Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/19/2017 @ 02:59 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Cover up Scent and scent killer

|  Printable Version
drmac22
 October 07 2017 10:11AM (Read 1707 times)  
Forum Senior Member

So i have been bow hunting along time and had some pretty good success, I am pretty anal about scent control and always follow quite a regiment of washing in Scent control wash and UV control for my clothes, hanging dry, showering and using products to kill scent and and cover it up. Always have. I also hunt the wind the best I can . But i have been having some good success lately and thought I would share it. You can take it or leave it.
I watch a good amount of hunting TV and see the Scent Crusher closets and bags and the Ozonics. I bought one of the ozonic unit and I do believe they work but the deer definately smell something. So i took it back.
I was interested in the way ozone kills and removes smells and odors so i basically created my own Scent crusher hanging bag with a 30 dollar Chinese Ozone generator off Ebay and a plastic garment hanging bag. I have to say it works very well. I just hang my clothes i am planning on wearing to hunt that morning or evening and run the unit for 30 mins and it pumps about 300mgs of ozone into the bag surrounding my clothing and removing smells. This in my opinion works well. then i put the clothes on and go hunt. trying hard to minimize contaminating the clothes. for me this works. I also have purchased 5 pounds of active carbon charcoal which is also used to remove smells and odors. I place these bags in my box with my hunting clothes and they help keep the odors out. I also pat down with one of these bags on my clothes and boots, it leaves a powdery layer like talc but it is removing smell.
Here is what I bought.. it cost like 11 bucks. 5 mesh bags. 1 pound each.
Activated Charcoal Carbon in 5 Mesh Bags for Aquarium Pond Canister Filter 5 LBS

My final secret is what I use for my cover spray. I can tell you this absolutely works and infact is somewhat of an attractant. I go find those honey locust brownish red pods from the tree and gather about 30 of them. I take a big boiling pot and i cut them up in one inch clips into the pot until i get about an inch of them. Pour one gallon of distilled water in them and put some kind of a screen to keep the pods at the bottom weight it down. then I bring to a boil and let it rolling boil for 5 mins or so.. after that leave it in the pot with the screen over night to cool down.. 24 hours. Then I pour it through a cheese cloth to remove the larger particles back into the gallon jug, filling up my spray down bottle when i need to through out the year. Do this just at the hunting season because it needs to be refrigerated so it dont go sour. I promise you it works. Infact I sprayed my tree climbing steps and had a buck come right below me to lick the steps. they love the smell and taste and it works well to cover yours. Just some stuff I do. Hope this helps you all. I know folks will just say just hunt the wind. well that is also part of the plan. But sometimes the winds change. Good luck!

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
medicdano
 October 07 2017 12:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Thats an interesting spray idea. Does it stain fabric?

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 07 2017 12:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

I suppose it can its the color of tea. I use it on camo so never really noticed.

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
kenhump
 October 07 2017 04:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

Interesting. We use to boil our traps in black Walnut hulls. Never tried our trapping clothes. They lived in the Far corner of back porch. Laughing Out Loud

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
tim ballard
 October 07 2017 10:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have the ozonics and love it. But been considering getting something like you did instead of spending the money on the scent crusher. I do have the scent crusher go for the truck and it does work. Been considering getting a unit that is for a room and is 69 bucks. But use it in one of my closet at home. And then maybe a smaller unit when im hunting away from home. What unit did you get? There are alot of them to sort through..

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 08 2017 11:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

Tim, be careful with those home units. some put out upwards of 3000 to 5000mg of ozone which is ALOT, they are used to deoderize whole rooms and it is not good to breath it, you really need a good hour or three for it to dissipate . It would work for a closet that is sealed but it will seep out into your room if not. You really dont need that much ozone generation. The scent crusher unit puts out 300 or 400mg. The one I bought from china puts out 600mg per hour. That is plenty in a confined space like the plastic hanging garmet bag. I used duct tape to seal all the joints and only get seepage through the cheap zipper. No big deal cause I usually hang it out in the garage and run it. If you put you hunting clothes directly into a scent lok bag or box then put them on in the field.. i think that is best. Thats what I do.

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
tim ballard
 October 08 2017 11:39AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thanks. I also considered hooking up a unit like yours to a tote. Kind of like the tote that scent crusher sells which is ridiculous high priced. Or would a hanging garment bag be better?

