Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 07:06 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Struggling. . . .

|  Printable Version
iamike304
 October 09 2017 09:38PM (Read 3081 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

Well, this season has not been kind to me so far. Moved to Council bluffs this spring, and have been putting in a lot of work trying to get on some deer. Public lands, as well as a small 25 acre piece of private I got permission on. . . I have yet to even get a shot at a doe. Been out half a dozen times, froze my butt off tonight.

Anyone around this area have any insight to get me going? Ill put in the work for bucks, and be ok with failing to fill a buck tag, but right now im not real happy with myself that Im failing to even fill a doe tag. . . . Filled 5 last year, but that was in a high deer density area a couple hours east of here. . . .

Dont need pinpoint spots, but if someone is familiar with some of the public pieces out west here, shoot me a message, Id like to try to get some ideas of places that are even worth it or not. Sat on public tonight, I was the only one there. Didnt see a deer. . . .

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 October 10 2017 07:11AM  
Forum Senior Member

Have you looked into any of the public ground to the north in Harrison and monona county? Lots of big tracks of ground that hold a lot of deer.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 October 10 2017 08:10AM  
Forum Senior Member

You've only been out six times and your already complaining? I must be missing something.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 October 10 2017 09:14AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. All I have this year is public ground for the first time in my life. Seeing deer most nights, but haven't been able to draw back on one yet.

One thing I know is that public deer are much spookier. You have to be his well and have your scent control PERFECT. I have also found if you are walking in less that 800 yards then your chance of seeing deer is much less. Most of my public stands are no less than. 1000 yards off the road.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 October 10 2017 10:26AM  
Forum Senior Member

Welcome to the jungle. It's still early, be patient.

GO STATE!!

Profile Email PM
hawkfan73
 October 10 2017 10:32AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It will take you a few years to learn how the public piece you are hunting works. The past several years I have been hunting public exclusively and up until the past 3 my success was discouraging. For the most part, during daylight hours you will mostly only see spikes, forks and fawns recently departed from momma. The mature does and bucks can be tough to get on. If you want a mature buck, I have come to the conclusion that you must be in the woods during that magic 10 day window when mother nature makes them get up and search for does. I take a week off from work every year and roll the dice of when that time might be. During that 9-10 day stretch, that I have off, I sit all day. No leaving for lunch and very rarely will I move to another stand, essentially when I take a gamble on a spot that is what I stick with for that day. Which brings up another point, you must have multiple locations. I have 3 or 4 hang on stands set up and half a dozen trees picked out for bringing in the climber. The wind/weather that day determines where I sit. In my experience, I have found that sitting on a field edge doesn't get it done, the mature deer, does or bucks, on public, simply don't come out early enough in the evening to get a shot. I do have a couple of trees on field edges though I will use the climber on, but they are more for observation sits. You need to get somewhere near bedding areas and try and catch that buck cruising from bedding area to bedding area during that magic 10 day window. Many will tell you that you have to get way back in to a piece of public to have any success. There is a little truth to that, but it should not be the rule. You have to remember that people have been giving that same advice for years, so guess where most of the hunters are at? way back in there. The land decides where they are. I first realized this a few years ago when at 5 A.M. I bumped a very nice buck with a couple of does less that 50 yards from my truck. That morning I had decided to take an alternative route to my stand, way back in coincidently, because of the wind that day. After the season was over I went back out and scouted the area some more and low and behold the best bedroom that I had found on the whole piece was right there 50 yards from the parking area. That brings me back to the learning the public piece you are hunting, you have to spend some time scouting after the season is over and making observations while out hunting turkey season. Someone posted about scent control. This is absolutely correct, it has to be as close to perfect as you can get. Play the wind with no exceptions. If the wind isn't right for the stand you want to hunt then you may as well not even waste your time. The wind needs to be in your favor for the walk in as well. I used to set my stands at a platform height of 15' which is more than adequate for most private land. I switched to 20' platform height 3 years ago and have noticed a dramatic difference. This is just some of what I have learned hunting public and are just my thoughts, do with it as you wish.

Profile Email PM
1luckyguy
 October 10 2017 11:21AM  
Forum Senior Member

You've been out 6 more times than me. Take a week off, let your spots sit empty for awhile. Maybe you're educating the deer if you're sitting the same spots multiple times. Temps will drop and deer movement will increase over the next 4 weeks. I don't even plan to hunt for another 2 weeks. Go fishing instead, it's a long season don't burn yourself out the first 2 weeks.

Tough times don't last....... Tough people do.

Profile Email PM
hawkfan73
 October 10 2017 11:47AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: 1luckyguy

You've been out 6 more times than me. Take a week off, let your spots sit empty for awhile. Maybe you're educating the deer if you're sitting the same spots multiple times. Temps will drop and deer movement will increase over the next 4 weeks. I don't even plan to hunt for another 2 weeks. Go fishing instead, it's a long season don't burn yourself out the first 2 weeks.

I agree with this as well. Especially on public. I have found that going out the first couple of weeks, unless you are on very low pressured land, is a waste of time.

Profile Email PM
fishhook
 October 10 2017 11:49AM  
Regular Contributor

I would echo this advice. Relax, plenty of time left.

The Dude Abides!

