Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 10:16 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Common Carp Fishing in the Fall

|  Printable Version
TedBugle
 August 06 2017 03:41PM (Read 1260 times)  

Big commons are available more so in the fall than during the dog days of summer, with hunting ..football, and school all competing for peoples time, Fall has less pressure and the fish are not as jittery. water temps in the 50's cause carp to put on the feed bag, fall rains wash food items into the water...grain crops, plant seeds, nut crops... even fruits and their seeds....this is a good time to bait up a spot without prying eyes intent on shooting out your swim...stealth is important...keep your spot private or risk it no longer being a viable spot

Boiled corn chops with a hand full of crushed red pepper seeds/flakes will bring them...... in in a turkey fryer sized pot fill 1/3 with corn chops (about 12 bucks at the feed store)...top with well water or distilled water (yes it matters) till pot is 3/4 ths full,..... toss in a hand full of red pepper, and a like amount of kosher salt,...bring to a boil, then once boiling.... boil about 20-30 minutes, it will swell and get sift and make a gluey mass....stir it it to keep it from sticking to the bottom...turn it off and let it set over night..it will absorb all the water.

measure out some into a 5 gal bucket and add oatmeal using your hand mix it well..don't touch your eyes (remember the pepper?)...make up balls about lemon to golf ball sizes
use up all your chum till its all preped.....you can bait up using a pult or baiting spoon, a trick it to bait in a 1st 2nd and 3rd baseball type pattern, you can toss a few boilies in as well because that will be your hook baits later...if you do this every 3 days about 5 gal bucket full of chum balls, you should see some crashing fish or bubbles from feeding, even some slick activity...plan on a night fishing session, set up just before dark, and chum as before but way less about 3 balls per base, on the day of fishing I like adding hemp to the corn chops, I also prep some dry feed corn for hook baits and lace the enhanced chum balls with a few of the peppered field corn..I soak the boilies in a small ziplock with hemp water, and set aside some of the corn hook baits....

doing this you will have the best chance of landing the biggest carp of the swim!

Good luck
Cheers!
Ted

Profile Email PM
Carpit
 August 08 2017 05:28PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Ted-

Great post. Good information. I've been waiting for someone else to emerge on this site that has an interest in European carp fishing techniques. There seems to be a lack of adaption to those types of techniques here in the United States. While I have Carp fished most of my life it hasn't been in until recently that I have really discovered some of the interesting European carp fishing techniques.

It has been amazing alone over the past few years how many more hooks sets I have had not only for carp but for catfish using a hair rig and a size 6 or eight short shank hook.

I am also very interested and have been pursuing grass carp fishing pretty heavily over the past three years and I'm in the process of refining some techniques specifically for grass carp fishing that others might find interesting at some point.

It would be great if one of the moderators of this website would start a specific carp fishing forum that those of interest to the topic could directly post to. If anyone that is a moderator happens to be reading this post go for it will use the forum if you put it out there.

Kiss My Bass

Profile Email PM
stick500
 August 09 2017 04:52PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I second the idea of a Carp forum here.

Maybe we could call it the Roughfish Forum so we could discuss sheepshead, dogfish, suckers, etc., too.

I think there's a lot more people into roughfishing than most realize.

I am!

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 10 2017 06:16PM  
Forum Senior Member

Can I be the mod of the new forum? Mr. Green

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
speng5
 August 10 2017 08:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stick500

I second the idea of a Carp forum here.

Maybe we could call it the Roughfish Forum so we could discuss sheepshead, dogfish, suckers, etc., too.

I think there's a lot more people into roughfishing than most realize.

I am!

I'm not a big carp guy but I'd check out a Rough Fish subforum. I like fishing for gar sometimes (when everything's slow there's always a lot around) and fishing for bowfin can be a blast.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
TedBugle
 August 11 2017 01:17AM  

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Can I be the mod of the new forum? Mr. Green

His way of stalking new places to shoot up all the big carp/Buffs/gar......pretty sure we can warn them about specifics

Profile Email PM
TedBugle
 August 11 2017 06:26AM  

in a nutt shell...fishing for carp is fun...lots of us toss them back because its more fun to catch a 20#..than a 6#, lots of time we can catch that same fish more than once..so C&R works

Profile Email PM
Carpit
 August 11 2017 06:40AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

So how about it site decision makers? Any possibility of generating a. Ew forum?

I find it interesting if there would be a lack of interest to proliferate discussion on a legitimate outdoor topic - yet boundless energy spent on "Lost Post" or endless dribble about Mountain Lions in Iowa!

Kiss My Bass

Profile Email PM
56bert
 August 11 2017 09:12AM  

my buddy & I regularly fish for common carp. This is the perfect time to fish for them in small rivers, water levels are low which concentrates them & food supply is minimal. We use a slip sinker rig using a #4 wide gap hook. Another choice is a 1/8 oz. bare jig that has a large hook. Load them with sweet corn. We use hi-viz line so we can see it twitch, cast basically down stream & prop your rod on forked stick setting the rod tip real high, leave the line slack. Don't wait till the rod tip moves, too late--- the larger fish will drop it. Up here in nw Iowa we usually catch 5 to8 lb. fish on occasion 12 to 15 lb. Location --- firm bottom not mud , start at the head of a pool work your way downstream. Why fish carp? Its a good way to tune up your fighting/landing skills on sizeable fish besides its just plain fun. Tight lines. Bert

Profile Email PM
TedBugle
 August 26 2017 11:31PM  

Quote by: 56bert

my buddy & I regularly fish for common carp. This is the perfect time to fish for them in small rivers, water levels are low which concentrates them & food supply is minimal. We use a slip sinker rig using a #4 wide gap hook. Another choice is a 1/8 oz. bare jig that has a large hook. Load them with sweet corn. We use hi-viz line so we can see it twitch, cast basically down stream & prop your rod on forked stick setting the rod tip real high, leave the line slack. Don't wait till the rod tip moves, too late--- the larger fish will drop it. Up here in nw Iowa we usually catch 5 to8 lb. fish on occasion 12 to 15 lb. Location --- firm bottom not mud , start at the head of a pool work your way downstream. Why fish carp? Its a good way to tune up your fighting/landing skills on sizeable fish besides its just plain fun. Tight lines. Bert

Fun is fun right? Cool

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.48 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:16 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.53 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com