Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
08/23/2017 @ 06:20 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 fishing trip ideas

|  Printable Version
crappiemandan
 August 04 2017 07:50AM (Read 2310 times)  

In November of this year, I will be able to get an extra weeks worth of vacation at my work. I already have 2 weeks of vacation. With having a 3rd week of vacation, I'm considering using a week for a fishing trip next summer. My thoughts are fishing in either Minnesota or Wiscosin. Does any one have any suggestions on what lakes to fish in either state?
I plan to mainly fish for panfish and walleye. If I can talk a buddy into going with me, I know he likes to fish for bass.
This is the first out of state fishing trip I'm trying to plan, so any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Remember, I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together!

Profile Email PM
gellar
 August 04 2017 12:21PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I think the first thing to a successfull group trip is to make sure everyone is on the same page as to what the trip will entail. How far is each person willing to sit in a car, what kind of accomodations does each person want (camping, cabin, meals cooked for you, boat rental, guide service, etc.), what species everyone wants to fish for and the style of fishing they like to do for that species, do you want other activities like golf or a mall. After your group decides what kind of trip they are looking for you can begin to narrow it down to regions, lakes, lodges, campgrounds, etc. Sorry for not posting any actual recommendations!

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 August 04 2017 12:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

redwing. pool 4. get a guide for a day. fish the rest of the week by yourselves.

Profile Email PM
JustinC
 August 05 2017 12:03PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

100's of good lakes for what you are after...this was my first thought - beautiful area too: http://cabinopines.com/fishing-guide-report

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 06 2017 11:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

I would head south in November. Table Rock and Tanneycomo would have a lot of appeal and variety of species.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 August 06 2017 07:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

TROUT at Tanneycomo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile Email PM
Will999
 August 07 2017 04:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: mskursh

redwing. pool 4. get a guide for a day. fish the rest of the week by yourselves.

Funny I was in redwing when I read this post. (live in Des moines) That is a really cool area and I caught 2 really nice walleye in the little time I had to fish. (and a TON of drums)

Hmm November, I agree with going south! Smile

Profile Email PM
rich_fisher69
 August 07 2017 05:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

You can never go wrong with Northeast South Dakota! Any time of year, make base camp in Webster and Doug at the bait shop will put you on the fish!!

Born on a mountain raised in a cave huntin and fishin is all that I crave!

Profile Email PM
Big Zamer
 August 08 2017 11:09AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

He mentioned going in the summer. Local lakes can be very good. Red Rock crappies have been amazing the last couple of years with many in the 15-16" range. Saylorville whites/wipers are a blast. Big Creek has been better this year for keeper walleye.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 August 08 2017 03:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

Do you mind a drive? Going solo? With the guys or with the ol lady and/or kids?

Lots of variables but just for a fishing trip I would mention NW MN, from Detroit Lakes on north.

The Lakes themselves can be okay fishing but do get a lot of pressure. But some in the area are reallly some hidden gems. Further north you can fish Strawberry, Buffalo Lake, White Earth, to name a few and for being halfway close to DL they don't get nearly the pressure. North east a ways gets you to the Tamarack Park and while I don't know if it's fishable now, it used to be when I was younger and it was some DYNAMITE crappie fishing and some of the most overlooked water in the region. If you're interested PM me and I could probably spit out a few more places/ideas.

DL is an awesome town to spend time in in the summer if the fish aren't cooperating plus it's halfway close to a lot of the spots I listed. If you've got family or kids coming with it would be a winner for sure.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 August 10 2017 08:23AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: crappiemandan

