Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/17/2017 @ 11:40 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Walleye Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Mississippi River walleye

|  Printable Version
deerhunter23
 August 12 2017 01:01PM (Read 2004 times)  

Fished the river this morning for walleye trolling crank baits on wing dams. Had no luck. Anyone have any helpful tips on catching walleye on the river

Profile Email PM
DILLIGAF
 August 12 2017 01:14PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I'm definitely not the most experienced walleye fisherman in the world, but in the spring, a jig head with a minnow below the dams seems to work. This time of year I have no clue. I'm trying to catch them in lakes and in the Mississippi in central MN... not having any luck. Plenty of bass and northern pike though.

When you're up to your ass in alligators, it becomes difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Profile Email PM
biscuit
 August 12 2017 08:22PM  

We have caught walleye on the wingdams casting cranks recently. I find it easiest to anchor above the wingdam and cast the crank behind the dam and pull it back through. Make sure you are hitting the rocks on the way through. Also keep checking different wingdams, as not all seem to hold active fish.

Profile Email PM
live4fall
 August 13 2017 06:46AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

This time of year I like to use a three way setup with a floating jig and a night crawler or a leech (I use a Phelps jig), and troll the wing dams. 3 or 4 passes and on to the next wing dam.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user - Teddy Roosevelt

Profile Email PM
Wallyman
 August 14 2017 12:04PM  
Forum Senior Member

Another thing that I've had great luck on in the summer is finding channel edges and drift them and vertical jig. I have caught a lot of nice fish vertical jigging in the summer, and they hit extra hard this time of year. On Pool 14, we were fishing wingdams, not having any luck, found the channel edge where it went from 14'-20' and drifted that. Caught a bunch, all 20"-25" fish, all on purple one eyes. We found if you went deeper then 16', you got saugers, and if you were in the 20', you were getting sheephead. The walleye were strictly on the top of the break. Also, fishing wingdams has been effective, as was said, cast cranks past the dam and work it over, have caught some nice ones that way on Pool 11. I have found that I've had best luck on the really big Shad Raps and Jointed Shad Raps. Sizes 7-9 work great. Good luck!

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 August 15 2017 12:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

we will troll crankbaits on channel edges but august to september I like to slow down and use live bait on jigs. big minnows but mostly crawlers.

low water conditions hit front wingdams (in a series), high water conditions hit back wingdams. high water hit the inside of the wingdam, low water, hit the tips. is a general rule of thumb.

anchor above and cast. its regular pool right now what I like to do is focus on the tips. its where typically more active fish are going to be. I also will cast out to the side and let it drift down the channel edge.

that’s fairly easy and you can usually feel the the bait wash into the indentation before the dam.

another method a guy I know has really perfected is basically slow trolling dubuque rigs around the wingdam. using a dubuque rig with a jig/twister body/ half crawler as his dropper and a original floater or jointed floater as his back leader, he just slowly trolls around the wingdam picking it apart.

those are my favorite summer methods.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:40 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.09 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com