Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/26/2017 @ 05:44 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Dog Training New Topic Post Reply
 Reviews of 6R Upland Kennels needed

|  Printable Version
astephens5283
 September 12 2017 01:21PM (Read 905 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

Hey All,

My family is ready to buy a new pup, and have settled on the GSP breed. We are wanting to be within an hour or so driving distance from the kennel, and we settled on 6R Upland Kennels out of Gilman. Does anyone have any experience with this place?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire." - Roland

Profile Email PM
Joy
 September 12 2017 01:54PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=33&showtopic=952983 go to search and type in 6R
from previous posts about 6R Upland Kennels on Iowa Sportsman website 2015

Profile Email PM
astephens5283
 September 12 2017 02:08PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I appreciate the advice, but I have done that already and didn't get much info, and nothing more recent than 2 years old....

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 September 12 2017 03:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Great breed IMO and one of the most versatile hunting dogs out there. Good luck with your search!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Wingbuster64
 September 12 2017 04:11PM  
Regular Contributor

If you change your mind on where you want to get your pup from, I have a litter of gsp's. My number is3194044281 if you would like more info

Dan

Profile Email PM
Madison COunty
 September 12 2017 05:42PM  
Regular Contributor

Chris is a great guy and runs a top notch operation. I got my first GSP from him 5-6 years ago and couldn't be happier. My dog Gunner is a great hunter and listens well. I did sent him back there for a couple years (for a month maybe) so Chris could work with him and train him.

He let me go out in the field and watch his dogs work in a field because I was new to hunting dogs.

Profile Email PM
coalcreek
 September 13 2017 11:45AM  
Regular Contributor

I took my dog up to him last year for training. I don't have the resources like I used to train. I was starting to see the writing on the wall with my dog. A guy from the dog park gave me Chris's number. I had him up there for like 5 weeks like summer. Best money I ever spent. He came back as a different dog. And I'll probably send my dog back for refreshers this year and next. He normally has pups for sale. He's having a customer's fun day coming up. You should try to attend that. You will see a lot of his dogs there that he raised or trained. I personally like the guy and his family. Great people.

Profile Email PM
IowaHunter66
 September 13 2017 12:06PM  

We purchased an all black GSP from 6R a little over 2 years ago. We had been following this kennel for years as we first saw them at Pheasant Fest in DM a few years back and they had all black ones then which we really fell in love with. We picked the runt of the litter and she is smaller than the normal GSP. We named her Bella and she is a wonderful dog. This is my 4th GSP and I would say she is a little higher stung than my last 3 but that is what you get with GSP's. When we were there he did have a lot of dogs on his property (50+) but I am not sure how many were for breeding and how many were there for training. Overall I had a great experience with them and would give them a very good recommendation. Please let me know if you have any further questions I may be able to help answer for you...

Profile Email PM
astephens5283
 September 13 2017 12:32PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Thank you guys for the info!

I believe that the litter that we are going to be getting a puppy from will be ready to go on the same day as the customer/family picnic.

My family and I were out to the property and very much liked Chris. It's just nice to see a few extra endorsements as well...gives you that warm fuzzy.

On another note, I will be looking for training partners here very soon after we pick the little guy up. If anyone has any resources in the Des Moines area for training pointers, that would be great.

Thanks again

Profile Email PM
WellsFisher
 September 13 2017 01:01PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

We got our Roxie 2 years from 6R and could not be happier. She is on the smaller side for a GSP, has never weighed much more than 40lbs. She has an amazing nose and loves to hunt and makes a great family dog. I would be pretty hard pressed to look anywhere else in the future when we decide to get another GSP. Chris takes care of the owners of his dogs and treats them well .

Keep Calm & Fish On

Profile Email PM
Rabbithunter
 September 14 2017 01:28AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have a solid liver female from Chris out of a litter from Blade and Shilo. She is an excellent dog. Has a great nose in the field and a desire to work with you. She listens well and wants to hunt close. She is also a house dog which was important to us, she is very compassionate and calm. Its almost like having 2 separate dogs. In the field she is full of energy and in the house she's a couch potato. You wont be disappointed.

Lifes too short...enjoy it to the fullest!!!

Profile Email PM
firepoggy
 September 14 2017 08:24AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: astephens5283

I believe that the litter that we are going to be getting a puppy from will be ready to go on the same day as the customer/family picnic.

My family and I were out to the property and very much liked Chris. It's just nice to see a few extra endorsements as well...gives you that warm fuzzy.

On another note, I will be looking for training partners here very soon after we pick the little guy up. If anyone has any resources in the Des Moines area for training pointers, that would be great.

Thanks again

\

I live in Johnston and have access to private ground where the pup can run. I also have a membership to Bensink Farms in Pleasantville if you'd like to tag along or need pheasant wings brought back. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Profile Email PM
jmknight
 September 14 2017 08:34AM  

I have had two dogs trained by Chris. He really likes dogs and has a way with them. I wouldn't have any reservations from purchasing a pup from him.

Profile Email PM
IowaHunter66
 September 14 2017 07:49PM  

Interesting to hear the parents names. Our Black GSP Bella came from Ace and Elizabeth out of the 6R Kennels...

Profile Email PM
yota87
 September 14 2017 08:25PM  

Quote by: firepoggy

Quote by: astephens5283

Thanks again

\

I live in Johnston and have access to private ground where the pup can run. I also have a membership to Bensink Farms in Pleasantville if you'd like to tag along or need pheasant wings brought back. Send me a pm if you're interested.

I second that on bensink farms he has a spot just for training young dogs
if you ever wanna tag along at bensink let know im also a member

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.90 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 05:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.94 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com