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 08 2017 10:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

No a tote would work well to. You could buy some of the stick on rubber seals and really make it air tight and then just drill a big enough hole to run the hose through into the tote. And Yes Scent Crusher is like 5 x more then you would spend to make that tote. The ozone generator cost around 30 bucks and then what ever you spend on the tote and seal. Not alot. this is the one i bought... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ozone-Generator-Ozonator-600mg-h-Air-Purifier-Water-Food-Sterilizer-110V-220V-/172597833829?var=&hash=item282fa1f065:m:m-Ti3wdTTD9D49tg365yrwg

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
FMB50010
 October 09 2017 10:54AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

guys I jsut got some Vapor trail Scents Watch his videos. I am excited to try it this year.

https://vimeo.com/226765836[url]<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> http://vaportrailscents.com/[url]

Tell me what you guys think.....

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 October 09 2017 12:26PM  
Regular Contributor

drmac- I love your idea re: locust beans. Where I hunt there are a ton of cedar/spruce trees, and they are my preferred stand trees if I can find one in a good set location. The key benefits are that they grow all the way to the ground, providing natural tree steps with minimal trimming. They also provide a ton of cover and the deer rarely if ever see me. Finally, and most importantly, the berries they produce in the fall can be crushed in your hands and rubbed on your clothes and gear as a fantastic cover scent. I also throw a bunch of the berries in the bottom of my backpack and in my coat pockets. I'll bet a guys could render these berries similar to the locust beans to produce a very similar product.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 09 2017 01:03PM  
Forum Senior Member

I love the Spruce berries too. I was thinking of trying that with them as well like the locust beans. I do hunt in Spruce and cedars alot too so that would make sense to use there. I think anything that is naturally in their environment that you can exploit to cover your smell is the best. I always walk through cow pastures where I hunt so I am sure to step in a cow pie or two. That works well for cover scent too. So many cattle farms around where I hunt.

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
BullBlueGill
 October 10 2017 12:34PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Ok, i'll bite. You don't need anything but knowledge of thermals and wind. All the other stuff is just giving you a false sense of security.

Profile Email PM
tracyiowa53
 October 10 2017 02:24PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Ok, i'll bite. You don't need anything but knowledge of thermals and wind. All the other stuff is just giving you a false sense of security.

Smile

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 11 2017 10:33AM  
Forum Senior Member

Bull Blue,
Please explain to me how to detect Thermals well deer hunting, you can guess which direction the wind is suppose to be out of based on the forecast, and using wind checks, but that changes. How do you adjust to a change in the wind direction if your in your stand hunting...? Do you get down and move locations? I am just trying to minimize my scent signature when I am hunting. I think it has been pretty effective for me. I have 3 deer over 150 and shot a 171 last year so proof is in the production. I do hunt the winds, when i can, but do not sweat it if its wrong for a particular stand i want to hunt. I have zero knowledge of thermals so could not tell you if I am doing it right by them. I just do what I know works for me. I posted this with reservations, i really just wanted to try and help others out. As I said Take it or leave it. No worry.

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
BullBlueGill
 October 12 2017 07:01AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: drmac22

Bull Blue,
Please explain to me how to detect Thermals well deer hunting, you can guess which direction the wind is suppose to be out of based on the forecast, and using wind checks, but that changes. How do you adjust to a change in the wind direction if your in your stand hunting...? Do you get down and move locations? I am just trying to minimize my scent signature when I am hunting. I think it has been pretty effective for me. I have 3 deer over 150 and shot a 171 last year so proof is in the production. I do hunt the winds, when i can, but do not sweat it if its wrong for a particular stand i want to hunt. I have zero knowledge of thermals so could not tell you if I am doing it right by them. I just do what I know works for me. I posted this with reservations, i really just wanted to try and help others out. As I said Take it or leave it. No worry.

Yeah, I get down and move if need be. thermals are fairly easy actually, they rise in the morning and fall in the evening and you should hunt them that way. I use milk weed pods to detect how wind moves through the timber. you can actually watch it out 80-90 yards. you'll see it rising up, you'll see it go right to the ground, you'll see it do funny things...it all depends where you are hunting and how the terrain lays out. I have a few spots i can hunt with almost any wind as the thermals suck it right up out of a break in the canopy.

You can hunt as you choose and use what you'd like as cover up, but i can tell you most times any mature deer will bag you regardless of what you've done. I dont' care if your using real doe piss, ozonics, scent crusher or any of the gimmicks on the market. A big deer will get you if the wind is in that deer's favor. I kill plenty animals using nothing so I can debunk the gimmick game. Until someone creates a air tight bag to hunt out of, a deer's nose will always have the upper hand.

Yes, I slip up and down the hills or move to another stand entirely when the wind switches or thermals are not right. I have not killed a 170, so maybe there is something to it. I can tell you if I lived in Iowa, I would have more of an opportunity.

