Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
02/18/2018 @ 12:45 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Gardening New Topic Post Reply
 How your garden doing??

|  Printable Version
TeamAsgrow
 August 10 2017 06:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: sensquid

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: DILLIGAF

All I planted was horseradish and it's doing well!

I planted some last year. This year it is back twice as thick!

Get use to it, I planted it one year and ten years later it was still going strong. I finally got rid of it by digging up the roots for several years. Only used it a couple of times.

Yeah. That is why I put it next to the garage. If I need to I can keep it mowed or sprayed.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
DILLIGAF
 August 10 2017 06:36PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: sensquid

Quote by: DILLIGAF

All I planted was horseradish and it's doing well!

I planted some last year. This year it is back twice as thick!

Get use to it, I planted it one year and ten years later it was still going strong. I finally got rid of it by digging up the roots for several years. Only used it a couple of times.

Yeah. That is why I put it next to the garage. If I need to I can keep it mowed or sprayed.

And that's why mine is along a fence.

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it becomes difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Profile Email PM
bluedirt
 August 15 2017 03:21PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Was gone for 9 days & vine plants seemed to have exploded in growth. Cherry tomatoes & ground cherries ready, cucs doing well, dug onions as they were done, potato plants died & ready to dig. Egg plants seem small. Broccoli & radish was a bust for whatever reason. We have been fortunate to catch 1 1/2" rain last 10 days. BTW- apples look ok, picked couple Honeycrisp already. Good Harrelson crop also.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 15 2017 04:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have been making hot sauce and roasting a lot of Anaheim peppers for the winter too

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
vettefanatic
 August 16 2017 08:20PM  
Regular Contributor

Great broccoli year... freezing more than I ever have. Canned a bunch of tomatoes so far & 10 gallon of sauerkraut going. Have mole and pocket gophers that go under my peppers and potatoes. Tried ultrasonic stake, reppellant, and smoke bombs. Next step is to bury plastic 3 feet deep around my 20 by 40 garden. 😲

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40 If it shouldn't move and does, use Duct Tape

Profile Email PM
Madison COunty
 August 16 2017 08:50PM  
Regular Contributor

Tomatoes are doing great, have 6 plants that are loaded with them. Serrano pepper plants (2) are producing nicely. Not sure what to do with them, it's my first year growing them. Jalapeño plants are struggling a bit.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 16 2017 09:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Madison+COunty

Tomatoes are doing great, have 6 plants that are loaded with them. Serrano pepper plants (2) are producing nicely. Not sure what to do with them, it's my first year growing them. Jalapeño plants are struggling a bit.

Serrano's ferment nicely for hot sauce or just pickled peppers.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 August 17 2017 08:22PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

No matter how much zuchini you plant, you will get half what you want or 3 times what you can possibly use. Rolling Eyes

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 August 18 2017 09:33AM  
Regular Contributor

We got tired of the yellow summer squash and pulled the vines out last weekend, too many to eat. We have been almost keeping up with the zucchini. Butternut squash is going gang buster but a little early for harvest yet. Cukes are winding down, which we've had our fill.

Peppers look fantastic, best (and earliest) we've been able grow. We bought bags of small "Yum Yum" mini-bell sweet peppers in the store, they come in a variety of colors. We took some seeds out of a couple of them, got 100% germination, the plants are loaded. Huge Hatch peppers, poblanos look great, jalapenos are loaded.

We freeze some jalapenos, while others I'll split in half to semi-dry in the smoker to make Chipotles.

Froze three gallons of tomatoes yesterday, blanched, skinned, cooked them down Wednesday. And the tomatoes are just starting to come on. Huge Oxhearts, beefsteaks, Roma and San Marzanos looking good.

Plan to dig potatoes this weekend. Had a bag of store bought Russets that were going bad so cut them up and planted two rows. Dug a hill earlier and there were some decent sized ones, along with a bunch of new potatoes.

We've cooked a couple messes of green beans, froze a gallon ziplock full also. The deer didn't get them all, like they did the beets. Deer completely wiped out the row of beets.

Early apple varieties are coming on. One peach tree is done, another should be ready soon.

We've had lots of very timely rains, no need to consider watering.

Some of the garden was mulched with plastic, fighting purslane in the rest of it. Japanese beetles are bad, even eating the marigolds and on the basil. Seemed like worse than normal for tomato hornworms.

