Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 05:48 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Done with Humminbird - Johnson Outdoor products

|  Printable Version
Bignate33
 September 08 2017 09:56AM (Read 1855 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Recently purchased a new boat outfitted with the Humminbird Helix system and linked to MinnKota Ulterra trolling motor. In order for the best performance I purchased the Humminbird Lakemaster map chips. Went to Lake of the Woods on my annual fishing trip in April, and found out when I got there that the portion of the lake I fish was NOT on the Lake of the Woods map card. When I got home, found out that the box did indeed say it only had portions of the lake covered. So I figured I was out $125. But since I had received fabulous customer service from Humminbird a few years ago on a different sonar unit, I figured I would get in touch.

So I emailed them with my issues, and their response was to upgrade the base map on the Helix unit. I tried this and the unit locked up. Called them, the said it can not be reset and would need sent in, which may not be covered under warranty. I also renewed my issue with the map card, and they said nothing could be done. So I sent the unit in, and then did a little more research on the map card to see if I could find the areas that were supposed to be included. On the Humminbird website I found a map highlighted with the areas that are supposed to be included....and the bay I fish was highlighted!! So I emailed back to their customer service that this area was not included and they should refund my money. Their response was since it was open, and they don't control what data is actually on the map, that there was nothing they were willing to do. So I am still stuck being out $125.

I used to think Humminbird had excellent customer service. I do not feel that way anymore. I also sent an email to Johnson Outdoors corporate notifying them of my issue and the way I was treated (several snide remarks from various customer service individuals at Humminbird). I have not heard back from them, and that has been over 2 weeks since the email was sent.

I did receive my head unit back and it does seem to function, however, they did not return the Gimbal knobs, so it took over a week to get replacements from Humminbird on those.

Due to this situation, I will NEVER again buy, or recommend Humminbird, or anything from Johnson Outdoors to anyone ever again. Sadly I'm stuck with this equipment now for the next few years. If I had it to do over, I would go Lowrance and Motorguide all the way!

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 September 08 2017 10:30AM  
Forum Senior Member

you've obviously not dealt much with lowrance or motorguides support. Lowrance used to have this amazing lady. but she's gone and the support is gone with it.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 September 08 2017 11:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

Sorry to here about this, I understand being upset with customer service, but for what it is worth Helix and Ulterra is a great setup. (and > $4k depending upon the Size & options of the Helix)

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 September 08 2017 08:37PM  
Forum Senior Member

This is why we should ALWAYS thoroughly research BEFORE we make a purchase.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 September 09 2017 08:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

From the outset...I've never really been much of a fan of Humminbird. When you buy something from them...it's usually outdated within a year anyway. I'll take a good ol' fashioned flasher unit any day over some of the bells and whistles available in most fancy sonar units today Cool

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
Agronomist_at_IA
 September 11 2017 07:25PM  
Regular Contributor

Lol you had it easy. First year I bought my boat I got the huminbird and minkota setup to do the pilot stuff. The Huminbird locked up first trip and I sent it in April. It Went back and forth in the mail. Finally by Nov. of that fall I got a working sonar.....Anytime I can avoid Humminbird I do.

Profile Email PM
m sauer
 September 12 2017 07:48AM  
Forum Senior Member

I've had nothing but good results from my Humminbirds and the Terrova iPilot Link. I've used CS once and it was hassle free.

Profile Email PM
Bignate33
 September 22 2017 11:05AM  
Regular Contributor

Follow up to my original post on this. I am still completely dis-satisfied with Humminbird, and Johnson Outdoors corporate has not yet replied to my email. So i'm completely done with them.

However, I stopped in at Scheel's the other day and was talking to one of the fishing managers about the fiasco, and he told me to go ahead and bring the Lakemaster card back into them (where I initially purchased it) and that they would go ahead and swap it out. So I have now done that, and at least have a card with maps that will be useful to me now. So I give huge props to Scheel's for their customer service!!

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Profile Email PM
Runngun675
 September 22 2017 11:55AM  
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear about your experience with hummingbird. I sold both hummingbird and Lowrance and can tell you first hand it was 10:1 Lowrance/navionics/motorguide complaints against hummingbird/lakemaster/ minn kota. I would try not to let one experience taint an entire company especially with nothing but excellent service prior. A simple google search will show you an overwhelming amount of reviews on which company has the better service. Maybe being forced to use em now will re sell you cause service aside they are an excellent product.

Profile Email PM
eatnlunch
 September 22 2017 02:48PM  

OP, I totally get the frustration of a terrible customer support experience like that. I do run a Humminbird Helix 7 with great results, BUT I have not yet ventured beyond the built-in mapping. I have been considering the Navionics chip, as I live on a private lake and as far as I can tell, the Navionics chip is the only one that has any data for my lake.
Glad to get the warning about Johnson Outdoors though. Sorry your experience with the Humminbird was so bad, I really like mine. Even use it in the winter for ice fishing!

Always Be Fishin My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2x79g7OiCFdZdiuaIWKnCQ FishBrain mobile app: eatnlunch

Profile Email PM
tomme boy
 September 22 2017 03:40PM  
Regular Contributor

Naviomics sucks. Don't bother

R.I.P. Bear. My best friend of 7 years. 5-22-2010

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:48 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.27 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com