In November of this year, I will be able to get an extra weeks worth of vacation at my work. I already have 2 weeks of vacation. With having a 3rd week of vacation, I'm considering using a week for a fishing trip next summer. My thoughts are fishing in either Minnesota or Wiscosin. Does any one have any suggestions on what lakes to fish in either state?
I plan to mainly fish for panfish and walleye. If I can talk a buddy into going with me, I know he likes to fish for bass.
This is the first out of state fishing trip I'm trying to plan, so any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Panfish and walleye. How can you not want to fish lake winnebago? One of the best numbers fisheries in the nation. they have tank perch, big gills and crappies. If your vacation is in June, that's the best walleye fishing, gills are spawning, crappies are post spawn and all over the shorelines. If it's too windy, within 15 minutes you can fish Winneconne, Poygan, or Butte des morts or the whole river system. I live on the Winnebago chain, I have no reason to leave and fish anywhere else year round. If you are looking for a WI lake that is big and diverse, Lake Winnebago chain is your lake. Sure it can be humbling and nasty, but there are always places to get out of wind and still catch fish.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 August 10 2017 08:25AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Panfish and walleye. How can you not want to fish lake winnebago? One of the best numbers fisheries in the nation. they have tank perch, big gills and crappies. If your vacation is in June, that's the best walleye fishing, gills are spawning, crappies are post spawn and all over the shorelines. If it's too windy, within 15 minutes you can fish Winneconne, Poygan, or Butte des morts or the whole river system. I live on the Winnebago chain, I have no reason to leave and fish anywhere else year round. If you are looking for a WI lake that is big and diverse, Lake Winnebago chain is your lake. Sure it can be humbling and nasty, but there are always places to get out of wind and still catch fish.

If you wanted a guide, there are some PHENOMENAL guys that catch fish, lot's of em.

ALso, if you had a week off and you came up here. you have Green Bay which is 30 minutes north. Some of the best Trophy walleye fishing in the nation.

Profile Email PM
DILLIGAF
 August 10 2017 06:58PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I've got two different ideas for you... Check out Camp Ripley, MN and Ft. McCoy, WI. They are their states' respective headquarters for the National Guard. I know both have lots of areas open to the public for hunting and fishing. I'm currently at Camp Ripley. Your fishing options include several smaller lakes on post, Mille Lacs and hour north, Lake Alexander and Fish Trap Lake just west of post, East Gull Lake just north of here, and the Mississippi River. On post lakes have sunfish, walleye, largemouth, and smallmouth (verified within the last 10 days). The Mississippi along the eastern edge of the post holds lots of smallies, a few sunfish, and some walleye. There are a few small hydroelectric dams up here and below them the locals say they hammer walleye, catfish, and carp.

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it becomes difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 August 10 2017 09:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

If you wanted a guide, there are some PHENOMENAL guys that catch fish, lot's of em.

ALso, if you had a week off and you came up here. you have Green Bay which is 30 minutes north. Some of the best Trophy walleye fishing in the nation.

The brother to the author of "Life at Full Draw" is an excellent guide in this area!!!!!

Profile Email PM
BigOrangeFeet
 August 10 2017 10:12PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

mentioned earlier, Webster, SD. multiple lakes with a variety of fish, and generally great fishing. 20 lakes within 20 miles. we go up every year in June and have great success. And a cheap trip. check out these links:

https://www.facebook.com/4seasonslodge/
http://www.sdglaciallakes.com/fishing-reports
http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/default.aspx

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 August 11 2017 07:16AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: twdenney

The brother to the author of "Life at Full Draw" is an excellent guide in this area!!!!!

I didn't know the book even existed...but I googled it, yes, I know of his brother...or should say heard and seen the name of his guide service.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 August 11 2017 09:51PM  
Forum Senior Member

Most fair weather adolescent hunters, fishers, outdoorsmen/women do not know of existence of books, knowledge,history or information like this exists including yourself once you realize this you can learn from other people you will become a better outdoorsmen!!!!!! Other than that put on a 3 oz egg sinker on mainline tie on a swivel, 16 inches of Trilene Big Gane and then put on a huge treble hook with a gob of nightcrawlers and go fish! I'll bet you more than half of the best "BAD ASS" bow hunters have never read or have no clue about Chuck Adams and his story.

Profile Email PM
rdwmpb
 August 12 2017 12:33AM  

Devils Lake North Dakota.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.26 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 06:20 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.32 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com