Profile Email PM
Dr Ruff
 August 18 2017 06:10PM  
Regular Contributor

very pleased with crops, a little blight on the squash though.
I've got 2 extra rows of carrots that need a hungry home, fyi. north Marion

Profile Email PM
Madison COunty
 August 18 2017 08:42PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Madison+COunty

Tomatoes are doing great, have 6 plants that are loaded with them. Serrano pepper plants (2) are producing nicely. Not sure what to do with them, it's my first year growing them. Jalape�±o plants are struggling a bit.

Serrano's ferment nicely for hot sauce or just pickled peppers.

I'll have to try pickling them. I'm limited on time and that sounds tasty. I'll look online for recipes tonight. Might have to can tomatoes Sunday, I just picked 38 today.

Profile Email PM
George Tim
 September 13 2017 05:20AM  

Doing well so far. Lots of vegetables and flowers are there. Looks so nice.

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 September 13 2017 07:41PM  
Regular Contributor

Growing weary of the garden. Still need to dig potatoes. Tomatoes and green beans are cranking, but we have lost motivation to pick/can/freeze. Should rip out the plants. Pepper plants are loaded, lots of varieties. Cleaned up the cider press last weekend and have 12 gallons on hand, froze some for later. Tons of apples on the trees, might slice some up, sugar and spice them for pie filling and freeze them. Mosquitoes are terrible lately, also killing the urge to work outside.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 September 14 2017 09:48AM  
Forum Senior Member

My garden is really slowing down. I ripped out the summer squash. Ripped out the roma plants. Green beans still slowly kicking along with peppers. Eggplant is doing great. I love my herbs this season but I feel compelled to cook elaborate Italian sauces taking up an entire evening for spaghetti. Ripped out most of my tomatillas as they are really not producing now. My last thing on the harvest calendar for me is brussel sprouts. They are doing ok and I will wait for a frost or two before harvesting that.

I will probably dry some oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary in the food dehydrator. Does anyone have tips on drying herbs?

Profile Email PM
White81
 September 14 2017 09:58AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Tomato's still doing great! I have probably picked over 100 tomato's off of 6 plants this year and they are still coming, plants are over 7 feet tall. Picked 30 just yesterday. Green Peppers seem to have caught their 2nd wind, they didn't do much over the summer during the heat, but ever since things have cooled off I have many green peppers. Jalapeno's still doing great also. Still not sure what killed off my cucumbers in mid-July, but thinking it must have been the heat or something. Have canned several jar's of dill pickles, pepper jelly, tomato's and salsa!

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 September 14 2017 10:07AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: oldstylelight

My garden is really slowing down. I ripped out the summer squash. Ripped out the roma plants. Green beans still slowly kicking along with peppers. Eggplant is doing great. I love my herbs this season but I feel compelled to cook elaborate Italian sauces taking up an entire evening for spaghetti. Ripped out most of my tomatillas as they are really not producing now. My last thing on the harvest calendar for me is brussel sprouts. They are doing ok and I will wait for a frost or two before harvesting that.

I will probably dry some oregano, parsley, thyme and rosemary in the food dehydrator. Does anyone have tips on drying herbs?

I pack my dehydrator trays full of herbs, let it go until they are brittle and crackly. Then I process them with a wire strainer, and crush it through there into a bowl then put in an air tight container.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 September 14 2017 10:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

I am going to rip out my tomatoes this week, probably clean up a few other areas. My fall garden is doing good, Lettuce and carrots are going great.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 September 14 2017 10:59AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: vettefanatic

Great broccoli year... freezing more than I ever have. Canned a bunch of tomatoes so far & 10 gallon of sauerkraut going. Have mole and pocket gophers that go under my peppers and potatoes. Tried ultrasonic stake, reppellant, and smoke bombs. Next step is to bury plastic 3 feet deep around my 20 by 40 garden. �

Could be you need to treat for grubs. They draw moles like magnets. Pocket gophers are more likely dining on roots.
Squirrelscan raise he'll with pepper plants for some reason. Had big problems in the cits with them.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
8gage
 September 14 2017 12:45PM  

Done for the year

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 September 20 2017 08:40AM  
Regular Contributor

Finally dug potatoes last Sunday, sorted them out between bakers, general use and new potatoes, with these being some of the bakers. Had maybe 75 lbs from a planting half a 3 lb bag of store bought Russets that went bad in the garage.

Tomatoes winding down, diminishing in quality.

Lots of peppers to work with yet.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 2.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:45 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 2.14 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com