Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 10:10 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Scary ordeal.

|  Printable Version
zondy
 August 09 2017 07:58PM (Read 2818 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Profile Email PM
jereseib
 August 10 2017 09:44AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

There arent any walleyes closer than 15 miles from where they launched? I never understand going 15 miles in 3-4 foot waves to catch some fish that are probably available within yards of the boat ramp, but to each their own.

Profile Email PM
nwhawk
 August 10 2017 10:46AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: jereseib

There arent any walleyes closer than 15 miles from where they launched? I never understand going 15 miles in 3-4 foot waves to catch some fish that are probably available within yards of the boat ramp, but to each their own.

3-4 ft waves are no big deal normally. But in a crappy 19 whatever year boat that is probably 15-16 ft long on Lake of the Woods for gosh sakes is stupidity.

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 August 10 2017 10:56AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: nwhawk

3-4 ft waves are no big deal normally. But in a crappy 19 whatever year boat that is probably 15-16 ft long on Lake of the Woods for gosh sakes is stupidity.

Why do you assume the boat was crappy? Except for a plugged bilge pump, no where did the article mention any issues with a crappy boat. A vintage rig is not unsafe just because it is an older rig.

Profile Email PM
nwhawk
 August 10 2017 11:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: SR+Dave

Why do you assume the boat was crappy? Except for a plugged bilge pump, no where did the article mention any issues with a crappy boat. A vintage rig is not unsafe just because it is an older rig.

You have a point. I made an assumption. How many boats that old do you see on "most" bodies of water are in great shape??? Very few! I should have mentioned the lack of common sense used given the situation and equipment.

Profile Email PM
jereseib
 August 10 2017 01:49PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

When I first got my 16 foot bass boat I couldnt wait to try it out so I decided to take it to Saylorville. I dont know how big the waves were but it was at least 20mph winds. I got out about 20 yards, turned around and headed back to the boat ramp. Never again!!

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 August 10 2017 09:23PM  
Forum Senior Member

Gotta really respect wind and water when boating. My dad and I spent the night on a rock up in the Boundary Waters one time because we were 'wind bound" with a canoe. We always carried a backpack with a survival kit in it for such instances when we were up there. Some of those lakes make some decent 3-4 footers when the wind whoops up, and they are a fraction of the size of Lake of the Woods.

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 August 10 2017 11:10PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

When in doubt, don't. Over the years I have put boats on the beach twice. I am puzzled a little as to why they were taking water that bad. Those are solid old boats. With enclosed bow and windscreen I believe. In that situation I would have looked for a place to beach, but for sure stayed directly into the wind. Glad they made it out.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
rdwmpb
 August 12 2017 12:48AM  

You do it multiple times just fine, but that one time my bite you in the behind. You never know. At least they knew how to survive. Good for them.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.60 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.65 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com