Profile Email PM
relytretsemrub
 October 10 2017 12:04PM  
Regular Contributor

6 more times than myself also!i wouldn't get too excited until it gets colder out,bugs die,crops come out, moon phase, November 4th is full moon i'd say your gonna wanna be in a tree starting that week

Can't Fix It

Profile Email PM
WapelloMark
 October 10 2017 12:46PM  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: fishhook

I would echo this advice. Relax, plenty of time left.

Yep, agreed, patience pays off Wink

Owner and Operator of MockingBird FireArms Instruction NRA Certified in-home mobile and impromptu carry classes.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 October 10 2017 01:55PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: iamike304

Well, this season has not been kind to me so far. Moved to Council bluffs this spring, and have been putting in a lot of work trying to get on some deer. Public lands, as well as a small 25 acre piece of private I got permission on. . . I have yet to even get a shot at a doe. Been out half a dozen times, froze my butt off tonight.

Anyone around this area have any insight to get me going? Ill put in the work for bucks, and be ok with failing to fill a buck tag, but right now im not real happy with myself that Im failing to even fill a doe tag. . . . Filled 5 last year, but that was in a high deer density area a couple hours east of here. . . .

Dont need pinpoint spots, but if someone is familiar with some of the public pieces out west here, shoot me a message, Id like to try to get some ideas of places that are even worth it or not. Sat on public tonight, I was the only one there. Didnt see a deer. . . .

Your season opened Oct 1. what am i missing here?

Froze your butt off? Wait a second here, is this an old thread?

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 October 10 2017 01:58PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: hawkfan73

I agree with this as well. Especially on public. I have found that going out the first couple of weeks, unless you are on very low pressured land, is a waste of time.

Sorry, there is no such thing as pressured land in Iowa. You guys don't have a clue what real pressure is. it's the truth, I wouldn't expect you to know because you'd be loco to leave Iowa and hunt elsewhere. As a Wisconsin resident, trust me when i tell you this, you don't know what pressure is. If you hunt smart, don't hunt the mornings and bump deer early, it should take you into rut with no issues. Don't be a typical public land idiot. early, don't hunt mornings. Hunt evenings only, get em going to food.

Profile Email PM
iamike304
 October 10 2017 03:34PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: BullBlueGill

Your season opened Oct 1. what am i missing here?

Froze your butt off? Wait a second here, is this an old thread?

Apparently you werent sitting last night in Western Iowa. . . .

Not complaining at all! New to the area, and trying to get insight from guys who are more familiar than me of the area~!

I agree completely on not pressuring spots. I havent hunted the same spot twice. Moving around and trying to find deer. Dont want to blow spots out this early.

Thanks for the help guys, heading out the door to sit now. Hope this cold weather has deer on their feet!

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 11 2017 07:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

I think for your general area, there would be very different movements post-harvest. Don't burn yourself out. However, good job on your perseverance.

If you harvested five deer last year, it probably isn't anything you are doing, and is just a reflection of your locations/timing.

Sounds like you have a positive attitude. Keep it up.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 October 11 2017 08:48AM  
Forum Senior Member

Sorry, there is no such thing as pressured land in Iowa. You guys don't have a clue what real pressure is. it's the truth, I wouldn't expect you to know because you'd be loco to leave Iowa and hunt elsewhere. As a Wisconsin resident, trust me when i tell you this, you don't know what pressure is. If you hunt smart, don't hunt the mornings and bump deer early, it should take you into rut with no issues. Don't be a typical public land idiot. early, don't hunt mornings. Hunt evenings only, get em going to food.

How do you know these things?

GO STATE!!

Profile Email PM
aaronm
 October 11 2017 09:22AM  
Regular Contributor

Try going back into the public land as far as you can. While the entire property will still have pressure, deeper sections usually don't get as much. Other than that you are not experiencing anything out of the norm, as others have stated be patient and enjoy the time. If you have been out 6 times already I would consider you a very successful man, and many people on here would like to trade spots with youSmile

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 11 2017 10:16AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: medicdano

I'm in the same boat. All I have this year is public ground for the first time in my life. Seeing deer most nights, but haven't been able to draw back on one yet.

One thing I know is that public deer are much spookier. You have to be his well and have your scent control PERFECT. I have also found if you are walking in less that 800 yards then your chance of seeing deer is much less. Most of my public stands are no less than. 1000 yards off the road.

It really depends on the public ground. I look for two things in public grounds when I deer hunt.

I look for a piece that is really big that allows you to work your arse off and get away from everyone else.

The other pieces I look for are spots that are so small that no one thinks to hunt it or if someone does hunt it you can only really put one guy in it. I have a spot that like that is money for hunting.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 11 2017 10:18AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: HEROMA

How do you know these things?

I wont comment on the derogatory comments he made about public ground but as far as pressure goes he is pretty much correct compared to WI.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 October 11 2017 10:18AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: aaronm

Try going back into the public land as far as you can. While the entire property will still have pressure, deeper sections usually don't get as much. Other than that you are not experiencing anything out of the norm, as others have stated be patient and enjoy the time. If you have been out 6 times already I would consider you a very successful man, and many people on here would like to trade spots with youSmile

I agree to a certain degree. The public land I hunt, I go deep because I know where there is a good bed there and most the human traffic is in and around the parking areas on both ends(at least until trapping season). However I am a believer that often the key to bow hunting public is to hunt based on the human activity. If other hunters are already trekking in deep, then any deer they bump will often make a fairly wide circle and offer good opportunities much closer to the parking lot.

I wish you well.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.34 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 07:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.38 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com