Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/17/2017 @ 10:56 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Early Muzzleloader

|  Printable Version
dawson
 October 05 2017 04:52PM (Read 5834 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

Been hunting late muzzy for the last 4 years and luckily been able to get a doe every year but I am finding it very difficult to locate or see any bucks on the public land around my area during the late season, so this year I opted for the early season even though it is buck only to hopefully increase my chances of getting my first one. Haven't been able to scout much because of being 2 hours away at school but did find a decent buck, by jumping him out of his bed (hope only once isn't a huge deal) but I do have a couple spots picked out depending on the wind. Just wondering if anybody had tips or pointers for this early in the season? Thanks!

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 06 2017 08:31AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Make sure you are prepared for any possible bugs (Thermacell or good spray, etc).

Wear lighter clothes. I just suck it up and am chilly for the first hour or two but as the day gets warmer I am happy I'm not wearing much in terms of normal hunting clothes.

Have a plan for getting the deer either home or to the processor or on ice quicker than in Late.

Depending on where you are at, movement can vary a lot based on the status of harvest, whether everything is still standing, has already been cut, or is in the process of being cut.

Good luck!

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 October 06 2017 11:51AM  
Forum Senior Member

Why do you say early ML buck only? As far as DNR is concerned, it is a statewide any sex tag. ???

Profile Email PM
trout killer
 October 06 2017 12:13PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: IaCraig

Why do you say early ML buck only? As far as DNR is concerned, it is a statewide any sex tag. ???

Because for the northwest 1/4 of the state Early ML and 1st season shotgun are antlered deer only. See page 6 of the regs.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 October 06 2017 01:22PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: trout+killer

Quote by: IaCraig

Because for the northwest 1/4 of the state Early ML and 1st season shotgun are antlered deer only. See page 6 of the regs.

Very interesting, I did not know that. Thanks.

I haven't deer hunted up there for nearly 20 years and possibly will never again, but I feel foolish for not knowing that.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 October 06 2017 02:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

The laws are a little confusing now. You don't get any sex gun tags anymore, you get statewide tags. And then what you can legally shoot is different. I think it has made a big difference in my area, we have way more deer after that started.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 October 06 2017 02:51PM  
Forum Senior Member

What counties does this affect in Iowa. If the disease is coming across the mississippi why is the state going with the Northwest Iowa counties? I am so confused on their logic. I am confused by this. Nothing on my deer tag or license says anything about buck only. Man, wish the state would clarify this crap. robbie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 October 06 2017 02:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

What counties does this affect in Iowa.

If the disease is coming across the mississippi why is the state going with the Northwest Iowa counties?

I am so confused on their logic.

I am confused by this.

Nothing on my deer tag or license says anything about buck only. Man, wish the state would clarify this crap. robbie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 06 2017 03:12PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: rericsson

What counties does this affect in Iowa. If the disease is coming across the mississippi why is the state going with the Northwest Iowa counties? I am so confused on their logic. I am confused by this. Nothing on my deer tag or license says anything about buck only. Man, wish the state would clarify this crap. robbie

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Licenses-Laws

Page 6. Counties in red is only antlered deer for Early Muzz and 1st shotgun.

Doesn't affect 70% of Iowa.

Profile Email PM
Handcannon
 October 06 2017 10:32PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

If the disease is coming across the mississippi why is the state going with the Northwest Iowa counties?

I am confused by this.

Nothing on my deer tag or license says anything about buck only. Man, wish the state would clarify this crap. robbie

It's not about CWD. It's because (compared to the rest of the state) - there aren't very many deer in those counties. Deer #s go up when you stop shooting does. Think of it as, for every 1 doe you kill - you are really killing 3 deer (the doe & 2 fawns to be born next spring).

One thing we've learned from the "do your part, shoot a doe" agenda of 2006 is that when you shoot the does it diminishes the herd so fast & has lasting effects for so many years that it is unreal. I live in Woodbury & will never shoot another doe...never. Plenty of deer in Sioux City but not much anywhere else in Woodbury - nothing like it used to be before 2006.

