Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 06:58 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Toothy Critter Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Underwater Pike strikes

|  Printable Version
tomasz20
 September 23 2017 12:46PM (Read 1576 times)  

Ever wonder what it looks like when the northern pike bite your bait. This is the video for you. It shows how a pike reacts to trolling. We were trolling for pike using a big musky crank and other Rapala crank baits near the end.

Big Grin Big Grin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MSd6LXyLA&t=2s Big Grin Big Grin

Profile Email PM
walleyewilly
 September 23 2017 01:31PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

That's an awesome camera. What brand/model is it?

Profile Email PM
tomasz20
 September 24 2017 12:10PM  

Water Wolf version 1.1

Profile Email PM
stick500
 September 26 2017 10:41AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

As much as I love fishing, it's kinda tough to actually see up close and personal the poor things getting hooked! Never looks very pleasant. I think because these were caught trolling they look especially hapless.

Kinda like hunting. It's all great until you see their eyes roll up in their head and their tongues lay out with their last breath.

At least most of these pike were probably back to patrolling the waters in a couple of hours with only a faint memory of that odd shiny, hard, tasteless prey that yanked them out of the water for a few moments! Smile

Profile Email PM
tomasz20
 October 09 2017 03:39PM  

Quote by: stick500

As much as I love fishing, it's kinda tough to actually see up close and personal the poor things getting hooked! Never looks very pleasant. I think because these were caught trolling they look especially hapless.

Kinda like hunting. It's all great until you see their eyes roll up in their head and their tongues lay out with their last breath.

At least most of these pike were probably back to patrolling the waters in a couple of hours with only a faint memory of that odd shiny, hard, tasteless prey that yanked them out of the water for a few moments! Smile

Yes all of these pike were released very quickly.

here is another underwater pike strikes video, this one is casting spoons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaSPH7bRYik

Profile Email PM
stick500
 October 10 2017 09:50AM  
Regular Contributor

Now that's cool.

I've never seen these videos where they can actually cast the camera out like that and retrieve the lures.

That would be fun to try but you better have your mask and snorkel ready if you snag on a log!

How much are those cameras?

Profile Email PM
Norhawk
 October 10 2017 10:21AM  

That is a pretty cool video! I always wondered what a strike would be like when trolling. I was just up to Lake Vermilion a couple of weeks ago and did pretty decent with Pike and Walleye trolling crank baits. I am new to trolling crank baits and so far I am loving it!

Profile Email PM
Maverick
 October 10 2017 10:28AM  
Forum Senior Member

I find it interesting that the little snot rockets attacked from nowhere and seemingly without hesitation and the bigger fish all seemed to come in for an inspection and had to think on it awhile before attacking. Thanks for sharing the video.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.

Profile Email PM
stick500
 October 12 2017 11:23AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Maverick

I find it interesting that the little snot rockets attacked from nowhere and seemingly without hesitation and the bigger fish all seemed to come in for an inspection and had to think on it awhile before attacking. Thanks for sharing the video.

Ha! That's how they got to be big- just a little more cautious.

Kinda like smallmouth fishing- the eight-inchers are all over your lures while the big ones have to be coaxed a bit sometimes.

Profile Email PM
tomasz20
 October 14 2017 10:54AM  

Quote by: stick500

Now that's cool.

I've never seen these videos where they can actually cast the camera out like that and retrieve the lures.

That would be fun to try but you better have your mask and snorkel ready if you snag on a log!

How much are those cameras?

between 180 to 200$ on ebay.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 06:58 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.41 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com