Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 05:49 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Firearms New Topic Post Reply
 Testing out the new 450 Bushmaster

|  Printable Version
topH20terror
 September 08 2017 09:02PM (Read 1931 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Picked up my new Ruger American 450 Bushmaster on Tuesday. The scope I bought for it, a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 BDC came Thursday and the scope rings got here today. so of course as soon as I got home from work I put everything together and got it bore sighted. Here's how she looks........

Went out to get it sighted in and zeroed of course. Took 3 shots to get it about 1/2" high and close to centered @ 50 yards. Then went out to 100 yards. 1st shot was a tad left so I adjusted 1/2 MOA right, took shots 2, 3, 4, and 5 which ended up to be a 7/8" group. Adjusted 1/2 MOA down since they seemed just a tad high and took shot 6. I adjusted back up 1/4 MOA after shot 6.

Then went out to 200 yards. 1st shot drilled the center paint. The breeze picked up a tad for shots 2 and 3 but still a decent group. This was on my 12" AR500 target.

Then went out to 300 yards. 1st shot was a dead center shot. Shot 2 was right there as well and 3 was just a tad left. Still right at a 3" group. This was on my 16" AR500 target. Not too shabby for shooting with just a bipod and rear bag off of my shooting table out of the back of my truck.

All in all, I'd say any deer within 300-350 yards of me this season while I have a good steady shot to take is in a whole lotta trouble. Twisted Evil

Fish...Hunt...Eat...Sleep / Independent...Veteran...Atheist...Family Man

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 08 2017 09:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Here's the reason I went with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 for this gun. The BDC circles match extremely well for 150, 200, 250, 300 and top of the post for 350. This is what my Strelok Pro app gave me after I input everything into it. Made it super easy to shoot 200 and 300 yards today and get dead center hits.

Profile Email PM
hendog
 September 10 2017 09:29PM  

How loud is it? I'm guessing ear protection is a must.

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 10 2017 11:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: hendog

How loud is it? I'm guessing ear protection is a must.

Yes, it's a must. It barks very loudly. Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
maxx
 September 11 2017 09:43AM  
Forum Senior Member

I refuse to shoot guns at the range without hearing protection unless they are suppressed yes even 22's.

Any gun with a muzzle break is even worse, recoil better sound not so much. If you ever ducted hunted with someone with a ported choke tube it is the same just really loud.

Add in the fact that the gun only has a 16" barrel my guess is it is louder than most are even used to.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
FMB50010
 September 11 2017 09:48AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I don't know where you at but The Iowa Sportsman Magazine and Range masters in Clive is looking at setting up a few days coming up that you can go in and test fire a suppressor on some of the new hunting rifles from Bowers group... PS nice gun

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/vers-458/

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 September 11 2017 10:10AM  
Forum Senior Member

That is some pretty darn good shooting! I always wince whenever someone at the range parks next to me with a rifle having a muzzle brake. Not only is it loud, but I can literally feel the gases blowing on me with each shot.

Have you checked out Nikon's Spot On app for your mobile phone or tablet? You can input your rifle caliber as well as some other factors and it will give you the distances for each marking on the BDC reticle.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 11 2017 07:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Have you checked out Nikon's Spot On app for your mobile phone or tablet? You can input your rifle caliber as well as some other factors and it will give you the distances for each marking on the BDC reticle.

I used to have the Nikon app, but now I run Strelok Pro on my phone. It has everything the Nikon app has plus so much more. That pic I posted of the reticle came off of my Strelok Pro app on my phone. Cool

BTW guys, I hunt with electronic noise cancelling camo ear muffs so no noise issue touching off this beast. Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 11 2017 07:22PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: FMB50010

I don't know where you at but The Iowa Sportsman Magazine and Range masters in Clive is looking at setting up a few days coming up that you can go in and test fire a suppressor on some of the new hunting rifles from Bowers group... PS nice gun

http://www.bowersgroup.com/product/vers-458/

Running a suppressor on my 450 Bushmaster would be awesome!

