Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/19/2017 @ 02:51 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Struggling. . . .

|  Printable Version
Tin Roof
 October 11 2017 12:43PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

I wont comment on the derogatory comments he made about public ground but as far as pressure goes he is pretty much correct compared to WI.

Depends where you're at. I can show you some parts of far NE Iowa that are littered with hunters all seasons. Especially if you get in Amish area. It's not uncommon during shotgun season to see a group drive a parcel an hour after the last group left.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 October 11 2017 12:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

While that can be true and especially so at areas near big metros (Hawkeye, etc) the nice thing about Iowa is you can usually (and I understand some parts of our state really suck for public ground more than others) drive 60-90 miles and come upon a few smaller perhaps county managed places where youll be the only car in the lot.

Example: for as crowded as ne Ia and the amish area can get, Fountain Springs near Greeley isnt far. Ive yet to see someone turkey hunt it while Im doing the same. Deer season I have seen one other guy. And consider this, most of the time im hunting on a weekend.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 11 2017 01:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Does anyone have a number on the number of people that buy a deer license per year in Iowa?

I know WI has over 600k of hunters during the 9 day gun/rifle season. It's a mess.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Tin Roof
 October 11 2017 01:01PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

While that can be true and especially so at areas near big metros (Hawkeye, etc) the nice thing about Iowa is you can usually (and I understand some parts of our state really suck for public ground more than others) drive 60-90 miles and come upon a few smaller perhaps county managed places where youll be the only car in the lot.

Example: for as crowded as ne Ia and the amish area can get, Fountain Springs near Greeley isnt far. Ive yet to see someone turkey hunt it while Im doing the same. Deer season I have seen one other guy. And consider this, most of the time im hunting on a weekend.

That's a good point on Fountain. A lot of locals forget that it's public hunting. It mainly gets used for trout fishing during the day and underage drinking parties at night. Big Grin

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 October 11 2017 01:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Does anyone have a number on the number of people that buy a deer license per year in Iowa?

I know WI has over 600k of hunters during the 9 day gun/rifle season. It's a mess.

Wisconsin also has about 20X the amount of public land that Iowa does.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 11 2017 01:19PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

How much of it is decent deer hunting public ground?

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
beniah1066
 October 11 2017 01:22PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Iowa has about 300k hunters across the seasons for deer specifically.

Profile Email PM
bullhead44
 October 11 2017 03:31PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

When i first started bowhunting i only had public land. It was a learning process 1. Try your darndest to get away from where everyone else is 2. Learn from mistakes, this takes time and dont get stuck in a "rut" of only 1 way works 3. Dont overlook a small patch of timber, scout it, scout everything!! And last but not least ask a farmer for access, you cant gain if you never ask! Good luck and keep notes, they do help!

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 11 2017 03:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: beniah1066

Iowa has about 300k hunters across the seasons for deer specifically.

I wondering how the breakdown is. Again WI has 600k plus during the 9 day rifle season. That doesn't include bow hunting, youth season, late muzzy, etc.

Trust me Iowa is much better breakdown of how they do there hunts.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 October 11 2017 05:13PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

How much of it is decent deer hunting public ground?

About 20x more than what we have here. Wisconsin has 600,000 hunters and over 5million acres, in Iowa we have 300,000 hunters and around 350,000 acres.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
iamike304
 October 11 2017 05:26PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I understand about the pressure from both sides. I grew up in Michigan with a rifle season opening Nov 15 every year, and 700k+ people in the woods. I moved to Iowa a few years ago only for deer hunting. I see public areas here that dont compare to the same number of people I would see in MI, but still can be pressured.

Good news is, I got a call today, and got permission on a piece of private that I have been working on for a while. Not huge, but saw some good deer while coyote hunting there in September. Going to go sit and glass from a distance a few nights and see how the movement is coming into a cut corn field. Not giving up on public though, have a few spots in mind. As I said, if anyone is familiar with public around this area, shoot me a message, I have a few questions on a couple places. . . i.e are they even worth trying, etc. .

Thanks guys!

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 October 11 2017 06:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

An evening Deer cruise is a good way to get a read on things. As soon the summer seems to end around here, people are out every evening scouting for seasons to come.

Heck, I start getting scouting reports as soon as Turkey season is over... Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:51 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.35 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com