Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/18/2017 @ 03:17 PM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Gardening New Topic Post Reply
 How your garden doing??

|  Printable Version
walleye jim
 August 06 2017 09:03AM (Read 4100 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Well mine is quite a bit behind from last year.. gro-lite seeds didnt germinate well, wet april..etc.. but have been eating green beans for a couple weeks picked 8 cherry tomatoes this week and 5 regular ones.. pulled some carrots, one eggplant. few peppers.. but have lots left over from last years big bounty.. maybe a cabbage next week.. weeds are growing everywhere, i usually cover the ground with grass clippings.. havent mowed the yard in a month.. not enuf rain.. so how is yours??

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 06 2017 11:39AM  
Forum Senior Member

Slow. But doing good. I think the weather slowed things down a lot this year. I hardly have any weeds. Mulched the beds early. Now I think it has been too hot and dry to germinate many weed seeds

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 August 06 2017 12:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Tomatoes are slow for everyone I know. Jalapenos are coming fast. Cucumbers are going wild. All my neighbors are tired of them I think. Gave 3 dozen to one to make dill pickles. We have been wetter than the rest of the state I think. 82 degrees looks like the warmest day in the next 15 days. My cucumbers still have tons of flowers and small ones. Only problem the leaves are so big and green, it makes them easy to miss.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 06 2017 12:42PM  
Forum Senior Member

ToddlerAsgrow was helping me in the garden a few weeks ago and pulled up some "weeds" which were my cucumbers. So needless to say, mine are waaaay behind!

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
GJW
 August 06 2017 05:44PM  
Regular Contributor

Does anyone freeze their jalepenos for future use?

Profile Email PM
speng5
 August 06 2017 07:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stevenoak

Tomatoes are slow for everyone I know. Jalapenos are coming fast. Cucumbers are going wild. All my neighbors are tired of them I think. Gave 3 dozen to one to make dill pickles. We have been wetter than the rest of the state I think. 82 degrees looks like the warmest day in the next 15 days. My cucumbers still have tons of flowers and small ones. Only problem the leaves are so big and green, it makes them easy to miss.

My cucumbers are going nuts as well. About the only.other thing doing as well as they are would be kohlrabi and brussel sprouts. My tomatoes are slow also.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 August 06 2017 07:50PM  
Forum Senior Member

Beans, lettuce, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, radishes, beets, carrots, garlic, etc all SHIT... to dry. watering tomatoes, cucumbers, one zucchini. Sweet corn good except for what coons got! Absolutely no fall garden whatsoever.

Profile Email PM
White81
 August 07 2017 09:45AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Tomato's doing fantastic! Plants are about 7 feet tall with lots of tomato's which should start turning red this week! Cucumbers took off great, but then we hit that hot dry spell and for some reason the cucumber plants died off. Jalapeno's also doing great, have lots of those that are just about ready to pick and the green peppers doing very well.

Did get enough cucumbers to make about 18 jars of dill pickles. Had they kept going at the rate they were going early on, I would have about 50 jars of pickles by now!

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 August 07 2017 10:33AM  
Regular Contributor

First garden for my wife and I this year. We planted WAAAAY too many zuchini plants (21!) and they were absolutely out of control. She shredded and vacuum sealed about 15 bags and gave away as much as we could to friends/family. She pulled all but 3 of them a couple weeks ago and now they are producing at a manageable pace. The good news is that she was able to experiment with several zuchini recipes and found several that are delicious- bread, bread with blueberries, pancakes, fried patties, and casserole are our favorites.

Spring radishes were excellent and we're looking to plant some fall stock if it isn't too late.

Our cucumbers got shaded out by the zuchinis and are struggling.

Green beans have been very consistent, and we need to plant more of these next year.

Tomatoes are really coming on now, and she canned the first batch of salsa yesterday. We had to buy hot peppers and onions cause the jalapeno plants got half eaten and were just really slow in general even before something "trimmed" them. Her cilantro is out of control...

Bell peppers are going absolutely crazy.

Watermelon plants are taking over the whole garden and we have 3 or 4 nice ones on the vine.

Broccoli, carrots, onions, cabbage were all fails.

Yukon golds produced pretty well with about half dozen nice potatoes per plant.

Sweet corn was meh with a few nice ears so far and a lot that had poor germination. Need to water the plot during silking next year to improve output.

