Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:14 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Walleye Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Pool 17 Mississippi

|  Printable Version
JT2365
 September 06 2017 11:29AM (Read 3095 times)  

Hey guys,

Looking for tips for pool 17. Planning on putting in at Muscatine. I fished it early spring with some good luck just pitching jig heads with a minnow but haven't really tried it this summer. Are the wing dams the place to be or up by the Dam where I was catching them this spring? I haven't tried a Dubuque rig yet but from reading other posts it may be the way to go. Any info helps.

THANKS!!!

Profile Email PM
gene
 September 07 2017 05:35PM  
Forum Senior Member

What's a Dubuque Rig?

Profile Email PM
biscuit
 September 07 2017 08:21PM  

Dubuque rig is like a 3 way rig. you can use a heavier jig on bottom and then use lighter jig/hook up top.

To original post. I have caught some fish on wing dams. I anchor above and cast cranks down, retrieving them to the boat. As I have learned and was taught, if you aren't in the rocks you wont catch fish. You also go through some extra tackle this way. I am very new to walleye as well and always trying to learn. Frustrating at times.

Good luck

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 September 08 2017 09:48AM  

Thanks Biscuit,

I was thinking that but just wanted to see if anyone else has been out lately. I don't really fish the Miss very often but do give reports for Lake Macbride when I go as it is the closest lake to me. Havent had a whole lot of luck there this summer for numbers but bottom bouncing crawler haulers were getting some fish. Not sure this method would work great on the Miss.

From past experience if people aren't responding that means one of two things: either people aren't fishing that area or the fish are biting and now one wants to tell.
Big Grin Big Grin

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 September 08 2017 11:10AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: JT2365

Hey guys,

Looking for tips for pool 17. Planning on putting in at Muscatine. I fished it early spring with some good luck just pitching jig heads with a minnow but haven't really tried it this summer. Are the wing dams the place to be or up by the Dam where I was catching them this spring? I haven't tried a Dubuque rig yet but from reading other posts it may be the way to go. Any info helps.

THANKS!!!

its getting cooler. in september i find plenty of fish where i found them in april/may.

i don't fish 17 a ton but if i were you, i'd fish the wingdams south of hog island, hwy 92 bridge pilings (just behind them) and the mouth of the creek on the ia side behind the bridge. and around towhead islands, you'll find seams where slack water meets fast moving water. i'd pitch jigs and plastics or flicker shads at those seams. around the wingdams either anchor and pitch or troll around them with dubuque rigs (but use a shallow crank as your trailing line) if i'm pitching to the bridge pilings, i use half a crawler on a jig.

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 September 08 2017 12:56PM  

Quote by: mskursh

Quote by: JT2365

Hey guys,

THANKS!!!

its getting cooler. in september i find plenty of fish where i found them in april/may.

i don't fish 17 a ton but if i were you, i'd fish the wingdams south of hog island, hwy 92 bridge pilings (just behind them) and the mouth of the creek on the ia side behind the bridge. and around towhead islands, you'll find seams where slack water meets fast moving water. i'd pitch jigs and plastics or flicker shads at those seams. around the wingdams either anchor and pitch or troll around them with dubuque rigs (but use a shallow crank as your trailing line) if i'm pitching to the bridge pilings, i use half a crawler on a jig.

Thanks for the reply and info. I will post how I do!

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 September 11 2017 10:56AM  

No luck on eyes. Tried the wings dams and slack waters. Maybe I was using the wrong bait but I went through almost everything I had. I did end up with catfish and bass.

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 November 03 2017 10:09AM  

Anyone been on 17 lately that can give a report?

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 03 2017 10:41AM  
Forum Senior Member

15,16,17 have been slow from all the reports i've gotten. we've had a rough october with warm weather and high water, and now we've seen a 15 degree water temp swing in 10 days. the fish should be on the chew soon but man its been rough.

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 November 03 2017 11:11AM  

15,16,17 have been slow from all the reports i've gotten. we've had a rough october with warm weather and high water, and now we've seen a 15 degree water temp swing in 10 days. the fish should be on the chew soon but man its been rough.

Thanks for the info!!

Profile Email PM
biscuit
 November 04 2017 08:22AM  

We fished pool 18 yesterday. Slow. No walleye, caught some drum. Hopefully next trip is a little better.

Profile Email PM
redmary
 November 04 2017 09:10AM  

Hitting pool 14 Sunday, hopefully the bite is on. It was slow last weekend for everything. ended up catching some nice white bass in the sandpits trolling crank baits.
Tight lines

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 06 2017 10:56AM  
Forum Senior Member

i had a great day on 16 saturday.

there were a ton of boats as there was a Walleye Federation Qualifier tournament going on and just normal locals but we stayed away from the crowd and i almost got my limit and my dad and a buddy put a few int he box too.

i worked current seams in 7-12' of water drifting down or dragging up with dubuque rigs. i used 3/4 oz jigs which is heavier than normal but the current seemingly called for it. we caught a few throw backs but most fish were eaters. 14's (2 saugers) up to 18's.

on 14 this weekend, it sounds like lots of guys clobbered them.

its getting better and i believe we have 3 weeks of hot fishing coming.

the report i got out of 17 was that water was moving fast.

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 November 06 2017 01:27PM  

i had a great day on 16 saturday.

there were a ton of boats as there was a Walleye Federation Qualifier tournament going on and just normal locals but we stayed away from the crowd and i almost got my limit and my dad and a buddy put a few int he box too.

i worked current seams in 7-12' of water drifting down or dragging up with dubuque rigs. i used 3/4 oz jigs which is heavier than normal but the current seemingly called for it. we caught a few throw backs but most fish were eaters. 14's (2 saugers) up to 18's.

on 14 this weekend, it sounds like lots of guys clobbered them.

its getting better and i believe we have 3 weeks of hot fishing coming.

the report i got out of 17 was that water was moving fast.

Thanks for the info Sir!!
Was it a morning bite or afternoon if you don't mind sharing, if not I understand?

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 06 2017 01:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

afternoon. we got out late morning. once we spent about an hour on one arm of the slough by ourselves, at least 4 of the tourney boats smelled a bite and came up in there and 3 of them had nothing, and the other 1 had 4 smaller fish. once all the tournament boats went out of the other area to weigh in, we went up and hammered em. so i think the afternoon bite was better. which will change from day to day.

Profile Email PM
redmary
 November 07 2017 08:26AM  

To be honest we had a very poor day chasing fish on Sunday. was fishing jigs and trolling crank baits on the wing dams and the sand pits in pool 14. Not a single hit. Would love some pointers if anyone has any. Not looking for your spots jsut some advice to get on some fish

THanks

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 07 2017 10:47AM  
Forum Senior Member

i'm not as versed on pool 14 at all really but i know a lot of guys that are fishing it right now. they are all fishing out above stamps island on that current seam. or fishing below the island on the seam aroudn lyon chute.

Profile Email PM
JT2365
 November 13 2017 02:24PM  

I went out on 17 on Thursday. Fished almost all day for one fish and it was over the slot. Tried the current cut by the damn and wing dams. Either I was having terrible luck or they were not biting.

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 14 2017 09:42AM  
Forum Senior Member

we pounded fish on 16 on friday. but we only found them in like a really small spot.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.09 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.12 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com