Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 07:04 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Cover up Scent and scent killer

|  Printable Version
KeokukCoboy
 October 12 2017 01:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

You are absolutely right the Whitetail nose is just about invincible. with that being said you can still fool it or deceive it. Make it think its something else or not a threat. I use what I use because I have seen deer dead downwind of me smelling and lifting their heads in the air smelling trying to determine what that smell is.. But then disregard and present a shot. why do you wear camo when hunting? To eliminate your pattern and deceive the deers eyes which are very good too. Movement usually gives you away. I agree there is really nothing that you can do to absolutely fool the deer, but you really only need to slow the processing time down long enough to get your shot off and if they cannot figure out what that is or where it came from that might be the advantage you have. Deer are conditioned animals, have you ever seen deer in a field and the min you walk out in camo and they see you they are gone, but yet a tractor can bring haybales in a field and it does not bother them. They are conditioned to that. I try to use what they are conditioned to smelling as a defense of my scent. Cowpies, Locust beans, and just downright killing most of my smell. As I said its just what I do and have success but everyone is different. I know a guy who smokes in his stand wears old Trebark coveralls that hang in his garage and he shoots deer every year. He hunts the same stand everytime too. Just how it works I guess. As for the thremals I suppose I do use them then, cause I use the fluff floats those little cotton things and set it adrift from my stand or as I go in to see which direction the wind is out of. I see them rising and falling so I know where the wind is going and know that If a deer is approaching I need to try and shoot it before it gets into that scent cone. Some times it works other times not so much. I hunt alot of cow pasture areas so there is alot of ways and trails they take. Over all i enjoy the way i hunt and like the challenge of trying to maintain scent control. I suppose you can say its a false sense of security but I don't agree. My choice. Here is an article I found when i started using Ozone which pushed me to start using it more. http://www.oxidationtech.com/blog/can-ozone-eliminate-scent-odor/

I have done the same thing as far as having deer down wind sniffing the air trying to make a decision weather to run or not without any scent cover up. Seen them stomp and snort come completely back around and offer a shot. Depends on what they feel I guess. On the flip side if that was a coyote down wind and he even remotely gets a wiff of a human,he wont stick around and the last thing I will ever see of him will be his butt and tail.

Im Just A Passenger...Life Is Just A Ride

Profile Email PM
drmac22
 October 12 2017 01:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

If you can ever get a shot at a yote with your bow, you are doing it right cause they are much harder in my opinion to fool then Deer. BigBlue, I here ya about counting my blessings. I was in the Navy for 22 years and lived away from Iowa mostly in the Cali (Which Sucked ass) I also hunted out there so I know the challenges, Each state and area are different and have different methods that work. My Buddys from Florida come up to hunt every couple years and I laugh at them for hanging their stands like 25+ feet in the tree! I am like dude what are you doing its fine to be 15-18 feet up. But because they are used to hunting deer in florida and they are very difficult to hunt cause of the pressure and type of cover they go high up. Here the deer are not like that. Different area different types of hunting. I love learning knew techniques everyone uses and see what best fits my type of hunting. I guess that is like my Grandpa used to say experience is the best teacher. Learn from mistakes and minimize them to end up being successful.

Go Hawkeyes!

Profile Email Website PM
BullBlueGill
 October 13 2017 11:03AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

You are absolutely right the Whitetail nose is just about invincible. with that being said you can still fool it or deceive it. Make it think its something else or not a threat. I use what I use because I have seen deer dead downwind of me smelling and lifting their heads in the air smelling trying to determine what that smell is.. But then disregard and present a shot. why do you wear camo when hunting? To eliminate your pattern and deceive the deers eyes which are very good too. Movement usually gives you away. I agree there is really nothing that you can do to absolutely fool the deer, but you really only need to slow the processing time down long enough to get your shot off and if they cannot figure out what that is or where it came from that might be the advantage you have. Deer are conditioned animals, have you ever seen deer in a field and the min you walk out in camo and they see you they are gone, but yet a tractor can bring haybales in a field and it does not bother them. They are conditioned to that. I try to use what they are conditioned to smelling as a defense of my scent. Cowpies, Locust beans, and just downright killing most of my smell. As I said its just what I do and have success but everyone is different. I know a guy who smokes in his stand wears old Trebark coveralls that hang in his garage and he shoots deer every year. He hunts the same stand everytime too. Just how it works I guess. As for the thremals I suppose I do use them then, cause I use the fluff floats those little cotton things and set it adrift from my stand or as I go in to see which direction the wind is out of. I see them rising and falling so I know where the wind is going and know that If a deer is approaching I need to try and shoot it before it gets into that scent cone. Some times it works other times not so much. I hunt alot of cow pasture areas so there is alot of ways and trails they take. Over all i enjoy the way i hunt and like the challenge of trying to maintain scent control. I suppose you can say its a false sense of security but I don't agree. My choice. Here is an article I found when i started using Ozone which pushed me to start using it more. http://www.oxidationtech.com/blog/can-ozone-eliminate-scent-odor/

I have done the same thing as far as having deer down wind sniffing the air trying to make a decision weather to run or not without any scent cover up. Seen them stomp and snort come completely back around and offer a shot. Depends on what they feel I guess. On the flip side if that was a coyote down wind and he even remotely gets a wiff of a human,he wont stick around and the last thing I will ever see of him will be his butt and tail.

Damn straight, yotes are tough to kill. Plus they are like 1st grader, they don't stay still for more than 2 seconds.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.19 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 07:04 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.24 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com