I just can't justify the cost for no more than I'll be using it. I'm just a poor working guy. Wink

Profile Email PM
cast n
 September 12 2017 08:30AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

topH20terror........... Did you use factory loads or were they reloads? If factory, what did you use? I purchased an upper for my AR and hope to reload for it. I got some 275gr Barnes TSX's on the way. I also have the dies and the brass ready to go. I may have to try some Hornaday FTX's as well. Little concerned reloading them as they headspace on the case mouth. Been reading some articles and also some reloading manuals that the amount of crimp used is very touchy, and can cause FTF and pressure spikes. I know you are a reloading junky too, so if you do dive into it, be sure to post your results! I will try to do the same, if I can remember how to post pics. Cool

"Show me a good sportsman, and I'll show you a great American." - Herb Parsons

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 12 2017 05:57PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: cast+n

topH20terror........... Did you use factory loads or were they reloads? If factory, what did you use? I purchased an upper for my AR and hope to reload for it. I got some 275gr Barnes TSX's on the way. I also have the dies and the brass ready to go. I may have to try some Hornaday FTX's as well. Little concerned reloading them as they headspace on the case mouth. Been reading some articles and also some reloading manuals that the amount of crimp used is very touchy, and can cause FTF and pressure spikes. I know you are a reloading junky too, so if you do dive into it, be sure to post your results! I will try to do the same, if I can remember how to post pics. Cool

Used factory Hornady Black ammo. I may start reloading and doing some test loads next year sometime but for now I'll just use the factory ammo. I can't see running through much more than one box (20) of ammo through deer season and as good as it's shooting I don't have any complaints.

Profile Email PM
ActionJackson
 September 13 2017 08:34AM  

Quote by: topH20terror

Used factory Hornady Black ammo. I may start reloading and doing some test loads next year sometime but for now I'll just use the factory ammo. I can't see running through much more than one box (20) of ammo through deer season and as good as it's shooting I don't have any complaints.

Would that be the 250 gr FTX round?
Did the Nikon scope not come with the mounting rings?

I am looking into getting the same setup and your post has only made the itch worse Laughing Out Loud

Also, any recommendations on the bipod?

Profile Email PM
Handcannon
 September 13 2017 06:48PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I love those Nikon BDC scopes. My 243 & ML both have one. I looked at that rifle at Scheels today. Nice & short rifle. Yours looks like it's a great shooter!

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 13 2017 07:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: ActionJackson

I am looking into getting the same setup and your post has only made the itch worse Laughing Out Loud

Yes, 250 gr FTX. I bought the scope as a new take off from a package Savage rifle a guy was selling so no rings came with it. I like to use Burris Signature Zee rings on all my stuff. The ones I used on this rifle were the mediums. As far as the bipod, it's hard to beat a Harris but the one I'll be using for hunting is a Caldwell 13.5"-27" so I can sit and get the proper height. The one I used for shooting off of my bench was a 6"-9" Harris.

Profile Email PM
ActionJackson
 September 19 2017 09:06AM  

Quote by: ActionJackson

Yes, 250 gr FTX. I bought the scope as a new take off from a package Savage rifle a guy was selling so no rings came with it. I like to use Burris Signature Zee rings on all my stuff. The ones I used on this rifle were the mediums. As far as the bipod, it's hard to beat a Harris but the one I'll be using for hunting is a Caldwell 13.5"-27" so I can sit and get the proper height. The one I used for shooting off of my bench was a 6"-9" Harris.

Good info, thanks. I also have one other questions if you wouldn't mind....I have only used a BDC scope once or twice. Does adjusting the power from to, say 4 to 9 throw off your compensation bubble distances? In my mind, and I could be wrong, adjusting the power would keep your 100 yard (zeroed) no matter what but would affect the other bubbles. Do you just pick a magnification you like best and keep it there at all times?

Thanks for all your insight.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 September 19 2017 09:20AM  
Forum Senior Member

Yes adjusting magnification will alter the distances of the bubbles. Your zero will hold true.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:4

This is helpful when using a Nikon BDC scope.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 September 19 2017 06:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

TeamAsgrow beat me with the correct answer. Mr. Green

I'm keeping my scope on 9 power unless I get one closer than 50-75 yards.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 September 19 2017 07:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

TeamAsgrow beat me with the correct answer. Mr. Green

I'm keeping my scope on 9 power unless I get one closer than 50-75 yards.

Teamasgrow is going to keep it on 7 power when he uses it. Probably 4x when boyasgrow has it this weekend, our shots will be close in the stand I set!

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 September 20 2017 05:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

That is where the first focal plane vs. second focal plane come into effect.

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.95 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:49 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.00 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com