The spot I chose for our garden plot was where I burned a ton of brush and trees over the years. I roto-tilled it with my tractor any my wife has watered it most days other than the very few when we got a shot of rain. We never had a ton of weeds, but we pulled a few every day and that kept any major flushes under control. Im thinking the ash from burning increased the ph and we may add some compost or fertilizer next year.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 07 2017 11:45AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: GJW

Yes. Easy, wash and bag. Then use for chilli or summer sausage

Profile Email PM
bugs11
 August 07 2017 04:06PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quick status report on my gardens.
Tomatoes – fantastic, plants are yuuuge, lots of perfect fruits.
Potatoes – decent, had to two separate infestations of Colorado Potato Beetles. Treated by picking them off and spraying with Spinosad.
Cabbage – good, heads are starting to split.
Onions – disappointing, none got much bigger than a tennis ball.
Snap Bean – very good so far, had an initial attack of Mexican Bean Beetle.
Bell peppers – very good, really starting to come on.
Serrano pepper – very good, lots of peppers
Jalapeno peppers - very good, lots of peppers
Pepperoncini peppers - very good, lots of peppers (what does one do with these?)
Okra – looks good, my first time growing this vegetable.
Summer Squash – very good
Acorn Squash – ???, growing in a very weedy spot, haven’t given them much attention.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 07 2017 04:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

My cabbages are still alive...they struggled with the heat and the variety I planted probably had something to do with it. They are finally putting on heads.
I have started my second rounds off lettuce, carrots,beets, spinach, cukes and just put in some more cabbage. Might be pushing it on some stuff but it doesn't take long to germinate this time of year!

Profile Email PM
bandhunter
 August 07 2017 09:32PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: CRIA1576

First garden for my wife and I this year. We planted WAAAAY too many zuchini plants (21!) and they were absolutely out of control. She shredded and vacuum sealed about 15 bags and gave away as much as we could to friends/family. She pulled all but 3 of them a couple weeks ago and now they are producing at a manageable pace. The good news is that she was able to experiment with several zuchini recipes and found several that are delicious- bread, bread with blueberries, pancakes, fried patties, and casserole are our favorites.

Spring radishes were excellent and we're looking to plant some fall stock if it isn't too late.

Our cucumbers got shaded out by the zuchinis and are struggling.

Green beans have been very consistent, and we need to plant more of these next year.

Tomatoes are really coming on now, and she canned the first batch of salsa yesterday. We had to buy hot peppers and onions cause the jalapeno plants got half eaten and were just really slow in general even before something "trimmed" them. Her cilantro is out of control...

Bell peppers are going absolutely crazy.

Watermelon plants are taking over the whole garden and we have 3 or 4 nice ones on the vine.

Broccoli, carrots, onions, cabbage were all fails.

Yukon golds produced pretty well with about half dozen nice potatoes per plant.

Sweet corn was meh with a few nice ears so far and a lot that had poor germination. Need to water the plot during silking next year to improve output.

The spot I chose for our garden plot was where I burned a ton of brush and trees over the years. I roto-tilled it with my tractor any my wife has watered it most days other than the very few when we got a shot of rain. We never had a ton of weeds, but we pulled a few every day and that kept any major flushes under control. Im thinking the ash from burning increased the ph and we may add some compost or fertilizer next year.

It only takes one year for everyone to realize that less is more when it comes to zucchini plants lol. I would guess that we've all been there where we had zucchini coming out of our ears.

JUST BEING GREAT

Profile Email PM
Larry Richard
 August 07 2017 09:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

just started 15 gal of sauerkraut tonight. dry equals poor corn germination and hot equals poor ear filling, but we've managed to eat a bunch and freeze a little. best tomatoes inyears, but we had to irrigate them. doing better than my food plots doc

How come there is never time enough to do things right when there is always time to do it over again? doc

Profile Email PM
Drop_Tine5214
 August 08 2017 08:00AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: GJW

Yes, I first cut them in half and scoop most of the seeds out. Then I spread them out on a baking sheet and partially freeze them until they are firm. Then I vacuum seal them later for chili or jalapeno poppers during football season. Smile

Profile Email PM
GJW
 August 08 2017 08:42PM  
Regular Contributor

Thanks

Profile Email PM
bugs11
 August 09 2017 10:20AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Checked the big garden in the country; I have two, a big garden at a friend’s farm and a small one in my backyard in town. Tomatoes still producing oodles of near perfect fruits. Picked a couple cabbages, some nice beans and peppers too. Ground is dry, headed towards real dry, could see cracks forming in the ground. I watered the peppers. No bugs on the potato plants, I can highly recommend Spinosad for treating Colorado Potato Beetles. The potatoes are winding down though and if it stays dry as the forecast predicts I imagine I’ll be digging spuds in a couple weeks. Did find a dozen or so Japanese Beetles on the okra plants, I promptly dispatched them.

Profile Email PM
DILLIGAF
 August 09 2017 05:38PM  
Regular Contributor

All I planted was horseradish and it's doing well!

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it becomes difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 10 2017 08:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: DILLIGAF

I planted some last year. This year it is back twice as thick!

Profile Email PM
sensquid
 August 10 2017 08:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: DILLIGAF

I planted some last year. This year it is back twice as thick!

Get use to it, I planted it one year and ten years later it was still going strong. I finally got rid of it by digging up the roots for several years. Only used it a couple of times.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.37 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.40 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com