Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/23/2017 @ 11:36 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Dredge at Storm Lake sold?

|  Printable Version
Agronomist_at_IA
 September 11 2017 07:28PM (Read 1515 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I heard the DNR or whoever ran out of funding so the dredge is being sold to somewhere in South Dakota. This will be the end of dredging on Storm.

Anyone know the specifics?

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 September 11 2017 07:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Agronomist_at_IA

I heard the DNR or whoever ran out of funding so the dredge is being sold to somewhere in South Dakota. This will be the end of dredging on Storm.

The dredge is owned by BV county, they built another spoil site over by the east site to take in more sediment a few years ago.

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 September 12 2017 08:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

The dredge is owned by BV county, they built another spoil site over by the east site to take in more sediment a few years ago.

This IS the last year of dredging, funding has run out - and if memory serves me correctly, the City owns the dredge, not the county. I know the operators were city employees for the first few years, and the city handles all of the maintenance issues with it (which there have been a LOT the last 2-3 years)

The funding shortage is bad enough that all of the projects they were looking at doing as the next phase (rebuild the islands, treat lake with alum to settle sediment, etc.) are on hold as well.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
Pommer
 September 12 2017 08:33AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The Storm Lake Times reported recently that work has begun on Shorty's Island on the east side.

"Don't throw a rock at a glass house if you own one yourself"

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 September 12 2017 09:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: dkwolf

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

This IS the last year of dredging, funding has run out - and if memory serves me correctly, the City owns the dredge, not the county. I know the operators were city employees for the first few years, and the city handles all of the maintenance issues with it (which there have been a LOT the last 2-3 years)

The funding shortage is bad enough that all of the projects they were looking at doing as the next phase (rebuild the islands, treat lake with alum to settle sediment, etc.) are on hold as well.

I know that there's been a hydraulic fluid leak or two in the past 2-3 years. Yes, you are right city employees have been running it. Next time I am home visiting family, I'll have to get down to the skinny on this because I heard something a bit different...I got my source Wink

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
bubbaboy
 September 12 2017 09:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

dredging on storm lake is done after this season,they hired out to a company to run the dredge for the last couple years.they are working on the island by lake side.

got the best job,i get paid to talk about hunting and fishing all day

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.33 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:36 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.37 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com