What you do is great if it makes you happy, but i can tell you that bean pods will do nothing for early season when the deer are on food. During the rut i find bucks will walk right downwind and don't even flinch when they are nose to the ground looking for a lover. Now if they are chasing a doe, you're bagged regardless, those does senses are so high all the time, especially being coon dogged. Brewed up pods or not she is spoiling your party. I've used everything on the earth as cover up, I used carbon, i've tried it all still just to get bagged. Now i hunt with nothing and been doing do for about 10 years. I don't even shower cause it doesn't matter. I plan my routes in, wear gloves and don't touch anything, play the wind. I've been more successful being smart than I was using products.

Charcoal and removing scent from your clothes means nothing. You have 30k to 40k dead skin cells dropping off your body a MINUTE. yes, it's a scientific fact. That's how dogs track humans. De-scented clothing means nothing unless you find a way to cover your breathe, your skin oils, your hair oils and a way to keep your balls from stinking. It's impossible.

I your mind, what constitutes a "wrong wind"? I'm just curious cause i'd never hunt a wrong wind and burn a stand.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 October 12 2017 07:10AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Bull Blue,

Yeah, I get down and move if need be. thermals are easy play if you know an area, they rise in the morning and fall in the evening and you should hunt them that way. I use milk weed pods to detect how wind moves through the timber. you can actually watch it out 80-90 yards. you'll see it rising up, you'll see it go right to the ground, you'll see it do funny things...it all depends where you are hunting and how the terrain lays out. I have a few spots i can hunt with almost any wind as the thermals suck it right up out of a break in the canopy. I go in the woods in spring and mess with the different winds. Experiment so to speak. I have a tree line, doesn't matter what wind, for some reason anything west sucks south. My deer bed to the east there and naturally I don't want to hunt it with a west wind cause all the deer come from there...But if I get a anything south west or north west that wind sucks right down the tree line north or south. It's CRAZY.

You can hunt as you choose and use what you'd like as cover up, but i can tell you most times any mature deer will bag you regardless of what you've done. I dont' care if your using real doe piss, ozonics, scent crusher or any of the gimmicks on the market. A big deer will get you if the wind is in that deer's favor. I kill plenty animals using nothing so I can debunk the gimmick game. Until someone creates a air tight bag to hunt out of, a deer's nose will always have the upper hand.

Yes, I slip up and down the hills or move to another stand entirely when the wind switches or thermals are not right. I have not killed a 170, so maybe there is something to it. I can tell you if I lived in Iowa, I would have more of an opportunity.

What you do is great if it makes you happy, but i can tell you that bean pods will do nothing for early season when the deer are on food. During the rut i find bucks will walk right downwind and don't even flinch when they are nose to the ground looking for a lover. Now if they are chasing a doe, you're bagged regardless, those does senses are so high all the time, especially being coon dogged. Brewed up pods or not she is spoiling your party. I've used everything on the earth as cover up, I used carbon, i've tried it all still just to get bagged. Now i hunt with nothing and been doing do for about 10 years. I don't even shower cause it doesn't matter. I plan my routes in, wear gloves and don't touch anything, play the wind. I've been more successful being smart than I was using products.

Charcoal and removing scent from your clothes means nothing. You have 30k to 40k dead skin cells dropping off your body a MINUTE. yes, it's a scientific fact. That's how dogs track humans. De-scented clothing means nothing unless you find a way to cover your breathe, your skin oils, your hair oils and a way to keep your balls from stinking. It's impossible.

I your mind, what constitutes a "wrong wind"? I'm just curious cause i'd never hunt a wrong wind and burn a stand.

Profile Email PM
KeokukCoboy
 October 12 2017 08:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

Yeah, I get down and move if need be. thermals are fairly easy actually, they rise in the morning and fall in the evening and you should hunt them that way. I use milk weed pods to detect how wind moves through the timber. you can actually watch it out 80-90 yards. you'll see it rising up, you'll see it go right to the ground, you'll see it do funny things...it all depends where you are hunting and how the terrain lays out. I have a few spots i can hunt with almost any wind as the thermals suck it right up out of a break in the canopy.

I your mind, what constitutes a "wrong wind"? I'm just curious cause i'd never hunt a wrong wind and burn a stand

Absolutely true, At this time there is nothing on the market that even comes close to fooling a deer nose, but for some I know it gives them a sense of security to use a certain product and if you feel confident while out in the stand then go for it. Once they find a product that can fool a dogs nose (which is not even close to a deer sniffer)I might bite but until then I will skip the spray and hunt the ol fashion way which is down wind...

