Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/18/2017 @ 03:10 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Upland Game New Topic Post Reply
 all shells can be picked up

|  Printable Version
kentmpeterson
 September 05 2017 08:30PM (Read 2730 times)  

last night my son and I tried dove hunting at a local public area that requires steel /non toxic shot. It was his first hunt and i am glad to say he was as discusted as i was by the piles of empty sheels.We carried out probly a case worth of shells none that I noticed had print or stamps indicating steel. I dont see how hard it is, YOUR MOTHER TAUGHT YOU TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, that extends to the fields. these lands are ours to use and ours to take care of.

Profile Email PM
tracyiowa53
 September 05 2017 09:28PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Glad you brought this up. After last yr's season I visited a local dove hunting area, public, and it too was littered with empty shells and shell boxes, candy wrappers, gum wrappers, etc., it looked pathetic.

Profile Email PM
kentmpeterson
 September 05 2017 09:51PM  

We all loose a shell here and there it happens, it just urkes me to see it of this magnitude.

Profile Email PM
CBinAmes
 September 05 2017 11:11PM  

"We have met the enemy and they are us." Fisherpersons and dove hunters are among the worst of the litterers in the outdoors. Come on guys just throw your empties in the bucket you're sitting on--the shells weigh a lot less going out than they did coming in! Rant over.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 September 06 2017 09:49AM  
Forum Senior Member

People today are just plain lazy azzes...........you see it everywhere you look

GO STATE!!

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 September 06 2017 10:27AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Agree on all points. "Somebody else will get it..."

I live out in the country, and a 1/4 mile west of me some a$$hole has dumped two big piles of home garbage in the both ditches in the last month. I have a CO that lives a mile south of me, and he doesn't have time to investigate. He said the Sherriff's office likely doesn't have the resources either. Just pathetic that people make their problems everyone else's.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
speng5
 September 06 2017 10:37AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have pretty much accepted slobs on public land/public waterways as a fact of life and don't get too riled up about it anymore.

But something that REALLY ticked me off was last year after dove season when I found a ton of shells and boxes on an IHAP property. As most of you know I often whine about the lack of public access for hunters and this is a great way to turn a land owner off the IHAP program completely. Not that I condone it but I can accept folks doing that to our public lands and waters, but on an IHAP property you are a guest on that person's property and you should conduct yourself as such.

CRIA-

I have come across a few instances of dumping. Typically I get the same response as you do, Conservation Officer XYZ or Sheriff's Deputy XYZ don't have time to look into it most likely. However a couple times I was able to poke through the garbage and find personal mail complete with name address of the dumpers. Called law enforcement with that info, and both times while fines/penalties were not issued, but only because the offender was given the choice of come back and pick up their garbage, or face the fines and tickets. They chose pick it back up. I can't imagine how big of an idiot you must be to illegally dump garbage with your name and address on it (not that you should be illegally dumping stuff anyway). I don't condone throwing your personal household stuff into an apartment complex or business's dumpster either, but I wish people would at least do that rather than drive out into the country and do it.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 September 06 2017 11:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

I have pretty much accepted slobs on public land/public waterways as a fact of life and don't get too riled up about it anymore.

x2. Basically, it is what it is. I try to pick up my own shells when I can find them and try to take out more than I brought in whenever it is possible to do so. Other than having organized clean-ups, I think that is about all we can do as sportsmen.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 September 07 2017 08:33AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

As sportsman we should all care about the enviorment. I often wonder why we don't go back to paper hulls.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 September 07 2017 10:07AM  
Forum Senior Member

Agreed we need to pick up all of our empties. Occasionally one will get away but the majority should be packed out. I always pick up any empties I see while hunting whether they are mine or not.

Paper shells used to swell when wet and were sometimes coated with wax to help them feed . That gummed up the chamber and caused feeding issues for autos. That is one of the reasons why pumps and side by sides were so popular. The heads were still made of brass and remained after the paper rotted away. But what is really needed are reliable biodegradable cheap shotgun shells.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 September 07 2017 10:20AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Whip

what is really needed are reliable biodegradable cheap shotgun shells.

Biodegradable, organic, conflict free sourced shotgun shells, available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I bet money Colorado or California is the first to mandate their use if such a thing ever gets invented. Prob cost $2 a shell.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
SADIEHAWKINS
 September 08 2017 02:00PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Biodegradable, organic, conflict free sourced shotgun shells, available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I bet money Colorado or California is the first to mandate their use if such a thing ever gets invented. Prob cost $2 a shell.

Small price to pay to help the environment. Paper shells are biogradable no need to invent something. Just like the evolution of steel shot. Don't know if there are paper shells being made anymore? I think there is very little brass in the hulls. Most are plated tin.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 September 09 2017 05:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

I started my hunting with paper shells and there's a good reason plastic replaced them especially in Iowa. They were notorious for swelling. Anywhere with moisture and they deformed on the rolled crimp and didn't feed as well in many guns. My old 1100 struggled but my neighbor s old humped back Browning fed them well.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 September 11 2017 10:23AM  
Forum Senior Member

If there were a biodegradable option more people might just leave their shells thinking that it is just going to biodegrade anyway and won't harm the environment. Then this might inadvertently lead to an even bigger mess of shotgun shells being left behind!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Whip
 September 11 2017 09:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

Ok lets make them edible with some super horn growing formula for deer or 0 calories flavored like your favorite beer. Make mine a 25 pack of bud light #4 steel.

Profile Email PM
IowaSportsmanGuy
 September 26 2017 07:12PM  

They'd probably charge $5 a shell because they could.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 3.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 3.52 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com