Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/22/2017 @ 04:00 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Firearms New Topic Post Reply
 Long range Scope

|  Printable Version
dogdown
 August 12 2017 11:24AM (Read 845 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR10 platform, now I need a good long range scope. Any suggestions.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 August 13 2017 04:08AM  
Forum Senior Member

Budget?

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
dogdown
 August 13 2017 06:31AM  
Forum Senior Member

Whatever the wife won't find out about. Big Grin Probably $1500 > $2k. Any Huskemaw scope users, their 5>20 looks promising.

Profile Email PM
huntn4ringnecks
 August 13 2017 09:49AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I've always liked Burris. The XTR II or Veracity lines are very well built and can be bought for $1000-$1500. FFP. 5x magnification. Can get the target turrets and moa or mil reticles.

Profile Email PM
ECFirearms
 August 14 2017 10:00AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: dogdown

Purchased a 6.5 Creedmoor in an AR10 platform, now I need a good long range scope. Any suggestions.

what distances you looking to shoot at with that rifle?

"Second Amendment - Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?" -- IAShooters

Profile Email Website PM
lwh723
 August 14 2017 11:11AM  
Forum Senior Member

Vortex PST GenII is a really nice scope and comes in under your budget for you.

Midwest Muzzle Loader Classic www.arrowheadsporting.com/classic.html

Profile Email PM
PaulB
 August 14 2017 01:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

Saw one at sportsman's the other day in the 2k range that was really nice. Would be good long range I would expect. Out of my price range so I kind of toned out what it was.

You never get too old to learn, but you may get too old to remember what you learned.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 August 14 2017 06:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

In that price range you will have lots of options. All of the big names have nice scopes for that kind of money. You need to think about reticle options, first or second focal plane, mil or moa, range of magnification, etc.

Nightforce, leupold, vortex, and the the list goes on... do a search on PRS scopes and read away Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 August 14 2017 09:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

As you can see there are as many opinions as there are riflescopes out there! Lately I have been favoring Leopold scopes as their glass is exceptional and they are 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. Since you have a pretty generous budget I would take a look at the Leopold Mark 4 LR/T riflescopes. Check them out:

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/mark-4-lr-t-rifle-scope

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 August 14 2017 09:35PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

As you can see there are as many opinions as there are riflescopes out there! Lately I have been favoring Leopold scopes as their glass is exceptional and they are 100% American made with a lifetime warranty. Since you have a pretty generous budget I would take a look at the Leopold Mark 4 LR/T riflescopes. Check them out:

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/mark-4-lr-t-rifle-scope

[/QUOTE

You own one ???

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
CCA
 August 15 2017 10:14AM  
Forum Senior Member

assuming you were going to poke out there to the weapon's 'reasonable' limitations, i'd recommend scopes like the razor hd from vortex or possibly the PST. front focal plane is a must for serious shooters. i've kind of given up on the leupold line for now. inconsistent quality and loose specs have soured me. it used to be they'd at least warranty things if they were out of spec or broke, but they avoid replacement now too often for my liking. so until they swing back around i no longer recommend them. IOR and NF have some units that are in that range. you can find a used USO from time to time in that range and that wouldn't bother me a bit. the burris has some fine attributes, but i haven't used one enough to say with first hand feedback whether i'd recommend it or not.

if you're truly going to use the scope fully, you need to consider whether you want MIL or MOA pretty quickly... that is a big deal and you'd better be thinking through it.

-michael

suppressors are GOOOOOD...

Profile Email Website PM
lwh723
 August 15 2017 11:07AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CCA

assuming you were going to poke out there to the weapon's 'reasonable' limitations, i'd recommend scopes like the razor hd from vortex or possibly the PST. front focal plane is a must for serious shooters. i've kind of given up on the leupold line for now. inconsistent quality and loose specs have soured me. it used to be they'd at least warranty things if they were out of spec or broke, but they avoid replacement now too often for my liking. so until they swing back around i no longer recommend them. IOR and NF have some units that are in that range. you can find a used USO from time to time in that range and that wouldn't bother me a bit. the burris has some fine attributes, but i haven't used one enough to say with first hand feedback whether i'd recommend it or not.

if you're truly going to use the scope fully, you need to consider whether you want MIL or MOA pretty quickly... that is a big deal and you'd better be thinking through it.

-michael

Yeah, I agree with your take on Leupold. I ran a burris XTR-II two years ago. Glass was ok, but not on same level as PST and no where close to Razor. I've heard really good thing about the higher end bushnells lately, but haven't used any myself.

Midwest Muzzle Loader Classic www.arrowheadsporting.com/classic.html

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 04:00 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.50 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com