Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/19/2017 @ 02:59 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Mean Ole Mississippi First timer

|  Printable Version
Fishin General
 October 10 2017 12:26PM (Read 1982 times)  

I've never fished the Mean Ole Mississippi and after four years of living in Cedar Rapids I've put it on the to do list for this fall. My buddy and I are going to take his boat out and give it a try this weekend.

Do any of you have advice on which pools and boat ramp are best. We are making it an overnight deal so driving distance isn't too big of a deal.

Also any other advice would be appreciated on Odd regulations, boating hazards, etc. Probably be targeting walleye mostly but am open to whatever is biting. Thanks for any info!

Profile Email PM
Wildcats789
 October 10 2017 12:37PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Been flathead fishing pool 14 out of clinton. Caught a few on sunfish, ended up with a 29.5 walleye on a 5" sunny on a 10/0 hook with 4oz of weight on it, 2 weekends ago. Should be a good time to be on the river! A lot of grass coming down river at the time. A fish finder with maps showing channel and wingdams is handy. If not you can print maps off Corps of Engineers site, just google upper Mississippi River navigation charts. Has your buddy spent time on the Miss?

Profile Email PM
gellar
 October 10 2017 01:23PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

the River has risen over the last week and is continuing to rise. It is at Action stage at the Lynxville Dam now. You will want to look for areas with less current and less grass flowing, as that has been bad recently as well. For Walleyes I would suggest a 3 way rig above wingdams, closer to shore.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 October 10 2017 01:26PM  
Forum Senior Member

If you don't mind slightly longer drive than straight east, go north on the river like guttenberg or above. Very scenic and overall better fishing for traditional sportfish. Don't be overwhelmed by the size of a big river. Often you don't have to boat miles to find fish. Break down the area that you want to focus on and might be more productive than trying to see it all.

Profile Email PM
stick500
 October 10 2017 05:03PM  
Regular Contributor

there's a different slot limit on walleyes from Dubuque down to Bellevue IIRC

15-20" for keepers and 1 over 27"

double-check your regs for Miss. at Dubuque to make sure I have it right

there was quite a bit of grass below the dam at Dubuque yesterday from that storm a couple days ago

Profile Email PM
Fishin General
 October 11 2017 08:42AM  

My buddy has shore fished around Dubuque a couple times but that's all. Thanks for the tip on the maps those look super helpful. On the maps are the grey lines around parts of the channel and some islands some type of wing dam?

I've heard good things about the Guttenburg area so i think that might be the place we try. Are some of the backwater "lakes" accessible by fishing boat? How deep do these lakes get?

Profile Email PM
walleye17
 October 11 2017 06:39PM  

be very careful at guttenberg they raised all the gates this morning i saw all kinds of things floating including half sunk trees.

Profile Email PM
Wildcats789
 October 11 2017 07:58PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Yes, those grey lines represent the wingdams.

Profile Email PM
LONESUMGUS
 October 12 2017 04:13PM  
Regular Contributor

I think id opt for another time, the river is coming up good and full of grass, not to mention all the other stuff coming along, specially if this is your first time

Profile Email PM
VScott
 October 13 2017 12:23PM  

Most of the time the Miss isn't "mean" at all but can get that way. It's certainly different than fishing a res or smaller impoundment and there's going to be a learning curve. After getting past that it very likely might be your favorite place to fish. Agreed, Guttenberg would be a good place to put in for your first time on the river. Pools 9 & 10 are better though, IMO. The grass thing, when it's really heavy it's hardly worth messing with.

Profile Email PM
Fishin General
 October 13 2017 03:27PM  

We got a hotel booked so we are going to put some rain gear on and give it our best shot. I picked up some heavy one eyes and buck tail jigs. Maybe get some crank baits and its game on. If it's really frustrating on pool 9, we are going to pull out the fly rods and waders!

Looks like the rain expectations for Prairie Du Chien area went down some thankfully.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:59 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.12 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com