Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/19/2017 @ 02:50 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > Bass Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Smallmouth in creek

|  Printable Version
firepoggy
 October 12 2017 07:30AM (Read 579 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

When the water was down I found a pool full of catfish. By the time I got around to fishing it the water had risen. Much to my surprise several smallmouth are now occupying the area. I keep getting good strikes but these boogers are quick to spit the lure. Any suggestions as I have thrown everything I can think of at them. I did manage to get one to swallow a mister twisty good enough for a hook set.[/URL]

Profile Email PM
maxx
 October 12 2017 08:19AM  
Forum Senior Member

I was going to say a jig and a twister tail. Rattle traps are really good small mouth lures also but they may be hard to throw in that shallow of water.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
HEUY
 October 12 2017 10:37AM  
Forum Senior Member

Live bait on a Circle hook. Not too hard to release a fish and sometimes better than a treble hook.

Always remember what's important in your life!

Profile Email PM
Kent T
 October 12 2017 11:15AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

2 3/4" floating Rapala in silver. Reel it in on a steady medium retrieve just below the surface.

Profile Email PM
stick500
 October 12 2017 11:20AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Late in the season I've run into many pools with a whole group of really fussy smallmouths- I think they've all been caught a couple of times or something. And they of course see me since the water is so low and clear (as well as my dog).

I throw everything at them and I even tried the live minnow on a circle hook when I had a bucket of them in the car- no dice!

Then I'll move up or down the creek and find some in the current that are feeding and can't see me and then I get that great smallmouth aggressiveness where they pound just about anything that moves.

Weird!

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.11 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:50 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.17 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com