Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/16/2017 @ 06:57 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Yellow Perch

|  Printable Version
SchlitzBeer
 October 12 2017 11:06AM (Read 1561 times)  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I'll probably get some backlash from the haters on here but I'm going to ask it anyways. Is anyone willing to tell me some good lakes to fish for some quality sized yellow perch? I've never got one over 7" and would surely enjoy catching some bigger ones. You can PM if you want or just reply. I don't need a paragraph telling me that I need to get out and try spots instead of being lazy and sitting on the computer either.

Profile Email PM
Norhawk
 October 12 2017 11:11AM  

From what I seen around here in the Eastern Iowa area if you want bigger Perch you will need to go to the Mississippi. In the CR area there are some Perch in Pleasant Creek, but most of those are 7" Perch. Otherwise I heard Spirit Lake is good for Perch too.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 October 12 2017 11:32AM  
Forum Senior Member

Spirit Lake / Okoboji are the only lakes in Iowa where I have had luck with consistently catching good perch. There are a lot of smaller lakes in northern Iowa where I've caught good perch in the spring/fall on certain years, but they are very cyclical. (good for 1 year, dead for a few years etc). Right now the only lake I've heard anyone doing well on perch is Spirit.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 October 12 2017 12:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

What lakes and methods are you trying now? I try to put out one rod with a minnow under a bobber, one with a piece of worm or wax worm and I jig a small jigging spoon with the third rod. If the bobber rods show a big preference I will switch to that bait.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
1luckyguy
 October 12 2017 12:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Spirit Lake for good numbers of 9-11" fish.
Mississippi River Pools 9-11 if you're looking for the new state record.

The next time the state record Yellow Perch is broken it will be out of the Mississippi River....I'd lay a bet on it. Last spring we caught one that was 15 in" and 2lbs 4oz....3 oz shy of the state record. There are some monster perch in the backwaters of the Mississippi. Caught my limit of nice perch (9-12") on the Mississippi many times this year. I'm looking forward to ice fishing season!

Tough times don't last....... Tough people do.

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 October 12 2017 01:19PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Mississippi is where it's at if you want tanks. this is a GREAT time of year for them too.

Profile Email PM
SchlitzBeer
 October 12 2017 09:06PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Thanks guys. I've tried Clear Lake but never anything of size. I do get back to Dubuque a few times but end up going for walleyes/saugers. I've ice fished the backwaters growing up and always found bluegill. Never had luck with getting into perch. What was I missing?

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 October 12 2017 10:53PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In southern IA, there are nice perch in 12 Mile Lake near Creston.

IGL

Like others, I would take the Mississippi over all of these spots. I have caught them in fantastic size (9-14") and numbers on pool 4 in the past few years. Keys up in MN, WI, and on south to pool 9 include finding backwater side channels with current and cover. In early June on pool 4 the perch were keyed on grass beds in 4-6' of water. Rigging was simple with slip bobbers, #6 octupus hooks, and half a crawler. Early in the morning we caught them near shore, and as it got lighter they moved to deeper water and closer to the current. We also found them in the same holes as some very nice bluegills behind brushpiles with access to side currents.

Good luck!

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
1luckyguy
 October 13 2017 11:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: SchlitzBeer

Thanks guys. I've tried Clear Lake but never anything of size. I do get back to Dubuque a few times but end up going for walleyes/saugers. I've ice fished the backwaters growing up and always found bluegill. Never had luck with getting into perch. What was I missing?

Not sure your age but I also never had much luck on perch back in the late 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. Since about 2007 the perch population in the Mississippi River has exploded. Back in the 90's if I caught a perch it was a pretty rare occurance, now I get limits of them if I find them, just like I do with bluegills. I do best on tip-downs with lively crappie minnows in the winter. Half a night crawler on the bottom near weed beds in the summer. I usually fish pools 9 & 10 from New Albin down to Guttenberg and everything in between.

Tough times don't last....... Tough people do.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 06:57 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.33 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com