline number on my phone now.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 July 17 2017 09:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: jereseib

I'll just call the DNR next time I see something going on. I've got their hotline number on my phone now.

NICE...Finally.

Profile Email PM
kithkat
 July 18 2017 12:37PM  
Forum Senior Member

You're not allowed to snag at all below saylorville.

Profile Email Website PM
IAtaxidermist
 July 18 2017 06:25PM  
Forum Senior Member

edit nevermind

www.artofthewildtaxidermy.com and for more current work like my page at https://www.facebook.com/ArtOfTheWildTaxidermy/

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.00 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:11 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.04 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com