Im Just A Passenger...Life Is Just A Ride

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 October 12 2017 09:29AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

I your mind, what constitutes a "wrong wind"? I'm just curious cause i'd never hunt a wrong wind and burn a stand

Absolutely true, At this time there is nothing on the market that even comes close to fooling a deer nose, but for some I know it gives them a sense of security to use a certain product and if you feel confident while out in the stand then go for it. Once they find a product that can fool a dogs nose (which is not even close to a deer sniffer)I might bite but until then I will skip the spray and hunt the ol fashion way which is down wind...

Absolutely. If a deer could be domesticated like a dog, dog's only use would be for food at the Asian buffets. A whitetails olfactory senses are approx 50- 80 million times better than a dogs.

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 12 2017 10:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

You are absolutely right the Whitetail nose is just about invincible. with that being said you can still fool it or deceive it. Make it think its something else or not a threat. I use what I use because I have seen deer dead downwind of me smelling and lifting their heads in the air smelling trying to determine what that smell is.. But then disregard and present a shot. why do you wear camo when hunting? To eliminate your pattern and deceive the deers eyes which are very good too. Movement usually gives you away. I agree there is really nothing that you can do to absolutely fool the deer, but you really only need to slow the processing time down long enough to get your shot off and if they cannot figure out what that is or where it came from that might be the advantage you have. Deer are conditioned animals, have you ever seen deer in a field and the min you walk out in camo and they see you they are gone, but yet a tractor can bring haybales in a field and it does not bother them. They are conditioned to that. I try to use what they are conditioned to smelling as a defense of my scent. Cowpies, Locust beans, and just downright killing most of my smell. As I said its just what I do and have success but everyone is different. I know a guy who smokes in his stand wears old Trebark coveralls that hang in his garage and he shoots deer every year. He hunts the same stand everytime too. Just how it works I guess. As for the thremals I suppose I do use them then, cause I use the fluff floats those little cotton things and set it adrift from my stand or as I go in to see which direction the wind is out of. I see them rising and falling so I know where the wind is going and know that If a deer is approaching I need to try and shoot it before it gets into that scent cone. Some times it works other times not so much. I hunt alot of cow pasture areas so there is alot of ways and trails they take. Over all i enjoy the way i hunt and like the challenge of trying to maintain scent control. I suppose you can say its a false sense of security but I don't agree. My choice. Here is an article I found when i started using Ozone which pushed me to start using it more. http://www.oxidationtech.com/blog/can-ozone-eliminate-scent-odor/

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
BullBlueGill
 October 12 2017 10:41AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

You are absolutely right the Whitetail nose is just about invincible. with that being said you can still fool it or deceive it. Make it think its something else or not a threat. I use what I use because I have seen deer dead downwind of me smelling and lifting their heads in the air smelling trying to determine what that smell is.. But then disregard and present a shot. why do you wear camo when hunting? To eliminate your pattern and deceive the deers eyes which are very good too. Movement usually gives you away. I agree there is really nothing that you can do to absolutely fool the deer, but you really only need to slow the processing time down long enough to get your shot off and if they cannot figure out what that is or where it came from that might be the advantage you have. Deer are conditioned animals, have you ever seen deer in a field and the min you walk out in camo and they see you they are gone, but yet a tractor can bring haybales in a field and it does not bother them. They are conditioned to that. I try to use what they are conditioned to smelling as a defense of my scent. Cowpies, Locust beans, and just downright killing most of my smell. As I said its just what I do and have success but everyone is different. I know a guy who smokes in his stand wears old Trebark coveralls that hang in his garage and he shoots deer every year. He hunts the same stand everytime too. Just how it works I guess. As for the thremals I suppose I do use them then, cause I use the fluff floats those little cotton things and set it adrift from my stand or as I go in to see which direction the wind is out of. I see them rising and falling so I know where the wind is going and know that If a deer is approaching I need to try and shoot it before it gets into that scent cone. Some times it works other times not so much. I hunt alot of cow pasture areas so there is alot of ways and trails they take. Over all i enjoy the way i hunt and like the challenge of trying to maintain scent control. I suppose you can say its a false sense of security but I don't agree. My choice. Here is an article I found when i started using Ozone which pushed me to start using it more. http://www.oxidationtech.com/blog/can-ozone-eliminate-scent-odor/

Sir, i've hunted Iowa. All i'm saying is count your blessings. If you want a reality check, come to WI. I'd give my left testicle to be an Iowa resident. If I was single with no kids i'd be right with ya.

Hunt how you choose, believe what you believe. Good luck.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:59 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.39 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com