I travel those counties daily & can tell you that there are so few deer in this upper corner that it's not even funny. That's why I gun hunt on the other side of the state.

Profile Email PM
bigbuckhunter88
 October 07 2017 01:58PM  
Forum Senior Member

I am confused by this.

Pretty simple. The only thing that makes a tag buck only is the location of the hunt. If you don't hunt the NW portion it doesn't apply to you. It's all in the regulation booklet

Profile Email PM
bowonly
 October 09 2017 10:08AM  

I've been reading through the regulations and have a question. Am I to understand that as long as I'm not hunting with a firearm during this early Muzzleloader season, I am not required to wear hunter orange? Don't get me wrong, I will be wearing it, but I was just confused that it would not be required. In Louisiana and in other states I've hunted, it is required by all hunters if there is a firearm season in progress. We will be arriving during the final weekend of the early muzzy season and just wanted to be clear on the requirements.

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 09 2017 12:05PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: bowonly

I've been reading through the regulations and have a question. Am I to understand that as long as I'm not hunting with a firearm during this early Muzzleloader season, I am not required to wear hunter orange? Don't get me wrong, I will be wearing it, but I was just confused that it would not be required. In Louisiana and in other states I've hunted, it is required by all hunters if there is a firearm season in progress. We will be arriving during the final weekend of the early muzzy season and just wanted to be clear on the requirements.

Can't explicitly tell from your question, but strongly assume you are hunting with bow then. So no, you don't need to wear orange. Only if you are using the muzzie. I regularly park in my hunting spot next to a guy who hunts bow, I go out with orange, him in all camo.

Profile Email PM
bowonly
 October 09 2017 03:20PM  

Thank you for that clarification. And yes, I'll be bowhunting. I was just a little surprised when reading thru the regulations that no hunter orange is required for non firearm hunters and wanted to make sure I was reading that right and not missing something.

Profile Email PM
Stomper
 October 09 2017 07:26PM  
Forum Senior Member

Squirrel and rabbit hunters don't need orange butcan hunt at this time also.

Profile Email PM
mhock
 October 10 2017 08:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Stomper

Squirrel and rabbit hunters don't need orange butcan hunt at this time also.

As well as fall turkey

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 October 11 2017 09:33AM  
Forum Senior Member

Eek!

Trying to increase doe population in Northwest Iowa by having buck only.

I understand there logic now.

So, I have purchased early muzzy tag in Calhoun County. A red zone. Can I hunt in Guthrie county and kill a doe with this tag? Just can not kill doe in anyt red zone???? Anybody know. Did not see that in the regs. Robbie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 October 11 2017 09:46AM  
Forum Senior Member

Eek!

So, I have purchased early muzzy tag in Calhoun County. A red zone. Can I hunt in Guthrie county and kill a doe with this tag? Just can not kill doe in any red zone???? Anybody know. Did not see that in the regs. Robbie

I am not an expert, but I do believe that is correct. The ML Tag/license is good statewide, and you need to follow the regulations for the county you hunt in. The optional doe tags though are specific to county.

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 11 2017 10:05AM  
Regular Contributor

Eek!

So, I have purchased early muzzy tag in Calhoun County. A red zone. Can I hunt in Guthrie county and kill a doe with this tag? Just can not kill doe in anyt red zone???? Anybody know. Did not see that in the regs. Robbie

Yes, 100% correct. Like IACraig said, the ML tag is good statewide. You could also shoot a doe in Carroll or Greene county (in between Calhoun and Guthrie), which don't have doe tags available, but are not red zone.

They almost need to list the counties on the tag which you can't hunt a doe tag with during EM and Shotgun 1.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 October 11 2017 10:06AM  
Forum Senior Member

^^^^ This, it is a statewide/anysex tag. But if you hunt in a red county, you are limited to bucks. Any other county you can shoot a doe.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 10:56 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.27 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com