Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/19/2017 @ 03:00 PM

Forum Index > Trapping / Fur Handling > Trapping New Topic Post Reply
 Black trap wax???

|  Printable Version
Coonsqualler
 October 11 2017 11:26AM (Read 486 times)  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Have always used standard white trap wax but have wondered about throwing a block or two of the black into my wax pot as it's getting a bit low after waxing my K9 traps this fall. Anyone use it or have an opinion on it?

My AR has never assulted anyone, but I know that damn thing is thinking about it...that's why i keep it locked up.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 October 11 2017 11:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Coonsqualler

Have always used standard white trap wax but have wondered about throwing a block or two of the black into my wax pot as it's getting a bit low after waxing my K9 traps this fall. Anyone use it or have an opinion on it?

What would be the point of the black wax, supposing you've dyed your traps? Or does the black wax mean you don't have to? I honestly have not seen any colored trap wax ever, but granted Ive always bought the same kind and from the same place, so I don't look around at wax much.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
outdoorsron
 October 11 2017 02:14PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Hello: Don't see that it would hurt anything. Good Luck. O - R

Profile Email PM
Coonsqualler
 October 11 2017 02:15PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I've seen several trapping supply places selling it. (Snare shop is our local outlet) Claim is that is has "special bonding agents" to create a stronger bond to the trap and I suppose give it some color for about 50 cents more per pound. I've always dyed and waxed with clear wax and never any problems but wondered if anyone had tried this stuff.

My AR has never assulted anyone, but I know that damn thing is thinking about it...that's why i keep it locked up.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 October 11 2017 05:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: outdoorsron

Hello: Don't see that it would hurt anything. Good Luck. O - R

Can't hurt anything, although my wax is a brown color from dyeing with walnuts I suppose. I just add more as the level gets too low to be functional.

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
JD Rogge
 October 14 2017 08:40PM  

Seems a bit gimmicky honestly if you're k9 trapping your trap will be bedded/buried/blended anyway, the color of the trap or the wax is a non issue, I'd buy the white if its cheaper.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:00 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.18 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com